free hit
counters
Just talked to Bibs.....on the back of a breakdown truck - Lotus Factory '40 years of Production' Day - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kimbers

Just talked to Bibs.....on the back of a breakdown truck

Just spoken to Bibs and he's been a bad boy going far too fast and breaking his car.....from now on called the black blur.....he suspects he's buggered the turbo. Hope it's not too serious dude.

Great weekend well done mate, I'm sure you know the right people to get bits from, but if I can help you know where I am.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Meh :angry:

Driving back this afternoon I'd covered about 60 miles of the A12 and heading through some roadworks at 50 the turbo sounded different than usual so I was about to pull into the services 400 yds ahead to check it out (read: point at it) and lost all boost. I pulled up in the car park in a cloud of blue smoke and noticed the chargecooler was really cold, nice :blush:

Nothing evident from a quick visual inspection so started the car again and it sounded fine but lost oil pressure and the telltale came on with the CEL. Checked the oil, full up and dandy still and after a few seconds it picked back up and the tell tale went out but with a gentle touch of the throttle more blue smoke from the engine bay so left it alone for a while and rang 'Flux Rescue' and LEF Engineering. Some white smoke from the exhaust when I drove onto the low loader (very, very slowly) but that may have been condensation, it was very chilly.

Looks like it's time for one of these :angry:

turbo.jpg

Shit luck - sounds classic turbo failure (you and turbos eh !?)

I was hoping it wasn't something come lose and enter the compressor itself - happens sometimes and causes a LOT of damage (think thats what JasonS4s had happen).

Sounds like a bolt on replacement, use it as an excuse to upgrade :blush:

360 degree bearing etc

I went through 2 or 3 turbos before I got one with a 360 thrust bearing, they are supposedly a lot more reliable and I havent had a problem with mine so far, had it about 2 years.

If i had the dosh I would send it over to John Welch for a replacement.

Sorry to hear about the Turbo woes Bibs. Small consolation, but at least it got some serious use on the way up to the Wensum on Saturday :blush:

Bibs,

Sorry to hear about the car trouble. Hope it isn't going to be expensive and you are back on the road quickly.

I like the Dunkirk spirit of Esprit ownership. When faced with the prospect of potentially expensive failures, we pull ourselves together and plan the next upgrade.

Regards,

Peter.

HI Bibs, I'm very sorry about your problem.

I don't understand anything about turbo but if it's good as replacement or improvement for your car take a look at ebay number: 170035292345

They are cheap and brand new.

I will try to find another brand new turbo from a deutch seller if these are not good for your car.

I have seen it a month ago and I know for sure that it was not selled.

Ciao :blush:

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I've had a whole lot of fun in the car and covered around 2,500 miles in the 2 weeks and 2 days since the MOT so it's been brave, held up well in the face of extreme labour requests and done it's duty, however taken early retirement.

Troy is heading up later so I'll then actually know what's wrong with the car. It's a shame as Laura and I had planned on driving across to Switzerland/Italy this week so that's not gonna happen but you can't account for breakdowns so we'll do it another time!

:blush:

sorry to hear about this , we came down the A12 in the afternoon but didn't spot you, so we must have been ahead. Think we even pulled into the same garage, shell I think just before the road works/speed cameras.

hope it gets fixed soon

Sorry to hear that Bibs, FWIW I saw you heading up past the Norfolk showground from the bus, and your car looks fantastic! Don't forget to come out and see us!

I like the Dunkirk spirit of Esprit ownership. When faced with the prospect of potentially expensive failures, we pull ourselves together and plan the next upgrade.

Alternatively Lotus need to design a working part which should come with all Esprits called a 'Troy'

I can confirm they work extremely well on all vechiles and are extremely competitively priced.

Troy has just been over and did a compression check which has come back ok. There is oil on both sides of the turbo in the exhaust and inlet tract and there is 3/4mm play in the shaft so it looks like it's time for a recon on the turbo. Looking at the prices of the uprated ones I'll not be able to get one of those at the moment so I'll speak to Turbo Technics and send it to them for the rebuild and ceramic 360 bearings etc. Fingers crossed I'll be back on the road asap with a little less lag too. Big thanks to Troy as ever for his help, I'd be lost without him!

Troy has just been over and did a compression check which has come back ok. There is oil on both sides of the turbo in the exhaust and inlet tract and there is 3/4mm play in the shaft so it looks like it's time for a recon on the turbo. Looking at the prices of the uprated ones I'll not be able to get one of those at the moment so I'll speak to Turbo Technics and send it to them for the rebuild and ceramic 360 bearings etc. Fingers crossed I'll be back on the road asap with a little less lag too. Big thanks to Troy as ever for his help, I'd be lost without him!

Hi there Bibs!

Really sorry to hear about the problems, but happy that it is "only" the Turbo - could have been a lot worse.

... and especially sorry to hear you won't be making the European road trip - was looking forward to welcoming both Laura and yourself over here in Switzerland :crybaby:

Just in case anyone reading the thread starts to think Esprits are unreliable.......

I've just arrived home in Z

Ahhh yes.

"Bibs with his degree in pointing, assists the driver of the recovery truck with the loading"

:)