free hit
counters
Bugger... ! head gasket ! - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Bugger... ! head gasket !

Hi All,

Have some more findings....

Poking about near the water pump I noticed that one of the cam pulleys has been busily sawing through the water pump inlet hose, no obvious leak but it looks (feels) like it was munched at least 2/3rds of the way through.

Squeezing the big pipe into the head I hear a metallic tinkling noise from inside the thermostat housing, I suspect it has disintegrated and may have something to do with my low running temperature.

Upon disassembly of the air filter duct I noticed very large quantity of brown mayonnaise coming from the breather pipe and coating the inside of the element housing and running down the turbo intake pipe. How much would you expect here? I always understood there would be a bit of oil/water mixing due to condensation but this seems excessive.

Looking down into the header tank when the engine is started the level drops about 5 inches and when turned off after a minute the level gurgles back to a little higher than where it started.

Lost count of times that the radiator has been bled, tried the 'burping the esprit' and when left on idle to get hot a constant trickle of coolant is expelled from the open header with large bubbles of air appearing as well. Assuming someone agrees to give the postmen a decent pension I'll have a block tester kit very soon and be able to see if these are combustion gases.

The upshot is whatever the result of the test I've committed myself to pull this engine out and get everything sorted out including those things that will inevitably surface along the way.

Ambrose

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ambrose

I am the victim of two head gasket failures, both were caused by detonation on number four cylinder.....

There will be mayo in the breather but not that much....

The only way to really tell is a gas sniffer (exhaust gas analyser) in the expansion tank....Good news though after second headgasket failure i lost water again and thought here we go again, after testing with sniffer it showed that all was ok yet i still lost water after a hard run... Turns out to be the new rad cap that i had fitted, put the old one back on and all was fine. worth a try before you pull the motor..

Squeezing the big pipe into the head I hear a metallic tinkling noise from inside the thermostat housing, I suspect it has disintegrated and may have something to do with my low running temperature.

Mine does that when I do that too, and its working fine. A caveat though - I put it down to it being like every thermostat I've ever seen, all of which do rattle a bit. It doesn't mean its disintegrated, but it might not be functioning properly anyway.

Hi,

Though Id let you know what has been going on.

I got a 'block tester' to test the gases above the expansion tank and each one of the three tests I did was positive, so I've started the procedure to remove the engine. All going well due to PPPO Richard's stainless steel fixing fetish.

Ive read quite a few of your posts AJay - very informative. I really want to understand the cooling system more, it turns out that this one doesn't have the cooling mod i.e. extra expansion tank and I'm thinking about doing this.

Attached are some pictures of the gunk in the air box and down the air feed to the turbo...

Richard, Ill be replacing that thermostat maybe with an alternative bypass type, I think the one that is in there is very old indeed.

Ambrose

That looks a familier sight.........

Ref the Lotus Cooling Mod. When I re-did all my engine hoses 2 yrs ago, as there was no diagram in the parts manual, I drew a diagram in order to help me ensure I put it all back together correctly. I will try to dig it out & post it here for you.

AJ was able to convert his using this diagram & he sourced the parts from else where at a fraction of the cost from Lotus.

Daz

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

Ambrose,

As I recall, someone on the forum by the name 'lotusmotors' mentioned that the coolant passageway in the block behind the pump impeller could be opened up to increase flow. Supposedly it was done on 'later' engines, but I don't know what is considered 'later'

It might be worth looking into.

Cheers, Lee

If you are considering the cooling system upgrade, then here is a diagram of how it all goes together. Like I've mentioned, for some reason there is not a diagram showing this in the Parts manual. However the parts manual does list the kit & all the parts required for it. You'll note the numbers I have placed next to each item. This corresponds with that parts list.

EspritCoolingsystemS3Turboupgradedi.jpg

This show what all the pipes that are hiden in front of the engine look like.

DSCN2730.jpg

The Expansion Tank. Nothing realy speacial about this. Rover I think.

DSCN4485.jpg

Hi

Daz, thanks very much I will study this, will certainly help my understanding of the system. Looks like I need to get some of those oddly shaped aluminium pipes from Lotus but the I'd like if possible to replace all of the pipes with silicone ones, though some of them need to be odd shapes as well. Ive found a bypass thermostat (1/4 the price of Lotus one) which I'd like to position in a more serviceable location than the original, I just hate that mish mash pipes and clips floating and rattling about in a very awkward location...

This particular pipe(picture), from the rad to the pump, took bloody ages to get off and it was resting on the cam pulley. I'll have to find a better solution when the engine goes back in. Im interested to learn what other people clearance is to the pulley.

Thanks for the tip Lee, Ill do a search and mention it to the guy who will be doing my rebuild.

Ambrose

Ambrose,

Nice pic. That pipe is (was) the bain of my existence as I tried to replace it twice with pipes that looked just-about right, only to have it sliced through by the timing belt / pulley once again.

The Lotus part is a double-bent pipe, that gets it away from the belt. I ordered one from my Lotus guy in Melbourne and the prob went away. SJs have it too - but the price is too rich for me.

Again, great pic...

Iain

that pipe was a close call for me too, i was very lucky and averted a nasty situation myself

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...ic=9296&hl=

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

I will check but as far as I know that pipe was new from SJ when PPPO Richard replaced all the pipes 3/4 years back. I wonder if the proper Lotus one is a different shape. The pipe it goes into via a coupler was tied back OK, I can only assume that it has changed shape over time... Which one did you replace yours with Dodgy?

The more I see as bits come off the engine the more astonished I am that so many cables/pipes are held away from potentially fatal moving parts with an ad-hoc distrubution of tie wraps. It bothers me and on refit I'll be P clipping and extending as required.

Re: pic - I had to smuggle the camera out of the house, for if it were to become known that I had taken the camera to within 1m of anything oily on the 'Lotus Eshit' I'd be subject to additional 'looks'

Ambrose

Hi Ambrose

I forgot to mention that there are some photos on my THREAD

post 8, that show the water pump 'in' pipe. The Alloy pipe that it connect to is a reducer. & I think I had it cable tied to the chassis in order to keep it away from the timing belt. & yes it was still to close for comfort.

Daz

Been making loads of progress....

Anyone interested can check out my engine removal reference page (Im hoping this will be useful when time comes to fit it all back in) at http://esprit303.backpackit.com/pub/1269315

Another 2 sessions at it and the engine will be airborn!

So far a very enjoyable activity largely thanks to PPPO Richards fastidious replacement of old nut and bolts with ss ones.

Ambrose

• 4 weeks later...

ambrose the oil drain pipe that goes from the turbo to the sump, take it off and clean it up, then check in between each serrated section for splits, mine had a split in one of t hem and it sprayed oil all over the gearbox and rear caliper while driving, even from a small crack!!! best to change it to one of the new braided hose types, you can get them from lotus sales for

Si,

Thanks for the tip, I think I can remember seeing your post about this a couple of months back. Its one of those 'while I'm at it' type things so it makes sense to do. Aesthetically I think it would look nice next to my new braided fuel lines too.

Ambrose

Would have thought yours would already be the braided type due to the year of your car but I may be wrong...

If not then if you just cut the convoluted section out and replace it with a length of braided hose jubileecliped in place, that should do the trick nicely and only cost you a couple of quid....

Simon

p.s. popped around to see mark and cleared up a few points with regards to your hoses. He's supplying the new fittings to go direct into your carbs and is making it up as a kit so all you have to do is bolt them straing on as they'll be all cut to the correct lengths with the fitting.... err.... fitted.... ready to fit... LOL

Simon

Chunky Lover