free hit
counters
iMac'ed any one? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

iMac'ed any one?

Just got home from the mall, and I saw a new iMac ther. Wow! I started on an Apple IIe+ bach in the 80's, switched to the "Windows" in the mid 90's, tried som Linux and BeOS, Jee, even administer a fullscale SBS network these days, but that new iMac had my mind twisted today.

As I have read, with Parallels it is even possible to lauch Windows apps with in the MacX Os....

Any one on this already ? I just had "Hasta la"Vista installed on my Sony W2 and I really hate the way it has crippled my machine.....

Any input? Experience ? Good/bad parts ? :wallbash:

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been in the PC business, owning my own company since 1990.

During this time, I have always heard about the Mac's, but never 'drove' one myself.

Well...about a year ago, when Apple converted to the Intel CPU, I bought one for a little R&D.

I enjoyed it so much, that I applied to Apple to become one of their Authorized Sales and Services dealers.

I was accepted last week and now can sell the Apple line of computers. :thumbsup:

As the administrator of over 1000 macs at my college, I can whole heartedly recommend a Mac. I have 8 at home here doing different jobs, including 1 Xserve server running the whole show. I installed VMWare Fusion yesterday (competitor to Parallels) and was running XP apps within the Mac OS. Very cool indeed. Running XP or Vista with BootCamp is the preferred solution because it's running booted (not a virtual machine, so much faster) and it's free!

2 X the fun!

Nose.jpg

Yes keep it coming, I will convert back!

According to the Parallels web page, with Ed 3.0 the start of Win Apps is directly out of a coherence desktop, both OS running sinultaneously in real time ( or so...) and there is no notable difference, except in the visuals, between the Apps in use.

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/deskt...tures/coherence

Oh, Ben it will be a long month until the new OS is released with the iMacs.... :thumbup: I WANT IT NOW!

Yes it looks like I will be doing alot of R&D on that iMac.

--> When the new concept of "Windows" came out I had alreaddy emptied my Mac trash can a million times! Just went with the Win-flow in the 90's. :thumbsup:

Hi,hi, giggles, giggles, its like waiting for christmas....

shapeimage_1.jpg

I do have an iMac, 20 inch 2 GHz core 2 duo, best buy after my Esprit off course :thumbup:

I've installed bootcamp initially, but I NEVER use windows on my Mac, since OSX is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better, and NEVER crashes !

Had literally hundreds of pc's before, even water-cooled and sub-zero (phase change) cooled ones, but now I've found sens with my iMac :thumbsup:

Only sticker I would ever put on my car is an apple-logo sticker :thumbup: (not that I will put stickers on :welcome: )

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

I'm totally fed up with my windows 98 and would love to replace it with the new imac 24".

If anyone can advise me on purchasing one at a discounted rate then I would be extremely greatful!

Cheers

Bo

Mike Kimberly at the launch of the Lotus Evora,

"These cars will be for the few who know the difference!"

I used to have a 20" LCD version iMac with the G5 CPU, but I sold it when I bought my 26" Philips HDTV LCD (for my XBOX 360). **I have 2 computers but I only have one table to put one LCD unit.

I will buy the new iMac (with Intel CPU) when "HDMI input" (video input) is available.

in the next 2years or so, TV station will introduce HDTV, and each home must buy this "digital converter" to convert analog signal to digital HDTV signals, which it will then input sounds/video to the HD ready LCD TV unit by HDMI cable connection.

I believe Apple's next target is to integrate TV and Computer together, but Apple, being a frontier in introducing high-end technology products, is not about to add a simple Video in or Antenna plug at the back of the iMac now.

I believe Apple already sees the future is to integrate a computer to the main TV unit at home, and user can access the computer in the living room, while he/she can also share the use of the computer in the bedroom/study room...**kind of like what the XBOX LIVE/Windows Media Center kind of thing.

Also, it is really waste of resource to make a 23" LCD iMac (yes they have this size now!!) but user cannot turn off the LCD separately, or use the LCD for other purposes (like connecting to a Blu-ray/ HD-DVD player, XBOX 360, PS3, Wii, Video recorder, or use it as a TV with PnP (picture in picture) feature.

This is the reason I sold my iMac because I do not want a 20" LCD monitor to occupy the space of my desk when I can have a regular LCD-TV to connect everthing else.

"APPLE really squeeze out all the possibility to make the maximum amount of profit by upgrading its products very slowly...such as the iPod never comes with "FM/AM radio receiver", this is really stupid...but it still sells millions...

Oh, Ben it will be a long month until the new OS is released with the iMacs.... :) I WANT IT NOW!

Tell me about it! I was thinking about an iMac earlier in the year (around Feb) at a point where I just wanted something that worked as a complement to my linux box that I spend my life tinkering with. The fact it is unix under the covers sold it to me.

It's at that point one of my colleagues at work (a Mac owner) said "Nah, you should wait for leopard to come out..." - 8 months (and one iPhone release) later and I'm still waiting !!!!! :no

Lemoncurd

factory.jpg

I did not want to be waiting....

Official word from Apple said that they were unsure when the iMacs start to ship with the new OS, also there is no releasedate fixed for Germany yet. Oktober, but not sure....

Plus I saw the iMacs selling at my distributer, now get this : 130 pcs stock yesterday, this morning 19, at 10:00 11 and when I placed the order at 12:00 only 4 left!

That is the std 2.4Ghz 20".... Selling faster than hot biscuits! :D

shapeimage_1.jpg

I have a high endish PC I built myself, play the latest games on it, loaded tons of software on it

Use mozilla products, Open office products, free AGV antivirus. Run spyware software

I run XP on it

It never crashes, doesnt get infected with viruses, boots up every time.

Its a lot cheaper than a mac and works.

NUFF SAID :thumbsup:

I have a high endish PC I built myself, play the latest games on it, loaded tons of software on it

Use mozilla products, Open office products, free AGV antivirus. Run spyware software

I run XP on it

It never crashes, doesnt get infected with viruses, boots up every time.

Its a lot cheaper than a mac and works.

NUFF SAID :thumbsup:

for less than that high-end price, you have a nicely designed iMac, which can run XP as well, solid as a rock, and if you run OSX, there aren't any viruses who can infect OSX :huh:

I've had tons of pc's, have the best one now and it's a Mac, enough said :evil: ?

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

I had a quad core Windows PC delivered this morning. It's as fast as, if not faster than stink :thumbsup:

Maybe one day I'll get a Mac but for now I'll stick to what I know. I've always found Windows to be reliable and have been using Vista Ultimate/Office 2007 all year with no problems :evil:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

if anyones interested i have two imacs for sale here, they are the all in one tv style ones, perfect for the kids or students, ones a blue and white 350mhz the other is a graphite dv 500mhz imac going for

Edited by bigsi
for less than that high-end price, you have a nicely designed iMac, which can run XP as well, solid as a rock, and if you run OSX, there aren't any viruses who can infect OSX :thumbsup:

I've had tons of pc's, have the best one now and it's a Mac, enough said :evil: ?

How much are these imacs????? Why run two OS when one does the biz, thats just schizo??

How much are these imacs????? Why run two OS when one does the biz, thats just schizo??

I will let you know once I got some time done on the iMac! :thumbsup:

One thing I can say for sure, MS based systems, no matter if I had preped them or they came off the shelf, as time passes and apps build up the more unstable they got, with all care taken, after a year or so they were all close to scrap! Then only a fresh full install would help.

I remember a quote from a PC mag : " leaving a fresh XP PC online, unprotected by antivirus software, for a day caused it to be infected with viruses that were only to be removed by a full new install..." :evil:

Nothing I have encountered, but just states how fond people are with MS OS. :Pc:

shapeimage_1.jpg

spophos are full of 5hit.. period i wouldnt rate them with a sharp stick, and to say its not a trojan.. yea ok, it is a trojan as the individual has to choose to allow the file, code or variant into the computer to do whatever it states it will the file is either embedded to be activated withought the user knowing, so that makes it a trojan.

many certified mac software engineers dont rate it as a serious threat as its limitied as to what it can do, it has no meants to re-write or corrupt files in the mac os. once again a virus company hypes a liitle thing to basically propogate fears that in turn provide them with a revenue from people buying their so called software.

sorry i have yet and this is after being a certified mac guy for more years than i can remember i have yet to have a virus, worm or trojan infected mac. period.

christ i had 4 macs in my studio all networked and on the net and they never hung, crashed, locked up, nothing.

also one other thing, its common info the neither symantec, mcafee, shophos, bulldog,avg,panda etc do not have rootkit protection which pre detects bootkit or rootkit worms which apply a little bit of code which tells them it isnt there , this in turn neutralizes the saftey aspect of those antivirus programs.

since i have been building pcs i have alwyas installed kaspersky internet security, on home, retail or commercial systems. still not had one back with a virus..

Edited by bigsi

To be fair, the main reason that there are few (if any) Mac (and other Unix based OS) virii is due to the smaller size of the user base and the type of the typical user. As the user base increases you can expect more virii to be created for those platforms. Although I would expect that any Unix virus would likely end up more contained than the equivalent windows virus.

Having said that though, I have never had a problem with a virus on Windows and I don't use a virus checker (although I would make an attempt to secure it before connecting to the 'net). As Olaf said, as long as you are sensible about what you do its not a problem.

Lemoncurd

factory.jpg

Started with a Mac in 1992 but switched in 2000 in order to live in the PC Internet world. Switched back over to an i Mac last year and will never go back. If you want to build web pages iWeb is the easiest thing going.

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

www.espritturbo.com

On my second I Mac now a G5 just brill. I was in the Apple shop this afternoon and contemplating one of the new slimmer versions with 24" screen.

I was convinced about mac's anyway but what has made me an Apple man for life was last year when my G5 packed up!! and even though it was out of warranty they fixed it for free, saying it should not have broke down. Can't say fairer than that. PC World should take a lesson.

I bought my first PC in 1988, so remember the early days of DOS-based non-GUI programmes (Wordstar 200 anyone??) and the sheer joy of Windows (runtime) with Pagemaker and true WYSIWYG. I've been a PC guy (although not an expert) since then, and heard all the hype from the Mac lads.

Some years ago I worked for Duke Video - first as a video editor - and was introduced to Macs running Media 100 software. Crashed just as often as PC's, and a one-button mouse was a backward step, although I believe you can plug in a 3-button mouse these days.

I'd happily have a Mac - the OS does seem nicer than Win, and the hardware is lovely. Strikes me that there's little in it really - more a case of how computer literate the user is, affecting the crashing issues. A few months ago my home PC died, and I had a new box made locally with 2 gigs memory, 250Gb hard disk, a midrange dual core AMD chip (I'd always been an Intel Man) and graphics card, DVD rewriter and XP Home pre0installed for

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

A Mac-Mini in std. config will run you about 700 Euro.

2,0 Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 120 Gb Disk, DVD Rom ( Superdrive), Bluetooth2,0 , Firewire 400/800, USB 2.0, DVI port

and all that in a 16x16x5 cm box !

:thumbup:

shapeimage_1.jpg