free hit
counters
Round tail light bulbs and connectors - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Drfatz

Round tail light bulbs and connectors

I upgraded my Esprit to the round tail lights. However, I am looking to use the orange lenses as my turn signal and my light pack did not come with a bulb or male connector for the orange lenses. So I need to buy a turn signal bulb Philips 12356 and the connector to plug into the turn signal socket. Does anyone know who makes these tail lights? All they say on them are MONZA and I can't seem to find the manufacturer so I can track down the connector I need. Any help would be appreciated!

-Graham

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not sure who makes them, but I'm very surprised as mine came with the turn bulbs all included. Do you not have reverse bulbs either? they're the same fitting and bulb.

If it's any help, they're the same as fitted to the S2 Elise.

I got mine from SJ Sportscars with the rear panel all as one kit.

I would be speaking to whomever you got yours from and asking why you didn't get the bulbs and holders.

regards,

Glyn.

I upgraded my Esprit to the round tail lights. However, I am looking to use the orange lenses as my turn signal and my light pack did not come with a bulb or male connector for the orange lenses. So I need to buy a turn signal bulb Philips 12356 and the connector to plug into the turn signal socket. Does anyone know who makes these tail lights? All they say on them are MONZA and I can't seem to find the manufacturer so I can track down the connector I need. Any help would be appreciated!

-Graham

I got mine from SJ as well. I guess because I am in the US they don't need the yellow turn bulb!? Also, I did not receive a wiring harness from SJ either. I had to make my own. All in all I hate to say it, but I have been a little disappointed by SJ. The packages they sent took months and months to get here because they were delaying producing the parts. Then when they arrived the parts were just haphazardly thrown in a box with little packing material. Finally, I was missing the two bulbs and wiring harnesses for my lights <_<

I would try and get the parts from Lotus, but I would rather not spend extra $$$ to get the Lotus sticker on the part :whistle:

I know what you're saying about paying for the sticker..

Dissapointing that SJ didn't supply you with the bulbs or the holders. I would get back onto them to be honest, as I suspect they get the lights as a complete kit from whoever they get them from (they're not OEM Lotus) and ask them to send them.

They probably take them out of US ones to keep as spares for UK owners. I don't think they'd throw them away.

They're an odd little bulb I seem to remember.

And I agree, the wiring is a bit of a pain. I am a bit of a whizz at wiring so I wasn't fussed too much. I just modded the existing connectors to suit the new lights. Make sure you solder the wires and use a good length of heatshrink as you'll probably get a bit of water ingress on that area.. the rear panels don't exactly seal that well when you've cut those bits out for it to fit! <_<

I'm also an interested party. The PO did the round light conversion, but there is no lights in the amber lenses. This is going to be a winter project for me, so I'm hoping to source tme too. Also, only half the lens lights up with the headlights on. The other half lights up under braking. Is this normal? I would prefer an always on 'round' light, instead of the halves being illuminated.

Edited by rogue_s1

2 X the fun!

Nose.jpg

I know what you're saying about paying for the sticker..

Dissapointing that SJ didn't supply you with the bulbs or the holders. I would get back onto them to be honest, as I suspect they get the lights as a complete kit from whoever they get them from (they're not OEM Lotus) and ask them to send them.

They probably take them out of US ones to keep as spares for UK owners. I don't think they'd throw them away.

They're an odd little bulb I seem to remember.

And I agree, the wiring is a bit of a pain. I am a bit of a whizz at wiring so I wasn't fussed too much. I just modded the existing connectors to suit the new lights. Make sure you solder the wires and use a good length of heatshrink as you'll probably get a bit of water ingress on that area.. the rear panels don't exactly seal that well when you've cut those bits out for it to fit! :whistle:

Thanks Glyn for the input. I am actually a bit of a wiring guy myself B) I cut off all of the connectors and wired up a totally new set of connectors to neaten things up in the rear, plus I didn't have the harness for the lights! I spoke with Lotus Recycling about getting some harnesses and bulbs for the round lights and they are checking on it for me. I am also going to call Jeff at JAE and see what he says. I would follow up with SJ, but I just don't feel like dealing with them anymore. Its really a pain to get things from overseas including England now that Mr.Bush is in office.... <_<

As for only half of them lighting up, that is the only way I can see that they work. The problem is you have one dual intensity bulb per light and yet there are two main bulbs per light. Thus what happens is you can either have them all light up with the parking lights and then when you hit the brake only half of each light will get a little bit brighter or you have half the lights come on with the parking lights and then all come on with the brakes. So the only way to get all of the lights to light up when the parking lights are on is to wire up dual intensity bulbs in every socket (less the reverse and turn signal sockets). Which you could do if you got four more dual intensity sockets which brings us back to my problem of where you get the sockets! :rtfm: