free hit
counters
VW Closing In On Proton (Lotus Parent Company) - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Feffman

VW Closing In On Proton (Lotus Parent Company)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

VW would want Proton, not Lotus, so they can enter the lucrative Malaysian market which is currently out of bounds to external car companies due to Malay import duty levels which are extremely high. What would they do with a struggling manufacturer like Lotus (admittedly doing a lot better of late) when they already own several successful supercar/sportscar companies?

Cross your fingers it doesn't happen if you ask me.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

:welcome:

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

I have to agree with Bibs (in my opinion)

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

This is one I feel everyone will have to wait to see what the ultimate outcome is for Lotus.

I'm sure Mike Kimberley will do everything in his power to ensure its survival (as he has done in the past)

800px-Porsche-VAG_Alliance.svg.png

Edited by WayneB

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Hopefully VW would look on Lotus like Bentley, Lamborghini & Bugatti, that of a brand with history and brand loyalty. We should not under estimate the power of the brand and what it stands for. You could argue with Porsche , Lambo, and Bugatti already, why build the R8? I'm sure it's because they want to cater for all markets & tastes. I do agree with Bibs that 99% of the reason for buying Proton is the SE Asia market, but I'm sure they would look on getting Lotus in with the deal as a huge bonus. Lotus Engineering allied to Cosworth, now where have we heard that before? Finally it would get VW a world beater like the Exige, the like of which non of their other companies produce.

Oh one final thought, if VW ever went into F1, what brand would they use? :welcome:

What makes you think Porsche would allow Lotus to survive in its current form ?

They have been competitors since the 60's , not only with the cars , but for subcontract automotive engineering projects so I think it would spell a closing of the factory of Hethel, and an exporting of any work they deemed worthy to Germany.

Porsche keeping Lotus as is would surely validate the fact that the little outfit from Norfolk has been the more innovative and resorceful operation?

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Lotus Engineering allied to Cosworth, now where have we heard that before? :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, they sold Cosworth Technology to Mahle Powertrain a while ago.

I think it would be a disaster for Lotus for the reasons others have already stated. Also they would screw up the styling like they have with every other car in the VW group.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I think Porsche (soon to own most of VW) would jettison Lotus quickly as the Elise/Exige competes with the Cayman. It's no secret the new Eagle chassis Lotus is developing directly competes with the 911. Throw the Esprit replacement into the mix and it creates even greater competition for the more upscale 911s (Turbo, GT3) and Audi R8.

How about Dave Richards and the guys at Aston Martin owning Lotus?? Ready supply of great engines, previous work on Aston chassis by Lotus engineering, cool cars all around and seemingly plenty of cash to develop new models. "OH Feff stop dreaming!" :thumbsup:

Feff

Edited by Feffman

Now that would be great.

Aston certainly have the cash from what I understand and together they would make quite the team. Lotus and Aston have worked together in the past and of course there are still rumours that they will be working closer in the future in the powertrain dept so it all makes sense to me!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

:)

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

wow - now Porsche may be the lead....

http://www.leftlanenews.com/european-court...-vw-likely.html

European court overturns "VW law," Porsche takeover of VW likely

10/23/07, 09:38am, EDT

The European Court of Justice ruled today that Germany cannot block the sale of Volkswagen because of what is dubbed as "VW law"

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

I do not think that VW has much to to these days rathen than fight off the Porsche takeover intensions ( that is the EU regulations where the major shareholder has the saying in the company. ATM porsche holds 31% of the shares, the largest stockholder at VWand has according to the momentary laws no say in company politics..51% needed) and hopefully does not spend the cash on Proton.....

Imagine a VolksLotus :)

Porsche booting Lotus? Do not think so, Porsche has had its most prosperous and profitable phase ever, despite the Elise/Exige/Europa/Esprit around. The 911 has been build for a longer period than the Esprit...

So why should they consider booting Lotus..?!?

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg