free hit
counters
Jacking up an S4...? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nickruocco

Jacking up an S4...?

after needing to work on the brakes. I bought a very nice jack and two stands. I am having trouble with a few things though...

first, what does everyone else use to jack up their car? the jack with the spare tire? I just did not think it would go high enough (safely) to put a stand under the car.

secondly, all the stands I can find at a store are flat on the lifting surface and the esprit has those pieces of metal protruding down for the other jack...so I had to make a piece of wood with a grove in it to get a flat surface. but it keeps falling apart.

thirdly, I looked at the article on LEW and they don't seem to address these issues or the lifting points for an 94' S4. what is the best place for the stands.

any help would be greatly appreciated. -Nick

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Front :

Jack with scissor jacks under the jacking points on the body.

Fit Axle stands on the chassis where shown (note the wood and the position - wood also spreads the load)

Finally paper stands under the sill juuuuuuuust incase.

Load spread evenly across the 2 axle stands and the body scssor jacks - very stable, 100% safe)

1806332938_bab3cf06db.jpg

Rear :

Jack at the rear chassis hoop under the end of the gearbox (NOT on the gearbox, where all the beams meet) to lift the car evenly.

Scissor jacks under the body lift points to support / stabalise the car.

Paper packing under the sill again.

You can leave the jack in place (just check it periodically hasn't gone down) OR you can wind the scissor jacks up a bit and slide a single axle stand in there.

Ice Hockey pucks make excellent body jacking insulators !

facebook = [email protected]

Scissor jacks are not stable... <_<

I do mine like this

P8201352.sized.jpg

larger here

http://vulcangrey.lotuscolorado.com/galler...amp;id=P8201352

Jack from the rear under the hoop of the chassis that goes under the transmission, place two jackstands with fitted wood blocks under the jack points infront of the rear wheels.

Then jack up one side of the front at a jackpoint using a wood block to fit the jackpoint, and then place two jack stands with their cradles under the round section of the lower suspension arm where the anti roll bar and bushing are.

THis is very stable and safe.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Scissor jacks are not stable... <_<

On their own I agree - I use the scissor jack primarily to lift the car, the Axle stands are there as the main stay. Once it's dropped down onto the stands I just crank the jack 1/2 a turn so there is some weight on them as well - it's VERY stable, I hate getting under cars, I wouldn't get under this if I felt it wasn't safe.

The only way the car can go is forwards / backwards, if for some reason the handbrake wasn't on the paper is there to catch the car either which way it goes.

At the back the paper is the axle stand, find it works well and the lifting jacks are always there incase you need to make adjustment - just works for me.

Might be worth noting I only work on 1 end of the car at a time like this, never had the need to get all 4's off the floor - also chock the front wheels when lifting the back !

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = [email protected]

When Troy did my brakes he used a proper Garage Trolley Jack and then put the axle stands under as well. He did rear followed by front the same way and it seemed to work really well.....

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

thank you guys for the help.

Are you guys saying for the rear i can lift up both tires at the same time by putting the jack under the big cross bar?

Travis, do you use wood blocks with a grove cut in them to go over the jacking points?

thank you guys for the help.

Are you guys saying for the rear i can lift up both tires at the same time by putting the jack under the big cross bar?

Travis, do you use wood blocks with a grove cut in them to go over the jacking points?

Yes, you can lift both rear tires by jacking at the bottom of the hoop under the tranny. Use something to protect the frame from the jack though, spread the load.

My SE has little metal cups, so I just use blocks of wood, I know the later cars have a blade, so if your car has that then yes I would cut a notch in the wood or plastic block.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hi,

I have a pro trolly jack. I jack the rear up in the middle of the car on the rear of the chassis below the gearbox. My trolly jack has a good round cup with lugs to stop sliding. The front I can't get the trolly jack under so I usually jack one side up at a time, but use a special block I made to fit in the trolly jack cup out of wood so not to damage the sills as I use the sill jacking points.

Owen.

Hi,

I have a pro trolly jack. I jack the rear up in the middle of the car on the rear of the chassis below the gearbox. My trolly jack has a good round cup with lugs to stop sliding. The front I can't get the trolly jack under so I usually jack one side up at a time, but use a special block I made to fit in the trolly jack cup out of wood so not to damage the sills as I use the sill jacking points.

Owen.

If the back is jacked up and set on jackstands first, then the entire front should raise by just jacking one side...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

If the back is jacked up and set on jackstands first, then the entire front should raise by just jacking one side...

Yeah, I usually put my stands at the front of the chassis near the front of the engine when jacking the back up, this does cause a see-saw action allowing the front of the car to raise. I've not had a stituation yet to have the car on four stands, but I hope to eventually build an inspection pit in my garden under the carport I'm building, so it will be nice to not have to jack it up for every job! :)

Owen

Edited by OwenGT3