free hit
counters
LEfty, the worlds smallest but most travelled Esprit! - Page 23 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
kyliesmith.com

LEfty, the worlds smallest but most travelled Esprit!

LEfty has left the building, along with a few dozen TLF cards, 5 Lotus lapel pins, and a Lotus keyring...to Portugal, where I wish I was right now instead of working on a corporate financial plan. 

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

LEFty has reached the shores of Portugal where he's enjoying the sun, the food and all those treats that make so many brits choose this bankrupt country to spend their retirements.

Here he is enjoying the sun on top of another fine piece of british crap (I know them well since I have one too). This was last Saturday in Fafe, Portugal on the WRC 

24461_10200173072304317_1594444304_n_zps

Rui Pedro Coelho

:thumbsup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Wow, LEFty finally back on the road again! Good to see  :clap:

Yes, Laura, he's back. And if you have the time and/or patience  we could update the log in lefty's site. It stopped in Edmonton, Alberta back in July 2010 and after that he went to Oslo, Colorado, South Dakota, New York, Glasgow and now Portugal 

It would be great if we all could revive this nice little project. I'll sure do my best to get some good pictures and send him back on track in a 2 week window.

Cheers

Rui Pedro Coelho

And Hethel, but I forgot to take a photo while he was there.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Enjoying an afternoon of track-day action in Braga's Circuit, Portugal

DSC_2225_zps976c42d6.jpg

With a big Lotus fan, my daughter Ana, herself eagerly waiting to become a Lotus driver whenever she can get her hands in daddy's car :)

DSC_2226_zpsfd2bf0e2.jpg

DSC_2254_zpsca3b1d83.jpg

Great afternoon of sun and great track toys

DSC_2389_zpsce488b37.jpg

Looking sideways to Club Lotus Portugal member, Nuno Santos and his striking yellow 111S

DSC_2391_zps32a779c8.jpg

Lefty is really enjoying his Portuguese stay :)

Edited by rco3lho

Rui Pedro Coelho

and her first Lotus will have 'laser blue' body ?

..or is this 'magnetic blue' on her nails :D

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

The LEFty list is now pretty out of date so if you'd like the little fella to visit for a few days, please PM me your address. Thanks :)

Also, please upload your images to this category from now on and add links to them in this thread using the 'my media' button at the top of the posting box. 

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/gallery/category/10-lefty-our-tiny-esprit/

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

Anyone? No? Looks like he's staying in Portugal from now on! 

Evora NA

:tumbleweed::no

Evora NA

I've had Lefty before but I've moved to a different part of the country since then so I could get photos of it in different locations if no one else want to look after it for a while.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Bibs, we're expecting a Series 1 '59 Elan at the shop soon, to complement our Series 3 car (whose body is currently the roof of the office). I'd be happy to take a few snaps, as well as a few shots of LEFty with the lake, or visiting a certain truck stop. You'll have my address once I get your hat sent out.

You're on the list Cam.

I remember our time at the truck stop fondly :)

Evora NA

Upon further reflection I bet we're actually getting an Elite, not another Elan.

Time to revive this thread ! ! !

In the spring of 2011, Patty and I were fortunate to have LEFty. . .      These are the highlights of the pictures we took one cold and sunny day:

post-907-0-59188700-1388452449.jpg

Our jouney begins in March of 2011, along the shore of Lake Erie, one of the five "Great Lakes," the largest amalgamation of freshwater in the world.  At the time, we were living two hours west in Toledo, but Patty and I had purchased a house near here and were looking for job opportunities to move back to Cleveland, our home city . . .

The location for the following shots is along the harbor breakwall for Wildwood Park on Neff Road, for anyone curious enough to look for it on Google Maps.

post-907-0-02147200-1388452800.jpg

The lake freezes most winters.  Usually winters are cold enough that people take walks out on the frozen lake, go fishing, or ride sleds on the frozen waves.  2011 was a more mild winter, but still had its share of ice.  Here LEFty sits on an ice-encrusted section of breakwall, one puff of wind away from skidding off the edge and into the frigid abyss below . . .

post-907-0-25866000-1388452886.jpg

Further out on the breakwall, LEFty rests soundly on a surface that no Esprit body will ever resemble . . .

post-907-0-11122500-1388453268.jpg

At the edge of the breakwall, LEFty ponders the great wide open that lies before him.  Don't be fooled by the clear sky and sunlight -- the wind, although just a gentle breeze today, was still bitter cold. 

post-907-0-24809800-1388454327.jpg

LEFty looks across the small harbour, and this is what he sees off in the distance:

post-907-0-81236700-1388454736.jpg

Nine miles to the west is Downtown Cleveland.   Time for LEFty to go!

First stop is an interesting piece of architecture that sits on the water's edge:

post-907-0-00969200-1388454940.jpg

Coming around to the front, it looks like this:

post-907-0-37844100-1388455100.jpg

post-907-0-63515100-1388455132.jpg

Yes, LEFty made it to one of Cleveland's tourist attractions of the past twenty years:

post-907-0-97157700-1388455229.jpg

Moving on, LEFty decides it's too cold to be outside.  He drives down East 9th Street and makes a right on Superior Ave, and finds himself inside here:

post-907-0-38082700-1388455366.jpg

LEFty is inside "The Arcade".  Built in 1890, it was one of the first "shopping malls" in the United States.  The skylight is 30 meters high and over 91 meters long.  Originally there were five levels of shops;  a ground floor and four balcony levels.   Today the top three levels have been turned into hotel rooms as the Hyatt Regency.  The Aracade is an architectural treasure of America's industrial era, and with all of its polished brass and stone still looks today very much as it did when it opened.

post-907-0-61077800-1388456110.jpg

Well, it's time for LEFty to go home, so LEFty is on his way . . .

. . . but, wait, what's  . . .

post-907-0-78445200-1388456264.jpg

Uh-oh!    LEFty!   I told you not to go too fast!!!

post-907-0-06798700-1388456333.jpg

Well, he'll just have to talk his way out of this one . . . maybe promise the officers a ride in an Esprit S1 or something . . . .

We hope you enjoyed LEFty's trip to Cleveland!

With kindest regards,

post-907-0-51842900-1388456439.jpg

• Like 1

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Any chance of posting lefty over to Malta for some pics in the sunshine ? :)

I'm not sure where LEFty is at the moment . . . I had him a couple of years ago (and just now posted pics for the first time :o    :getmecoat:)

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

LEFty is in Portugal with Rui. A new address for him to be sent to (USAndretti) was PM'd in July and chased twice since. As you can imagine, some of the fun has been sucked out of this! 

That said, and as late as they are, nice pics Tony :)

Evora NA

Hi  Bibs, I am off back on my travels on the 7th starting off in Aberdeen, then Amsterdam, Kazakhstan, Atyrau and possibly Moscow in between. If you want to get her sent on her ways ping me back and I can get her ticket sorted. She will have a one off visit to the man made "D" Island in the middle of the Caspian Sea where she will have to wear a full BA kit due to high levels of H2S gas but as I have full certification for working in these areas I can assure you she will be in safe hands. if she doesn't suffer from vertigo I can get her to the top of the structure where she can be seen looking over the frozen Caspian. Oh and I can even get her on the worlds only Ice Breaking Emergency Escape Vessels, a bit like an offshore lifeboat but hold 170 people.

I think Bibs was saying that Lefty is MIA. Despite the address of the next person being sent to Portugal, he has not materialised.

It is no use sending Bibs any details as Bibs doesn't have Lefty.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

No problem, I can take LEFty's cousin off with me this time out, he is a slightly wrecked , originally white James Bond model complete with battle scars from several car boot excursions. I am sure I can have his Kazakhstan work visa in place for next week and provided he gets through all his induction's and training courses prior to flying out to the Island we can make some work for him which can then be added to his c.v. He should be back in the UK about the 9/10 of February.

That's providing everyone is agreeable to him joining me for a month.

The attached photograph is from Jan 2012 where the Caspian was frozen over for almost three months.

The Wolfe was one of our winter visitors on the scrounge for food, he had walked the 70 odd kilometres across the ice to get to the Island.

post-12149-0-87352200-1388672314.jpg

post-12149-0-36174900-1388672541.jpg

Edited by johnpwalsh

John, this has been going on for 6 years now so we'll stick to the little golden one but ta. The idea too is to get an idea about where you live and work so we'll get you on the list if you PM me your address with LEFty as the title :)

• Like 1

Evora NA

Hi Bibs, just pinged you the details, I promise not to feed him to the wolves.