free hit
counters
Is it Vintage, Classic or Just an S3 Turbo? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
simonf

Is it Vintage, Classic or Just an S3 Turbo?

Would a 1984 Esprit Turbo be worthy of the tittle vintage? Or is that for Elites and early Elans and the like only?

Would it be better to call it a clasic? or is it too young for that too!

I know a clasic is normally over 25 years old but surely that doesn't apply to the Esprit!

I would definately call the S1 a vintage, S2 vintage too but where does the consensus stand on the S3?

Your thoughts please.

Simonf

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

In the UK a 'vintage car' is normally accepted as one produced between 1919 - 1930.

There is no precise definition of a classic car. Some claim it applies to all cars built before 1 January 1973 (because they are then exempt from road tax) whereas others point to the Revenue & Custom's company car taxation policy which defines a classic car as being one over 15 years old. Probably of more relevance is the fact that most insurers use 15 years as the threshold for Classic Car policy qualification.

So, to answer your question, your car is not 'vintage' but in my opinion does qualify for the 'classic' tag.

:) Gawd, got here has it - big stuff on old motor boat club sites this topic, usually related to 30's - 60's stuff.

S1/2/3 G cars - Classics. Elans / Europa's Eites - etc. Classics

S cars - just cars (& very nice ones too) at most 'post classic'

Vintage / veterans - your back to the 30's & before (here in the UK).

The purest Esprit is the S1/2 then S3 na . Absolutely no question, IMO of course

S cars - just cars (& very nice ones too) at most 'post classic'

I'd like to think of early S cars as classic, but I guess they've got a way to go still.

Most people I speak to think my car was made in the 70's!

In Alabama, Classic is 25 years old. Vintage is 30 years old. At 30, a Vintage tag and registration can be done if you chose to do so, but the cost of the registration and tag is hardly different - just depends if you want a vintage tag.

My tag and registration, not classic or vintage, cost $27.00 USD last year. Insurance runs me about $350.00 USD per year. It is good to be in Alabama...

Drive roofless!!!

Cameron

Edited by Autocross7

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

It is good to be in Alabama...

Drive roofless!!!

Don't you mean, 'Drive toofless!!!'? I thought that was a requirement in Alabama... That's how you know the toothbrush was invented in Alabama - if it had been invented anyplace else, it would be a teethbrush :)

...sorry, couldn't resist. The same could easily be said of North Carolina.

Don't you mean, 'Drive toofless!!!'? I thought that was a requirement in Alabama... That's how you know the toothbrush was invented in Alabama - if it had been invented anyplace else, it would be a teethbrush :)

...sorry, couldn't resist. The same could easily be said of North Carolina.

:)

That could also apply to Kentucky! Shoes and shirt are "optional"

Very true... but when there is this much good food there is not a lot of time for worry regarding 'teeths'...

Also, on a nod to Alabama's previous laws... a state obviously founded by men... legal age of consent is 14, a man can divorce his wife, but the wife cannot divorce the husband, you can have only two or less "long guns' mounted in the rear window, if an aircraft (fixed wing or helicopter) is a "farm" aircraft - then any farm hand can fly it unless going into regulated air space, and... only the passenger may fire a gun from a moving vehicle - but not at any game animal like a dear.

So.... string up the banjo and remember Deliverence was filmed in Georgia!!! Hahaha...

And, if you happen to watch Top Gear, the one where they had 'liberalize' their vehicles and drive through the south was the funniest thing I have seen in a long time (part of that was north Alabama). try to catch the replay if you did not see it!

Edited by Autocross7

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

Hmmm, I think Norfolk might be the English equvalent to Alabama! There is a reputation for mother loving and sister shaggin' anyhow! Brings a whole NEW meaning to MILF!!

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!