free hit
counters
Reformulated Mobil 1 15/50 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Reformulated Mobil 1 15/50

Hello All,

I am getting ready to change the oil in my car. I made the switch a while ago to redline oils as I heard that the extended performance mobil 1 15/50 was not up to par.

Now Mobil 1 has reformulated their 15/50 and it is no longer the exntended performance. Has anyone used this reformulated Mobil 1 15/50? If so, do you think it is up tp par?

Thanks!

Jason

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to use it(in the old formulation), but after a conversation with an respected racing engine builder at Mosport a month ago (who had 2 camshaft failures using this oil reciently) I decided to go to Valvoline Syn Power 20W-50 oil which apparently gives no problems in engines that dont have rollerised cam followers. :respect:

SUNP0003-1.jpg

I'm sticking with redline, from everything I've read it's still superior to the new Mobil formula.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Castrol 10/60 fully synth does the trick for me..

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Does not sound good for the mobil 1 15/50. ALmost sounds like no one uses it anymore. Anyone else using the valvoline 20/50? Sounds like that may be the next choice.

Thanks for the help.

Jason

Edited by jfitz981

• 2 weeks later...
Does not sound good for the mobil 1 15/50. ALmost sounds like no one uses it anymore. Anyone else using the valvoline 20/50? Sounds like that may be the next choice.

Thanks for the help.

Jason

I still use the Mobile 1 15/50 as recommended by my mechanic a year and a half ago. I will add it to the list of questions i have for him next time i see him and let you know if anything has changed. just to get another opinion.

i have been using valvoline vr1 racing 20/50 for the last 2 years with no problems, also, if you give the car regular oil changes (my oil n' filter is done every 1500 miles approx) as i do, the cost of the oil works out to about half the cost of the overated mobil 1, and valvoline comes in the full 5 ltrs cans. <_<

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

I use Castrol Full Synthetic. I am howerver toying with the idea of changing to a lighter grade than 20/50 after reading the information (I posted it) regarding oils. Never had any issues with Castrol street driving... or at the race track in the MX-5, so I'll prob. keep using it.

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

Official Lotus quote from Brian Angus is as follows:

Lotus recommend the following oils:

Castrol Edge 10/60 Synth: Preferred oil

Mobil 1 15/50: If not above

Valvoline 20/50: Also if not above

Brians personal opinion was that (hope I remembered this right Brian) the 50's were fine, especially in winter when it's cold so the oil sticks just as well. However he would highly recommend 10/60 Castrol Edge when hot.

As such i have put Mobil 1 15/50 in mine now and will change it before summer to 10/60.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)