free hit
counters
LEfty, the worlds smallest but most travelled Esprit! - Page 18 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
kyliesmith.com

LEfty, the worlds smallest but most travelled Esprit!

Glad to see he arrived safe & sound. Unfortunately his last few trips ended prematurely with no photos taken so it'll be good to get the LEFty project moving again :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

ahhh....see LEFty is still out there !

secret.gif

With this interupted documentary and *pictures coming soon* notes on his private page -think several ( and as such I too..) have thought he was getting *stuck in traffic* scooter.gif

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Hi Folks,

LEFty has just about completed his alloted two weeks here in Ontario, Canada. Given a few more days I can maybe get a pic of him on the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco, and we can add a good 4000 miles (round trip) to his odometer. Would that be cheating, though? For local stuff, he has been here with me to a professional game of "rounders" (as I understand Baseball is sometimes called in England). He has seen Niagara Falls, and spent a few hours travelling with me on a couple of night flights to Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Unfortunately, my photographic skills are lacking, and my camera is poor. I will send the best of the pix to Laura shortly for vetting, but here are the best (sadly) of a bad lot that chronical LEFty's latest adventures here with me in Canada:

LEFty Meets 73JPS:

post-4092-072758500 1276569987.jpg

post-4092-093959700 1276569963.jpg

LEFty Downtown Toronto, Ontario, CANADA, Outside 'Union Station' and Viewing the 'CN Tower':

post-4092-070038600 1276570018.jpg

Seeing a Professional Baseball Game (Toronto Blue Jays vs. New York Yankees):

post-4092-061546700 1276570036.jpg

At Niagara Falls:

post-4092-093440600 1276570112.jpg

Preparing to fly to Calgary, Alberta, Canada (land of MARK T-C, and AEROBAT, et al):

post-4092-033351600 1276570165.jpg

Checking out a few thousand pounds of thrust on a CFM-56 engine:

post-4092-087816700 1276570139.jpg

Avoiding a few thunderstorms near Deluth, Minnesota, enroute to Calgary, Alberta, Canada:

post-4092-014616900 1276571041.jpg

One more I forgot to add: Checking out those same thunderstorms shown on the radar (above pic) from the relative serenity of a few miles:

post-4092-052853700 1276573090.jpg

No breasty babe shots... no breathtaking scenery. But hey, I was glad to have him with me! He is a very polite guest. :)

Edited by 73JPS

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Great pics, you get a good seat on the plane too :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Excellent pictures, I think Niagara falls and above the cloud shots count as breathtaking views!

In view of all the re-sprays going on, I think it's Lefty's turn.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I can say that Gunter did a very nice job on LEFty's refurb: unfortunately, as I think Gunter may have mentioned, the paint doesn't seem to have been quite as sticky as one might have hoped, especially for a world traveller. My little guy had LEFty in his hand for one of the shots not shown, and after he handed him back, he said "Dad: what's this?" He has a few small flecks of yellow paint on his hands: I can assure you he hadn't dropped LEFty.

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

yeah right, I still think for a 'resistant' & permanent world-traveller the cars paint would need to be 'dried in' in a oven... ?!

Or some stronger paint is needed. What I have tried was B05 paint-code *AutoColor*/ICI stuff specially mixed in a shop. The original paint was like standard-paint known from typicall *Hot wheels* or *Matchbox* type toy cars. Not sure about that it matched on one of the historic Lotus paint-codes ?!

It suffered mostly from contact with something like 'oily sun blocker' or vanishing-creme (some of those products works the same as brake fluid..as suggested) so it was going soft on most places. That is why the paint on the front bonnet , respectively on the roof was peeling of in large pieces on one of the old pictures.

Maybe on of the next host's can organise an full *powder coat* in yellow on the body. That's at leat why I modyfied the 'chassis' to be srewd on instead of rivets. The VIP-signature is saved an the body can get seperated an reworked after every 'round turn around the globe' :thumbsup:

I wish this little fellar can still going on with his world-tour. It's an fascinating project.

Sidenote: was there really a plan to offer him on a charity type auction -Bibs ? Any ideas for that so far ..?

I don't think there's any plans in the near future to auction LEFty off, there's still way too many places for him to travel. Plus, although he has a certain amount of sentimental value to us lot I don't think the little car would raise a hefty sum for charity as it stands.

if so ...and there are many more miles to travel: :thumbsup: an 'goldish'/ yellow galvanising on the body would match the 70th paint style, and should be stronger than any paint ?! After all, it will still be an Lotus Esprit -as we can see Eprit's tend to get a respray with change of color-sheme from time to time :)

Any known 'metal artist's or some sort of goldsmith on the list ???

I have inquired as to where LEFty is to go next, but in the meantime, here are a few pics fromhis trip to San Francisco, which he made whilst awaiting the addy for his next destination:

LEFty at the bottom of the famous winding Lombard Street:

post-4092-098836200 1277692135.jpg

LEfty at the top of Lombard Street, in the background can be seen the Coit Tower, and the Oakland Bay Bridge:

post-4092-072417400 1277692104.jpg

LEFty with Alcatraz in the background:post-4092-085557400 1277692158.jpg

LEFty with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background:

post-4092-007711700 1277692189.jpg

post-4092-029927400 1277692174.jpg

Unfortunately, there were no flat spots to place LEFty ON the Golden Gate bridge: it was very windy, and I didn't feel like diving in to the Bay to retrieve him should he decide to take a swim...

Edited by 73JPS

Lefty has arrived in Edmonton. (well an acreage out side of Edmonton actually). I was great way to end the workday, As I had forgotten about being on this list - what a great surprise!

First he relaxed on the deck

DSC_0007.jpg

Then Contemplated 60's rivalries

DSC_0002.jpg

then found a way to get "a head" in life -(sorry!)

DSC_0003.jpg

and then hung out with some distinguished friends:

DSC_0001.jpg

I'll get out to other garage and get some proper Lotus pics later today, We'll do some touring of the next two weeks... should be updating on a regular basis

Edited by Speedster9110

Glad to see he made it there safe and sound. Nice pics!

I'm glad too, he's still making more miles around the world :)

...this last picture looks like lil' LEFty is parking in front of an cathedral ...with an sculpture on the top (what it really is in some ways , right .. :sleeping: )

for Laura: have you managed to re-add the *.doc-file* with the pictures and commentary on LEFty's time around here into the LEFty show-page now ? Or have you lost the mail that was send to you long time ago.. ? Ohh ..and *goospeedV8* told me some time ago (last year ?!) he had problems with his own pictures & camera , so is there any documentary from the 'Hohenems'-time of LEFtys world tour in the forums archive that could be used instead ?

This is great!

Id like to get in on this.... maybe my Esprit will be running by the time LEfty gets around to me.

Thanks to Patrick's flying antics LEfty has now travelled way over 100,000 miles :D I've updated theLEFty website with some more pictures and will add more as I get them

for Laura: have you managed to re-add the *.doc-file* with the pictures and commentary on LEFty's time around here into the LEFty show-page now ? Or have you lost the mail that was send to you long time ago.. ? Ohh ..and *goospeedV8* told me some time ago (last year ?!) he had problems with his own pictures & camera , so is there any documentary from the 'Hohenems'-time of LEFtys world tour in the forums archive that could be used instead ?

Gunter, I couldn't save any of those pictures on the word document and most of them didn't seem to have LEFty in them! If you could do the same as others have & email me your favourite few pictures with brief descriptions I'll get them on the site.

Looking back through this thread it seems gospeedV8 didn't post up any pictures so if he doesn't have the pictures any more then I'm afraid they do not exist.

This is great!

Id like to get in on this.... maybe my Esprit will be running by the time LEfty gets around to me.

Eric, feel free to add you name to the list, you can do so here: Send Me LEFty

For anyone else thinking of having a visit from LEFty please do add your name to the list. This map shows where he's been (roughly) any members out there in Asia, Middle East, Africa, South America, Greenland... that would like to fill those big gaps on the map?

2078bb5d.png

Since you have last seen him:

LEFty Attended an Edmonton Classic Sports Car Club Meeting looking for other Esprits, but could only find his grandfather (Actually a nice Seven Series Two)-

8.jpg

Then listened to storys sitting on his granddaddys knee, well the automotive equivalent -

7.jpg

Then he finished the day of at West Edmonton Mall (the largest shopping mall in North America, fith largest in the world):

DSC_0288.jpg

Edited by Speedster9110

It has been a while since I checked up on little Lefty. Safe to say he is getting a much better and longer holiday than any of us! Good pics everyone!

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

Hi

LEFty has made it to Oslo, Norway :)

And last week end he was lucky enough to go on a trip with Lotus Car Club of Norway (LCCN.no) to a beautiful place call Villa Malla. This is a restaurant next to an old light house at the edge of the Oslo Fjord. By the way, they serve a great lunch :)

Everyone lined up before the start. LEFty and his cousin have a commanding view from the front of the queue

105.jpg

104.jpg

LEFty has found an older brother to give him a lift

110.jpg

LEFty parked with the Big Boys :)

113.jpg

I think they are all having lunch

120.jpg

Now this is nice

125.jpg

Next LEFty is off to see what these strange Norwegians do for winter amusements

Edited by Yeti

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today - James Dean

"If it isn't leaking, it's empty" - Comment from a British sportscar enthusiast after being made aware of an oil slick under his car

Lotus Car Club Norway (LCCN) - lccn.no

LCCN on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/LotusCarClubNorway/

LEFty has been touring Oslo, and has discovered a favorite past-time for these crazy Norwegians.

Who in their rigth mind would ski down this slope? This is the famous Holmenkollen Ski Jump.

128.jpg

130.jpg

LEFty has also found a nice place to se the sunset over Oslo

132.jpg

135.jpg

Edited by Yeti

"If it isn't leaking, it's empty" - Comment from a British sportscar enthusiast after being made aware of an oil slick under his car

Norway is also know for being the home of the Vikings.

Now how did they get around before they started driving Lotuses?

Maybe in this one:

163.jpg

This is the famous Oseberg ship that was built in 820 AD and was dug up from a Viking grave in 1903.

164.jpg

157.jpg

155.jpg

LEFty has also been to visit the famous Vigeland Sculpture park in the centre of Oslo:

168.jpg

175.jpg

And this is the most famous of all of the sculputures. You would have thought that he would lighten up when he saw LEFty, but no...

176.jpg

Hmm, is that King Haralds place?

177.jpg

Edited by Yeti

@Laura: how could I have postet pictures of the 'repaint' -without havin LEFty in it ?!

So think there was much to choose for you -but anyway.. the paint is long gone as I see .. It will need an more stronger 'painting-service' by the next host :animier:

next documentation is in work ..this time I will try to put all into an *PDF

Nice pics :)

but...

:huh: Massive crying baby???

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators