free hit
counters
Catching the Lotus Bug - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Nellie

Catching the Lotus Bug

All,

Just thought I would share the interesting incident with my neighbour this morning after having washed the car.

He came across the road with his 2 year old boy who recgonises the Esprit from having seen Jeremy Clarkson driving one on a DVD he was given, he then proceeded to walk round it telling me it was a V8 due to the exhausts and showed me where the headlights went etc, etc.

All amusing and I let him sit in and started it and let him play witht the horn and pop up headlamps.

It then turned out in the conversation that my Neighbour 'John' says his boy loves the car :heart: and always asks to come across and see it and he gets his boy to eat his breakfast in the morning by saying that if he is good and behaves himself he will take him across the road to see my car.

Just made me chuckle :devil: and thought I would share the story as we have another Esprit fan in the making.

Personally I had a poster on the wall from as far back as I can remember!!

Nellie :2guns:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's great some children love them, and that's probably nothing to do with going fast, it's the looks of the car, the usual comment revolves around them looking as though it's moving fast even when it's stationery.

Lets just hope they're still allowed to be driven when he's old enough to drive one himself.

Not long after I got mine I pulled into the local train station car park to pick up some tickets. Left the wife in the car but when I returned she was out, talking to a complete stranger. Thinking the worse (a rear end shunt or something) I jogged over, only to be told that he was taking his son over to Edinburgh as a 10th birthday treat. Said young man was wandering around the car in a daze, taking photos with his mobile and positively drooling. His Dad said he was a real petrolhead and an Esprit fanatic with pictures all over his bedroom walls - but he had never actually seen one for real. Mine was his first and boy had it made his day. When I opened the drivers door and offered him a seat he was actually speechless. I'm pretty sure the photo his Dad took is up on his wall right now.

Thats what the Esprit seems to do to small boys and gentlemen of a certain age. Hard to imagine a Ferrari having the same effect (it would probably be keyed). Makes me proud.

Edited by hedgerley

Great story Nellie - I loved the 'eat breakfast' - who knew...

My eldest son's (17yo) friends do a strange 'walk by' the car when they come over, and say nothing. But one time I was at the car and said "want a tour?".

"Would I!!!" was the reply. When he sat in the seat and put his hands on the wheel all he could say was 'wow'.

The inspiration lives on... :respect:

Iain

drove my car last week and waiting for the light to turn green i heard a father say to his kid. !

look a ferrari

@#$%^&*(

Rens

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

drove my car last week and waiting for the light to turn green i heard a father say to his kid. !

look a ferrari

@#$%^&*(

Rens

Does seem to get that remark often...went to an open house at a Maserati dealership the other day and the parking attendant says "follow me, you can park with all the other Ferraris..." i did not follow her... haha

Did get to see did get to see the rare F40 and Enzo which i am a fan of their looks.

As I am the only Esprit in my area, I find myself in the company of Ferraris and Porsches quite often. I like them for sure - but the Esprit has always been the car for me!

My car is showing its age a bit these days with little paint touch ups in the front etc... but it still seems to get a "wow" factor from a cross section of folks at the car shows, cruise ins, and gas stations...

...and it took first in class (80's production) as a car show last Saturday beating out a couple prancing horses and Vetts. I was told later by a show judge that I got "cool points"...?

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

Drove my son to Kindergarten one morning a few weeks ago, in the Esprit. The whole area is under development with a lot of construction machinery around. You know we are used to even small kids pointing and exclaiming someting when we drive past, and the kindergarten parking lot is no exception.

So, entering the parking lot with the window down we pass by this 3-year old kid walking holding his mothers hand. I hear the boy starting to shout loud,

"Mom, Mom!!! Wow!!! Look!!!.........Look at that big digger machine!!!"

Duh....

Edited by Atle

lo.jpg

This way to ship models! http://www.modelship...user-index.html

AELLEF_Esprit_27.jpg

A Big digger machine IS a cool thing! Hmmmm...

I feel a Monster Garage prgect comming on....

A Lotus Esprit Digger Machine. Hey, even Bond did not have a back ho!

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

In the usual Supercar company, the Esprit still wins out in the 'wow' stakes. However, I was upstaged once, at my local petrol station, when I pulled in next to a TVR Sagaris. It wasn't just the car though - the driver was Marino Franchitti, who lives in my village. You may have heard of his brother. When I got out, somewhat overweight, balding, wrong side of 40, there was no competition as far as the ladies were concerned.......

I once had the pleasure of hooning round Knockhill with Marino in the passenger seat (he used to be one of the instructors) on a corporate day out. He gave me top marks for braking, positioning, speed (I did the fastest lap of the day), gears etc. When we finished he said it was the best drive he had had from a member of the 'general public'. I was pretty pleased with myself - then he took me round for a couple of laps. Gulp........

Edited by hedgerley

Mucked around a bit with Max (Papis) at Petit LeMans at the start of October... Marino and Dario were both around for bit. Good guys would be my impression. Liked them both...

When we moved into a new area a few months ago, the wife got ticked off at all the people who knew me when she didn't know anyone. It wasn't because of my engaging, outgoing personality. It was because they had come over to ask me about the Esprit when I was working on it with the garage door open. Like you say, men of a certain age.

At our new house, the Esprit was out next to the drive, sideways to the road while we were waiting for the removal men. I wasn't there but she told me that about every third car that came past stopped and the driver asked if the Lotus was for sale. They said that they didn't have cars like that around here. I wonder what the ratio would have been if my car was tidy.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE