free hit
counters
Tech 1 test - ECU/OBDII - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Tech 1 test

bobbak

Hi everyone.

serviced my car this week did all the work myself correcting every little fault I could find did a B service and followed the servicing schedual step by step with the exception of the tech 1 test read the servicing notes but managed to confuse myself totally.

what i would like to know is what is this test exactly ? can i do it at home in the garage? what piece of equipment do i need to get hold of to do the test? and where can i get it? what functions does the test check for?

to say the least though it was an experiance i reckon i have become a master of getting in to impossible places where nuts and bolts reside especially when you manage to lock the engine cover and it wont re open and then have to remove the whole hatch from the hinge end!!!!!!! :):no

any info would be apreciated :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

A Tech 1 test basically is the very same like plugging an OBD scanner and going on an extended test drive monitoring ALL sort of engine-sensor data at various engine load- and rpm-conditions and of course also check the fault code memory (if there are any).

Check for TPS, MAT, MAP, coolant temp, O2-sensor output, A/C-function ... just read out, monitor them and check them for sense ...

Cheers

Marcus

Hi everyone.

serviced my car this week did all the work myself correcting every little fault I could find did a B service and followed the servicing schedual step by step with the exception of the tech 1 test read the servicing notes but managed to confuse myself totally.

what i would like to know is what is this test exactly ? can i do it at home in the garage? what piece of equipment do i need to get hold of to do the test? and where can i get it? what functions does the test check for?

to say the least though it was an experiance i reckon i have become a master of getting in to impossible places where nuts and bolts reside especially when you manage to lock the engine cover and it wont re open and then have to remove the whole hatch from the hinge end!!!!!!! :):no

Marcus

Hi,

A Tech 1 test basically is the very same like plugging an OBD scanner and going on an extended test drive monitoring ALL sort of engine-sensor data at various engine load- and rpm-conditions and of course also check the fault code memory (if there are any).

Check for TPS, MAT, MAP, coolant temp, O2-sensor output, A/C-function ... just read out, monitor them and check them for sense ...

Cheers

Marcus

AH ha light has dawned on my thick skull!! so if I plug in a OBD scanner and read the fault codes if any will this suffice the requirments of this tech 1 test i am presuming it will?

regards rob

I don't know the details of the Tech 1 tests. But I do know what a Tech 1 is. It's Lotus/GM's tool for connecting to the car's control systems. It's a very feature rich OBD II scanner that has lots of extra Lotus specific facilities that you won't find on the general purpose OBD II scanners.

A simple example of how a test can be carried out efficiengtly by the Tech 1 is that you can switch on the car's cooling fans from the Tech 1 and test they are running. Without a Tech 1 you have to either switch on the air con (if the car has it) or leave the car running until the coolant temp exceeds a certain temp and then the fans should start. This will of course take a few minites and hence be less time efficient. The same applies to the recirculating pump and probably a whole host of other car sub systems. Also the Tech 1 has all the possible error code explanations built in (standard codes + Lotus specific codes). Most 'off the shelf' OBD II only have the standard error codes defined.

It would be interesting to read what the tests are the dealer carries out. Have you got that information and could you post it here?

Anyone else have more info?

Regards,

Peter.

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know how mch the Lotus/Gm Tech 1 testing machine costs. I mean it's a hand held unit like the Gendan. More complex, but nonetheless relatively simple and likely to be a box with a circuit board and a readout. TYhousands to R & D but cheap as chips to make in quantity. Once the design is done, they could have made thousands of these things with a relatively low price per unit. Imagine if the club bought one and rented it out ??

I'd love one. Never seen one on ebay yet. Anyone Know how much Lotus charge their dealers for them?

Regards,

Peter.

Does anyone know how mch the Lotus/Gm Tech 1 testing machine costs. I mean it's a hand held unit like the Gendan. More complex, but nonetheless relatively simple and likely to be a box with a circuit board and a readout. TYhousands to R & D but cheap as chips to make in quantity. Once the design is done, they could have made thousands of these things with a relatively low price per unit. Imagine if the club bought one and rented it out ??

I'd love one. Never seen one on ebay yet. Anyone Know how much Lotus charge their dealers for them?

Regards,

Peter.

If it is anything like the other Lotus Special Tools, it would be very expensive. You should be able to get the Lotus price, since it has a specific Lotus part number.

Some years ago, I was lucky enough to aquire a Lotus V8 Dealer toolwall with tools. The individual price for these tools ran to several thousand pounds...... look out for a struggling Dealership and make a swift enquiry.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

• Gold FFM

Tech 1 Hardware is typical GM stuff, difference is in Data packages ["kassetes"-if this is the right english word..] for Lotus programming (as for example the ECM is GM based but modifyed !?) Airbagdata is also from GM -as the reference in workshopbook points out... .

And of course, my OBD-Laptop can read Engine/"Powertrain" codes from Lotus [P1xxx]and SAE OBD regulars [P0xxx]. And the description about situations there are set is in the workshop book. So the main problem is SIR read out via ALDL and Initialise coolingFans, Aircon. and Evap , as this is needed for specific tests in the US... . That does nt work with mine. :thumbup:

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

The big problem is the data cartridges. The company that makes the Tech 1 (Vetronix) was absorbed by Bosch. They have no support for this device any longer as it is obsolete, and their newer scanners are backwards compatible for the old GM cars (pre '96). The problem is that they are not backwards compatible with Lotus protocol. Buying the Tech 1 may be buying the cart before the horse. Getting a Tech 1 on US ebay should be no problem...they run about $400 US. Finding the obsolete Lotus cartridges is like finding a needle in a haystack. According to JAE in the United States, these cartridges are unavailable from Lotus. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
You'll be looking for one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/genuine-lotus-diagno...1QQcmdZViewItem

Clock that start price....

TTFN

Any Esprit nerds about? I am going to see if it will give us access to any additional facilities over and above those provided by ElanScan. If it does, then I may go for it to do some reverse engineering - I am an electronics engineer. If anyone can let me know whether you lot could benefit from it, please let me know.

Geoff

Geoff Smith

LotusElanCentral.com and BOLLECKS† founder

[†Bristol and Outlying Lands Lotus Elan Central Knowledge and Support]

Any Esprit nerds about? I am going to see if it will give us access to any additional facilities over and above those provided by ElanScan. If it does, then I may go for it to do some reverse engineering - I am an electronics engineer. If anyone can let me know whether you lot could benefit from it, please let me know.

Geoff

Geoff I have seen somewhere, (Tinters)

someone has done a simular ESM program to read and remap ECU's, but the code was qiute hard to break...

and I think that's where it ended... No alternatives to Tech 1 and 2 exist for daily use and diagnostic.

So Geoff are you thinking of launching EspirtScan....

TTFN

Just looked up parts list and there's 12-13 different types listed for the Esprit. Obviously most are just a language varriant but some are for pre98, others are 89-90, Kelsey Haynes etc.

Most are now obselete unless Lotus have a different price list. They only list one but it's USA. You can buy an CD upgrade disc?? Price is

Geoff I have seen somewhere, (Tinters)

someone has done a simular ESM program to read and remap ECU's, but the code was qiute hard to break...

and I think that's where it ended... No alternatives to Tech 1 and 2 exist for daily use and diagnostic.

So Geoff are you thinking of launching EspirtScan....

TTFN

There is Freescan Dave, but I'm not sure what it's capabilities are (and I believe the M100 setup does not work), which was why I asked the question here. I think it is open source, so it could possibly be updated.

ElanScan has a few question marks on some of the data and there may be features and modes that are not immediately obvious so not implemented. By methodically working through each of the Tech1 functions with some data capture on the interface, more secrets may be revealed. If nothing new comes out of it, then I should at least be able to recover some of the cost of the Tech 1. If the Lotus configuration modules are as rare as rocking horse shit, then it would be good to have one - it would be useful to LEC/LEF members to have access to one. Thinking about it, does Troy have one / need one?

Geoff Smith

So you think there is little more to be gleaned from the Tech 1 for the Esprit Dermot? It looks like the same is true for the Elan BTW.

Geoff Smith

Geoff,

The TECH1 can some additional features over Freescan when it comes to sensor diagnostics but it probably not worth the outlay for just one person. I have wanted to get one for some time for the forum but could not justify the outlay. The main advantage which would warrant investing in a TECH 1 would be ABS fault finding which is a very common source of agro with Esprits. Two systems are used Delco-Moraine and Hayes-Delsey. There at diagnostic cartridges for the TECH1 available for these systems.

Geoff,

The TECH1 can some additional features over Freescan when it comes to sensor diagnostics but it probably not worth the outlay for just one person. I have wanted to get one for some time for the forum but could not justify the outlay. The main advantage which would warrant investing in a TECH 1 would be ABS fault finding which is a very common source of agro with Esprits. Two systems are used Delco-Moraine and Hayes-Delsey. There at diagnostic cartridges for the TECH1 available for these systems.

Thanks Dermot. It looks like there is little to be gained for the Elan, so I'm afraid I'm out. It's a shame as it sounds like you could do with a bit more info for the Esprit - ever thought of installing a data logger while the ABS is checked? :respect:

Geoff Smith