free hit
counters
Turbo Se Exhausts - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Turbo Se Exhausts

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a good write up on LEW - re - Sports exhausts.

I'm also in the market for one. Probably go for the SJ version, but will see if anything pops it head up at Stoneleigh.

Who here as an SJ rear box ? and how much better does it sound ? (rating out of 10 please).

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Torque Technique in Salisbury

End of thread!

The Avenue, Wilton, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP2 0BT Tel: 01722 744747

Hand made and designed for balance and taste. Excellent workmanship / welding - best I've ever seen

Nick's V8 Twin exit, Sounded like a WWII bomber! Was SUPERB!!!!!

Edited by evil_dr_fish

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

I've heard quicksilver and blueflame exhausts......

It will sound loud and fairly pleasing.

It won't be balanced for performance but will be designed to make you smile (which is as fair a reason as any!)

The quality of workmanship / welding isn't up to much imho.

Check out Nick and Bibs' exhausts at Stoneleigh on Sunday and see what you think? They are set up for engine balance and the welding is spot on (sorry, no pun intended)

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

I only got my exhaust from them at the beginning of this year so can't believe they've put their prices up significantly ?!?!

They do have a lot of Esprit exhausts listed - mine is the following:

LOTUS

LO057S

Esprit Turbo 'Sports' - with box 1xtp 'Cat'

1989-2000

And mine certainly isn't 'mirror finish' - it will be soon though as its one of my winter projects to polish it up properly :blink:

I believe ALL their exhausts are made from 18/8 304 aircraft grade stainless however I still maintain their welding isn't up to much.

And finally, make sure you specify what tailpipe finish you want as I failed to do so and got an unpolished, unfinished tailpipe with a 'Halfords best' chrome tailpipe cover. Wasn't happy with that so sent it back (to resolve previously mentioned exit location problems) and asked for a properly polished 'slash cut' tailpipe. They were happy to do this but it all just added to the grief of having the car off the road while waiting for a properly fitting exhaust only 2 months after I'd bought the car.

Steve

89 SE Pacific Blue

http://lexi.mantaur.co.uk

I only got my exhaust from them at the beginning of this year so can't believe they've put their prices up significantly ?!?!

They do have a lot of Esprit exhausts listed - mine is the following:

LOTUS

LO057S

Esprit Turbo 'Sports' - with box 1xtp 'Cat'

1989-2000

And mine certainly isn't 'mirror finish' - it will be soon though as its one of my winter projects to polish it up properly :blink:

I believe ALL their exhausts are made from 18/8 304 aircraft grade stainless however I still maintain their welding isn't up to much.

And finally, make sure you specify what tailpipe finish you want as I failed to do so and got an unpolished, unfinished tailpipe with a 'Halfords best' chrome tailpipe cover. Wasn't happy with that so sent it back (to resolve previously mentioned exit location problems) and asked for a properly polished 'slash cut' tailpipe. They were happy to do this but it all just added to the grief of having the car off the road while waiting for a properly fitting exhaust only 2 months after I'd bought the car.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh dear, bargepole and wouldnt touch come to mind......

I'll second Fishy on the Torque Technique's plug. Mine is amazing, nuff said and I recently got one for the aforementioned GT3. The welding is like a line drawn with a pen and sound is to die for. I paid a tad over

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

If anyone sees a fat bloke rolling around under the back of an Esprit at the Stoneleigh show, it might well be me checking out peoples systems :D

Don't look at mine :blink:

It had a very small amount of gum around the pipe/backbox join. Am getting new manifold (already bought) and a cat removal and new box after Christmas.

The Rub is:

I was Soooo paranoid the perfectly intact repair would fail in the meantime,

I have blitzed it with exhaust sealant to the point it looks almost organic and poolike.

Please do not assume this is my style, should you have a gaze under :) .

I don't care what it looks like on its way from the car to the bin :D

my car has done 56000 and it looks like it could be the original system.

I am wanting to lob the cat, along with the seized on and wedged open(nuts and bolts almost rusted to nothing) ebpv, and have a slightly sportier rasp to the new silencer. it looks to me like if the downpipe to the turbo nuts come off without too much trouble, the whole lot might fit straight in a wheelie bin fairly easily. dont see any reason to keep the cat on an H plate car, so its gotta go.

fairly pleased with my latest rebolting on of the manifold, (what i did was to remove some of the loosest studs, and wind a stainless nut on a longer stainless screw, then wind it right down to the bottom of the helicoil, then do up the nut properly. this seems to work well. bending over all the lock tabs seems to be a good idea too, not just a couple! )

Manifold doesnt seem to be cracked at all, the chuffing has stopped, and i can now hear/see the leak in the silencer, along the seam.

if i bought a system that was too loud, it might end up p1$$1ng me off in the long run, as i do want to commute to work in it, go away for weekends in it etc...

so its gotta be a bit louder/meaner than standard, but not the full monty.

so, see u all at Stoneleigh, or maybe the pub car park before

• 3 weeks later...

quick update on the old exhaust situation.

went for a later spec S4 St/St sport system and EBPV spacer from SJ Sportscars in the end, couldnt be ar$ed to drive 300 miles for someone to make one for it to be the same and much more expensive and I researched a bit about turbo exhausts to find:- it aint complicated, they aint rocket science, thats what I do at work all day.

observations so far

1, its really light when i was fitting it,

2, its the same design/construction as the X180R replica one, with a small shiney box in middle, seems very well made with nicely formed mandrel bent bends etc,

3, it fits SO well, nearly rang up Steve straight away at SJ, (but it was midnight) to get him to congratulate his new exhaust supplier, i could hardly believe it,

4, it sounds the nuts, just a bit of a roar, not full house waste of space loudness, like Johnny boy racer down the sainsbury's car park and it pulls like a train now, boost building seemingly earlier and stronger, it's miles better,

5, it is very well priced compared to all other options

6, rather usefully, someone had already removed the ceramic matrix of the cat, so as the casing was still servicable, i saved a ton on not getting rid of the cat for a bypass pipe,

and 7, it spits some tasty flames on the full throttle over run, which is nice.

Edited by pitstoppete

• 6 months later...

I did the same upgrade to my 89.5 SE (JS sent it across the pond) with the same results... Just great.

I gutted my cat and now I am failing emmisions testing with a high HC (hydrocarbon) level... Any advice would be appreciated.

went for a later spec S4 St/St sport system and EBPV spacer from SJ Sportscars in the end, couldnt be ar$ed to drive 300 miles for someone to make one for it to be the same and much more expensive and I researched a bit about turbo exhausts to find:- it aint complicated, they aint rocket science, thats what I do at work all day.

observations so far

1, its really light when i was fitting it,

2, its the same design/construction as the X180R replica one, with a small shiney box in middle, seems very well made with nicely formed mandrel bent bends etc,

3, it fits SO well, nearly rang up Steve straight away at SJ, (but it was midnight) to get him to congratulate his new exhaust supplier, i could hardly believe it,

4, it sounds the nuts, just a bit of a roar, not full house waste of space loudness, like Johnny boy racer down the sainsbury's car park and it pulls like a train now, boost building seemingly earlier and stronger, it's miles better,

5, it is very well priced compared to all other options

6, rather usefully, someone had already removed the ceramic matrix of the cat, so as the casing was still servicable, i saved a ton on not getting rid of the cat for a bypass pipe,

and 7, it spits some tasty flames on the full throttle over run, which is nice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Over in the USA a lot of people have been removing the cat and muffler and using straight pipes. The muffler does not really make it that much quieter and the noise is not objectionable in our turbo cars as the turbo dampens the noise anyways.

Also we get a flame out the pipe that sort of looks neat.

Currently we have no emissions inspections so it is fine with us.

In my case I rammed out the cat matrix and my empty cat acts like a hollow resonator.

Calvin

I purchased an exhaust from Stebro. They are now located in Canada.

The single tip stailess steel can went for around 800 U.S. Looks to be well built and has held up well under hard usage.

Only compliant is with the factory mounting tabs. They are useless and will crack off in short order. I had my local muffler shop weld on some st. steel strapping and now the can is holdng up fine.

The stebro can is at least 50% lighter then the OEM stock unit and has a pleasant low throaty sound.

For track days I use a CAT bypass which does indeed result in a nice foot long flame when loaded up. Used that little trick to flame the front of a highway tail-gater on the way home from one of our track days. You should have seen the look on his face when the front of his car got torched. :unsure:

With the cat bypass the car screams at full chat. Almost obnoxious around town and has a tendancy to pop on throttle let-off.

Stebro also offers a dual exhaut tip unit for not much more in cost. Great support from the factory should a problem arise.

Info should be available on their web page.

Al B.

89 Espit Turbo

Houston, Tx.

I Fitted a Larini exhaust on my SE

super sound especially when you let go of the trottle

It moans mumbles like my mother in law

more torque and even nice flames at night (combination with #6 red race chip and bigger injectors)

I let somebody else drive my car to see the light show.

costs about

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing