free hit
counters
Clutch Judder ..... - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I've had clutch judder for ages, it comes it goes, but it's always there and it's getting on my tits :welcome:

It started the last time I changed my clutch about 6 months ago. The time before I put the whole kit and caboodle off of SJ, this time I bought the clutch plates only off of Ramsbottom {?} in Germania because they were cheaper - 400 quid compared to about 900.

I also changed the input shaft spline as this was worn, which was causing the clutch to fail on previous occasions.

Trouble is, this time around it resulted in judder not long after. Peronally I suspect it's becuase I went a bit 'mad' with the old grease on the input shaft as on previous occasions I used the grease 'sparingly' as recommended by the manual yet everytime on disassembly a year later I had a dry spline.

Cos at Sportmotive has since had the car a few months ago to change the tanks, I asked him to look at the clutch as well for me whilst they were in there. He says he looked at it and that I hadn't put enough greease on the spline :welcome: and that it should be ok now. It was for a bit {mayb a week} but then started to come back :evil:

It comes and goes, so I keep hoping it'll go and stay gone - but this is looking less likely now. I'm struggling to find a pattern to help me understand where the problem lies. One thing for sure is that it's defo worse as the clutch gets hotter. First thing in the morning there's almost no judder at all - which gradually starts to work in as you progress on your journey to work. If you're dragging along in traffic then it seems to get progressively worse and more annoying.

I think I've decided on it being one of the following;

1. Grease contamination

2. Hot spots on my pressure plate/flywheel

3. Buggered gearbox mounts

4. clutch hydraulics

This weekend I'm going to bleed the clutch fluid and check the gearbox mounts as I have already destroyed them once with my clutch probs. And them probably look at pulling the box from there.

===

I'm interested in other people's experiences in this area. Searching the forum I see quite a few peeps have suffered clutch judder probs similar in sympton to mine after having had the clutch changed, but I'm yet to see how they rectified it - so I would be interested to know.

ps anyone wanna buy a cheap not completely healthy v8?

Hey, can anyone smell fuel?????

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That will make at least two cheap juddering and stuttering V8's on the market then "Cheap"!!

Dont give up! My sport 350 judders occasionally ,mainly when I havent used it for a while.

Also when I use it for the first time after say a month it crunches first gear for the first say 20 times after that its ok !!

I put both of these down to two things.The shaft sticking slightly in the clutch and the clutch being worn.I think my car has now done 26k on the original clutch so it must be nearly gone (although it feels ok ).

I aloso noticed mine less after we replace the engine/gearbox mounts.

If the excessive grease was melting and getting on the plates this would make the juddering worse I would have thought?

Just a thought but were the cheaper plates recon or a different make THAN o/e?

Having said all that I used it to go to Heatrow on Friday and did it judder on the M25 carpark ...NO! But it also didnt fire on 8 cylinders all the way home....I love Lotus's :welcome:

Rich

Sport 350

They say AP on them and very much look the same, but you are left wondering .....

Dont give up! My sport 350 judders occasionally ,mainly when I havent used it for a while.

Also when I use it for the first time after say a month it crunches first gear for the first say 20 times after that its ok !!

I use mine as a daily commute, I think in the most part she likes it - on the whole it's incredibly reliable and problems tend to slowly creep in rather than you go to use her and think "What now???!!!?" as I would guess be the case with a weekend car.

Funny thing is I love the car to death! She looks gorgeous, the attention I get, the 3rd gear performance! I've had her for 3 years now, where my previous record for a car was 9 months! But, I just lack the patience and enthusiasm for being out there weekends working on her nowadays .....

I know what you mean.

I have just had mine off the road for a few months to cure some problems caused by others and everytime I get in it there is another problem.

I know its bad because my wife is actually showing me cars on ebay at the moment trying to encourage me to change.Her choice last night was a 2000my maserati 3200 coupe,annd I have to admit at

Mine does this everynow and then, and for that matter I know of lot of V8's that have clutch judder ... Guess that wasn't really any help was it ...

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

It's definately worse, the more you use the clutch during a drive. Driving her home tonight the judder is barely perceptible and unless you were aware of it you wouldn't really know it was there. But it's a long drive with barely any intteruptions. If it was like this all the time I really wouldn't be bothered.

In the mornings however it starts off that way, but the more you're held up in traffic the worse it gets. Until the point where the car shudders as you pull away, you can feel it in the wheel and seat, the mirrors shake etc ...

That will make at least two cheap juddering and stuttering V8's on the market then "Cheap"!!

I put both of these down to two things.The shaft sticking slightly in the clutch and the clutch being worn.I think my car has now done 26k on the original clutch so it must be nearly gone (although it feels ok ).

I aloso noticed mine less after we replace the engine/gearbox mounts.

If the excessive grease was melting and getting on the plates this would make the juddering worse I would have thought?

Having said all that I used it to go to Heatrow on Friday and did it judder on the M25 carpark ...NO! But it also didnt fire on 8 cylinders all the way home....I love Lotus's :)

Rich

Sport 350

Is your friction plate facing the flywheel correctly? There should have been a stamp on the friction plate that says "This Side Towards Flywheel"

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916