free hit
counters
Cyclist and speed cameras - Bike Banter - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Cyclist and speed cameras

jeff_hooper

I regularly use my push bike to and from work one route has a speed camera on a downhill section.... Hmmmm interesting I thought...

Well as a former multiple national champion/record holder on the bike, albeit some 20 years ago, and despite my age I figured 36MPH + downhill was a relatively easy target to aim for.....

Now, from what I have read, a cyclist cannot receive points on his driving licence as he is not actually, 'driving'. He can however be prosecuted for 'furious cycling' and the fine might be as much as

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That must have changed then Jeff. Some years ago, can remember well, in one of the national newspapers, there was a great picture of a squirrel that had triggered a camera.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

In researching this idea I have been hugely disapointed to discover that as a cyclist I will not be a big enough target to trigger the camera....

How about bulking up / wairing a big costume, maybe that'll trigger it? :laughing: Or is it mass that triggers it? They get triggered with motorbikes.

0093-0604-0410-0503_SM.jpg

There are recorded instances of speed cameras being triggered by birds flying by..saw this re-enacted on TV on one of those "Mythbusters" type shows, complete with photograph of retreating pigeon's rectum...so you should be able to trigger the camera with a bicycle. Why not just try it and see? As for prosecution, difficult when you consider bikes don't have registration plates so actually identifying you would prove complicated!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Don't you UK chaps carry a National ID card yet - GPS tracking wherever you go?

I am sure someone in the government could tell you exactly how fast on the bike you were going!

I favour the tin foil idea...

Cool titles there Jeff - can you share some more detail? just for interest sake.

When I was younger and much thinner I used to ride competitively and my top recorded speed (by me) on my bike was 62.5mph on a very, very steep hill! It's the same hill that someone turned right on when I was overtaking them and I ended up flying over their bonnet, ouch!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Give it a try and I think you'll be suprised - because I can categorically say I've done it.

Me and a friend both cycled past a Gatso, at night, down the centre of the road (make sure you pass the activation coils upstream of it) with no cars about and <flash><flash>. We were at 38 ish on a 30.

It was suprising enough we went back and did it again feeling chuffed at our efforts.

Just wish there was a way to collect the picture..

There used to be a stoy doing the rounds that you could trigger a speed camera by swinging a galvanised bucket round and round horizontally on a piece of rope... IIRC it was suggested that five minutes of vigorous bucket work would use up the film in the camera.

Probably just an urban myth :)

Most of the radio waves from the camera pass right through human tissue try wrapping yourself in tin foil :)

Er, think of the chafing when trying to pedal at full chat :)

Dan

"He who dies with the most toys wins..."

There used to be a stoy doing the rounds that you could trigger a speed camera by swinging a galvanised bucket round and round horizontally on a piece of rope... IIRC it was suggested that five minutes of vigorous bucket work would use up the film in the camera.

Probably just an urban myth :)

Now they're digital images it's probably a long period of bucket twirling to use that memory storage up.

I know the M25 ones used to only last minutes when refilled with film, don't think they have that issue now.

Andy

When I was younger and much thinner I used to ride competitively and my top recorded speed (by me) on my bike was 62.5mph on a very, very steep hill! It's the same hill that someone turned right on when I was overtaking them and I ended up flying over their bonnet, ouch!

62.5mph??? no way!! Dunno about a steep hill, north face of the Eiger more like! <_<

Edited by esprit22