free hit
counters
timing belt loosened up - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
86esprits3

timing belt loosened up

With 1 hours worth of idling and 5 miles put on it, the tension is at 65!

Either the tensioner or the belt just plain sucks! I put this tensioner on and tightened it exactly to spec. I meticulously spent an hour doing it with the engine out.

If I engineered this marvel, I would have put 2 jacking bolts on the tensioner so you could easily cinch it into place and easily dial in the tension.. Their method is bogus!

I give up on this heap of *$*#!!!!

You cant even get to the tensioner without taking half the crap off of it!

ugh!!!!

I just dont have time to devote my entire life to this thing.

Its history!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

To be fair the belt tensioning is a doddle in the first cars it was used in, and in the first Lotus cars it was used in. Unfortunately those were the Jensen, Eclat and Elite, all front engine cars with lots of space that end of the engine.

Don't for get the belt tension will drop noticably after the first real run, as things settle and the belt stretches slightly (can't remeber the tension figures for a belt), so you'rs may be outside servicable limits as it is, but it's still worth just setting it (not to new belt tension) and making sure the tensioner is really tight (possible use thread locking compund).

Most things are sent to try us, and that's one of the jobs that gets to most of us.

Keep at it for a while

Andy

To be fair the belt tensioning is a doddle in the first cars it was used in, and in the first Lotus cars it was used in. Unfortunately those were the Jensen, Eclat and Elite, all front engine cars with lots of space that end of the engine.

Don't for get the belt tension will drop noticably after the first real run, as things settle and the belt stretches slightly (can't remeber the tension figures for a belt), so you'rs may be outside servicable limits as it is, but it's still worth just setting it (not to new belt tension) and making sure the tensioner is really tight (possible use thread locking compund).

Most things are sent to try us, and that's one of the jobs that gets to most of us.

Keep at it for a while

Andy

Well my legs are cramped up by working inside the boot. never did it this way before. Now I know how the fiberglass pieces got broken! Well the alternator is off, and I retensioned the belt. The tension bolt (19mm) is sunken inside the tensioner. Now if I had engineered this, I would have made it so it stuck out double high so you could actually get a wrench on it, then you could easily put a wrench on the 17mm nut to lock it all in place. I would have caught that on production run number 1! I thought I could get to things from the bottom, but that isnt happening-you gotta tackle this job from the top.

Well-looks like this weekend is a wash for going for a ride.

Hmmm...I think I might have a few brewskis later. B)

I feel your disappointment Mark - especially as you didn't get a ride out of her too.

Strange thing the Lotus. I have replaced the timing belt twice, and the first time was like your moment - everything went wrong, and I hit my hands, knees. It was also a hot night etc. I also didn't leave enough time for the job, to be fair.

This time the job was a pleasure. Started with a nice clean engine, a couple of steps at a time, replaced a few parts (I love nice new parts) - so I had to wait and I did the final tension-up in the morning with a smooth ride in the afternoon.

Iain

Is it possible that you started w/ a belt that is a tooth too big? It doesn't seem right that the bolt is that far down inside.

I eliminated the spring and plunger on mine and turned a solid brass plunger on my lathe so it can be manually tensioned.

I've always been suspect of the spring loaded tensioner from the very beginning, it's a real Rube Goldberg device. I believe it my allow the belt to oscillate unnecessarily @ certain RPM. This could be the cause of some belt failures where there appears to be no cause.

I have tensioned my belt w/ the engine fully up to operating temp so that most, if not all, of the oscillation goes away throughout the RPM range. This also happens to be about at the point where you can turn the belt 90 degrees in its longest run w/o too much pressure. I have never used a tensioner setting tool.

Personally, I plan on tossing mine in favor of the later style eccentric tensioner. If anyone has one that they want to part with please let me know. The only thing I am not sure of is the mount bracket, as I am no longer running A/C.

Edited by Esprit Aviation

Is it possible that you started w/ a belt that is a tooth too big? It doesn't seem right that the bolt is that far down inside.

I eliminated the spring and plunger on mine and turned a solid brass plunger on my lathe so it can be manually tensioned.

I've always been suspect of the spring loaded tensioner from the very beginning, it's a real Rube Goldberg device. I believe it my allow the belt to oscillate unnecessarily @ certain RPM. This could be the cause of some belt failures where there appears to be no cause.

I have tensioned my belt w/ the engine fully up to operating temp so that most, if not all, of the oscillation goes away throughout the RPM range. This also happens to be about at the point where you can turn the belt 90 degrees in its longest run w/o too much pressure. I have never used a tensioner setting tool.

Personally, I plan on tossing mine in favor of the later style eccentric tensioner. If anyone has one that they want to part with please let me know. The only thing I am not sure of is the mount bracket, as I am no longer running A/C.

mY TENSIONER IS NOT THE SPRING LOADED OR AUTOMATIC TYPE. OOPS. I mean, it is just a bearing on an eccentric inner shaft. As you rotate it, it becomes closer or further from belt. You have to rotate it incounterclockwise, so the natural clockwise run of the belt would if anything, tighten it, not loosen it. But that should not happen anyway as long as the locking nut is secured.

I found this car to be like a woman. Pretty to look at. Nice to be in its company. Costs a lot of money. And at times can be just one pain in the arse! You think you did everything right to please it, then it goes and does something that...well you just cant explain. Then leaves you wanting to have a cold beer or two.

I guess I shouldn't have assumed that the your tensioner was the spring loaded type. Very strange, I always would prefer the eccentric type. I wonder then what may have occurred?

I'll still trade ya!

Edited by Esprit Aviation