free hit
counters
On the day. Sunday 23rd Sept 2007 - Page 2 - Lotus Factory '40 years of Production' Day - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DBredS4

On the day. Sunday 23rd Sept 2007

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi all

Kimbers, you might not be banned, but others might! :blush:

I had a fab time this weekend and it was great to meet up with everyone again. Saturday night was really good fun,leading to a brill show - love the factory (and Lotus Carlton / M250), getting to see the design and test side and I really want to see one of those engines going 'bang' in the test cells.

Having had another entertaining Sunday evening (missed out on the welsh belly dancing though), felt good to go to brekky with a clear head although I might have been the only one!

Thanks LEF and Lotus for another great weekend and glad that Elise 111s is safe and only shaken.

See you all soon for Stoneleigh/60th.

LouX

post-1-039744300201278592955.jpg

Thanks! There's some great shots in there, but the ones of the M250 are my favorites.

R eyes the return of deposit letter from Lotus (framed on the wall) and is glad he didn't see it in the flesh yesterday. It would have been too much to bear.

As Jon put it, 'the best car lotus never made'.

Great pics Jon.

What a weekend! :) :) :)

Thanks to Kimber, Bibs, and Laura for organising the accommodation and LEF events... and for the rest of you for turning up and being such a great bunch - once again the LEF stay-over added so much more to the event. Great to meet so many of you again, and some of you for the first time :angry: Simon350 - I'd like to see a little less of you in future, if that's OK...? ;)

Top marks to Lotus - thank you so much :P This was my fourth trip to the factory, and it was very nearly the tour to end all tours! I couldn't believe how much freedom we had to wander around, how much had been opened up specifically for us to see, and how much preparation had gone into making sure the event was a success. Getting to see inside the design centre was very cool, especially with the M250, Exige GT3, and APX concepts there for us to have a good look at. Sorting out the weather was just the icing on the cake :welcome:

Lots had been learnt from the Classic Team Lotus 50th, where the loos and catering vans were in short supply - the place was heaving with people but plenty of facilities were in place so there were no real queues for anything. Poshest portable loos I've seen :angry:

It took me ages to realise that there was a 'right' way and a 'wrong' way round the tour... eventually the purpose of all the red parcel tape arrows on the floor started to sink in :crazy: I'm sure it would have helped if I had read the programme but I was too excited to waste time reading the instructions :blush::D

A fantastic day out, and I hope it was as productive for Lotus as it was enjoyable for us attendees.

Dan

"He who dies with the most toys wins..."

It took me ages to realise that there was a 'right' way and a 'wrong' way round the tour... eventually the purpose of all the red parcel tape arrows on the floor started to sink in :crazy: I'm sure it would have helped if I had read the programme but I was too excited to waste time reading the instructions :blush::angry:

Ahhhh you too?!!! :welcome: Me and the Mrs and kids thought it was a disassembly plant! :angry:

.........and where are all the pics? I thought I wouldn't bother going back to get my camera as everyone would post up their pics instead!!! Where's Mat? Yasuo? Si? any one!!!!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Highlight was the M250 for me, always loved that car - sitting in it and dreaming a bit was really special (even if the drivers door did fall on me really painfully...no one saw, I hope). Does make me wonder - SO many people love that car yet Lotus never went ahead with completing the project into production - if the 'Eagle' looks anything remotely like that my Esprit days are under serious threat I am affraid.

The doors were a pain in the backside though - needed scissors to be effective imo, OK for Mclaren F1s but not a car like that.

Sorry to hear about the Elise guy too - just seen the pictures and couldn't really believe how that happened, the audi is parked ontop of the Elise !

Glad he was OK though, just one of those things by all accounts.

facebook = [email protected]

Check out this link. Some great pics on LEC......but check out their comments on all of us! Great bunch of guys! :blush:

http://www.lotuselancentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10731

Here's a quick summary:

think we've all gotta take over the wensum with the LEF boys.....

what a cracking night we had the night before

and theyre all so afable and like a beer or two

Gareth can't count. That was never A beer or TWO!

But I have to agree with both sentiments - a fantastic weekend, and a bloody good bunch. Wish we could do it every year.

LEF boys drink like fish.......

and drive like c...$

I had to miss the drinking session 'cos I was still high on adrenaline from the "saunter" up from Birchanger Green (aka bibs the black blur............)

We had a great time Saturday and Sunday, thanks to Ailwyn, Sy, Neil, MrG and the Esprit boys for being such a good laugh!

I think you'll all agree they were a great bunch!

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Yep I had a good time too, as did my friend Andy a prospective Elise owner.

Shame I got pulled as I drove up to the factory gate but the copper was a nice chap, had a little word with me, shook hands, told me I had a lovely car and let me get on with my business:-)

Regards

Fred

Edited by Fred Basset

Great weekend , thanks to bibs laura and kimbers for all the hard work, thanks to all who came nice to meet old and new friends,

I got stuck in the tailbacks on the A11 on the way home on sunday, put about an hour on my journey, feel sorry for the Elise guy.

thanks to Katie for the biccy, more please, hope you all enjoyed your wine on saturday night ,

will post my pics in due course

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

I'll sort out my pics shortly but just to say for now, 'WHAT A GREAT WEEKEND!' :blush::welcome::angry:

Thanks very much to you guys too for your sneaky collection, that went a long way to settling my bill at the hotel and was a really kind and unexpected gesture which was very much welcomed, very kind of you. Thanks to Gordon for organising and to everyone else who put in, I feel very humbled by your kindness :angry:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

I'm still very tired after our long journey back, courtesy of the recovery truck, but it was a fantastic weekend and lovely to see everyone again.

I just wanted to echo Bibs' thanks. It was so kind and generous of you to put together a collection for us. As ever these events are a labour of love and it's thanks enough to see everyone enjoying themselves. For you all to go that bit further to show your appreciation really means a lot to both of us and, as Bibs said, very much helped when it came to settling the bill, in fact it almost covered our drinks tab :blush:

Hi,

Brilliant day yesterday, couldn't wish for better weather and entertainment! :blush:

I arrived at 9.30, but didn't leave the car park until gone 10.30! :) Just taking video and photos of all the cars arriving. The tour was excellent, I've been around the old part of the factory a few times over the years, but this tour was all new to me, the staff done an excellent job preparing the factory. It was good to see the engine testing section, this is perhaps where I would have been working if I had accepted the job offer many years back, it was to be involved in Lotus Engineering testing engines.

I met loads of people and have put faces to names now from the forum, also some old familiar faces. I bumped into Nick Fulcher who I have known for many years now and has a long connection with Lotus, I first met him when he trimmed my Cobra replica back in 1989, and most recently he fixed my webasto roof in my VW Lupo before I sold it, he's a nice guy, knows his Lotuses and trim work.

I had to laugh at the turn table that the new GT3 sat on in the design centre, the noise it was making, obviously not a Lotus design, it seriously needed some oil! :D Although it could be...........my Esprit does creak and rattle a lot! ;):)

How do we get on with posting images on the forum? After my last conversation with Lotus before the event they said even forums where not allowed to post anything from the day. Does this still stand? Anyone know? I'll post if we are allowed.

Also a big thanks to the NMEG members for voting my logo the winning design, I was very pleased to win and will wear the watch with pride, only special occasions, limited wear like the Esprit on limited mileage! :angry: I was surprised that no one recognised me as my pic is on my profile and I walked in with Bigsi, and I know some have viewed my profile!

Lotus definitely got it right this time, I think it helped that the amount of people wasn't perhaps as high as last time at the 50th, just the right amount of attendants. The toilets weren't those horrible pee splatted blue tardis's, very posh ones this time, there were plenty of food and drink stalls. Perhaps a major let down was the lack of merchandise, but from what I hear this was delayed from the suppliers so didn't make this event, I bet they are kicking themselves. Plenty of Classic Team Lotus stuff, but some items a bit pricey.

My favourite F1 car on display and perhaps the best looking F1 car ever, the lotus 79, that's one car I would have to buy if I won the lotto! :welcome:

I had a great time and can't wait until the next event, they should seriously look at making this sort of thing a regular event, possibly bi-yearly so's not to cheapen the whole experience, but not wait until the 50th before another one. They could have one next year there, Classic Team Lotus celebrating 30 years since the last time Lotus won an F1 world championship, I'm sure there will be something in the pipeline. :angry:

Owen.

Edited by OwenGT3

Had a great weekend with all the usual suspects (and a few new ones), it's always good fun at an LEF bash!

Many, many thanks to the guys+gals at Hethel for making the day such a fantastic event. I'd imagine the production line will take a day or two to put back together after such an invasion. We chatted to a couple of 'STAFF' shirted peeps and they were more than happy to our answer inane questions about all the goings-on in production and engineering. Good times.

Hethel40th023.jpg

Hethel40th019.jpg

Hethel40th001.jpg

Hethel40th027.jpg

Hethel40th028.jpg

Hethel40th021.jpg

Hethel40th003.jpg

Hethel40th010.jpg

Anyone got pics of the Convoy from Stanstead on Saturday? Did my arse look big in that? :angry:

Seen loads of the factory, but lets see the real stuff! Party and general milling about!!! :blush:

I meant the first night, don't wanna see Simons ass! :blush:

Well sorry I'm a bit late here. Was drinking till 5.00am this morning, so you can imagine that after driving back up to Madchester I crashed out and am only just surfacing.

I don't think I can add to what everyone else has already said, so I'll just say a very heartfelt thanks to all of you for helping provide me with a fantastic weekend. The welsh belly dancer was hilarious!

Bibs/Kimbers/Laura thank you so much for all the organising. As others have said, a huge thanks to Lotus too. They had obviously put a hell of a lot of work into the day.

Kimbers, the pics are good, but I'm up to my ears in packing for my move so they'll prob go on photobucket towards the end of the week. Here's a few tasters though......

post-245-1190670122.jpg

post-245-1190670142.jpg

post-245-1190670155.jpg

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

post-245-1190670122.jpg

:blush: What did I say earlier about Mr and Mrs scared Polo driver!! There they are in the background, weaving about trying to get past for the 3rd time!! :angry:

Another long 8 hour drive home and just under 800 miles put on the Esprit since very early Sat morning. A problem free Esprit (apart from the odd buff of smoke when on track) After a faultless drive home, pretty sure it was the oil cap that Peter England found was loose was the cause of the prob although Troy said he will give it a compression test next week - fingers crossed.

Really nice to see everybody again enjoying themselves at the Hotel and a car park of Esprits (best view from any Hotel bedroom window I know) The only downside being my Saturday night bar bill - HOW MUCH!

Factory day was all that was hoped for - very well organised with lots to see and do. Never a dull moment.

The whole weekend went by far too quickly again so thanks to all who attended for making the weekend what it was. :blush:

Hi,

By the way, there's already a 40th Hethel goodie bag on ebay! :angry:

40th Lotus goodie bag on eBay

As they were giving them away on your way out if you left late in the day, I wouldn't have thought it would get much.

Owen

Didn't even manage to get one.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I have a spare goodie bag....would you like it?

I would like to say yes please but have no idea what is in it really - think somebody said a mag and a mousemat.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

mousemat and coaster, booklet, limited edition Lotus 40th pin (nice too!) few other bits and pieces. Very nice addition.

Yet another weekend of drunken over the top debauchery, no wonder we felt so much at home. :D

Simon you are a legend in your own pants, not sure about the shoe, photo taking, fetish you might need to have a quite word with someone about that :) . Caroline was upset to miss the belly dancing :blush: ; I on the other hand now have to seek some professional help to recover from the experience. ;)

Great to see so many familiar faces as well as some new ones and hope everyone got home safely.

Massive thanks to the usual suspects, for organising a great weekend. :angry::angry:

Lotus did us all proud :welcome: , what a fantastic day with so much to see. Getting totally and hopelessly lost around the place just added to the whole experience.

Thanks again to all

Cliff & Caroline

Edited by gghc87

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein