free hit
counters
Running one - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hopo

Running one

Upon reading the discussions in the 350 ownership topic regarding running costs i thought the best place to explore my thoughts would be a new topic. Especially as my questions are directed towards those G car owners.

I to am looking to get into esprit ownership and am under no delusions as to the costs. Some of my questions may evoke debate and eitherway it will be useful to hear what people have to say. I could always ask a relative of mine who owns an S3 turbo but to be fair he is a bit of a tosser.

As mentioned i am looking to purchase an S3 non turbo model and am very interested in the running costs aside from the purchase price. From my research this can vary widely. what would be the running, service and maintenance costs of such a vehicle? I am aware this depends on the price paid for the car and its condition but i would be very interested to hear your views.

Could such a vehicle be used as a daily driver? and what impact would this have on the running costs? and furthermore insurance costs?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

1st question back to you......

Will you be servicing it yourself....???

If so what kind of experience do you have....??

These are fairly simple cars and as such are pretty easy to work on providing you have a good level of mechanical experience/ability........

Thus your running costs will be directly effected by you ability to get your hands dirty

Simon

Chunky Lover

i am looking to purchase an S3 non turbo model and am very interested in the running

costs aside from the purchase price. From my research this can vary widely.

Very.

These cars are twenty years old now. Two cars of the same year, mileage and

general condition, could well be thousands of pound apart at the next service.

what would be the running, service and maintenance costs of such a vehicle?

I am aware this depends on the price paid for the car and its condition but i

would be very interested to hear your views.

Bought my S3 eight years ago for 9k from a dealer.

In one year i spent 6k on clutch/engine rebuild, manifold etc.

Thing is, are you looking long term?

I say this because after that outlay, i had a further four years of trouble free motoring with

only regular service items and one radiator. The market is rubbish and i sold that car for 6k

(gutting, but i had six months of zero interest), the current owner is, to the best of my knowledge,

enjoying his third year of no problems...

Could such a vehicle be used as a daily driver?

and what impact would this have on the running costs?

and furthermore insurance costs?

Had you bought my S3 from me in 2000, then it you would have had trouble free miles for 6 years.

had you bought it in 1999 then you would have paid out what it was worth in the first year.

The 'do everything' attitude i have towards maintainance (sic) means that the initial mad outlay

made for a reliable car. Done this way, Esprits can be easy day to day cars. But if you wait for

each thing to go rather than get it done in time, then they can be seemingly problematic.

In my opinion :wacko:

My insurance is nearly as cheap as my tax, and it's a weekend toy

car, so thankfully i've never had to figure day to day running. Mind

you, i think the Esprit is tragically wasted in traffic and i'd lament the

petrol that could be spent in a more fun way.

:wacko:

hi nice to see your after an s3,this is firstly all esprits own respect,i have a 1984 s3 silver in colour i bought last year.as stated from other members when buying an esprit get it tested by a expert.i live in dundee scotland and as i bought my lotus in london i used steve williams motors in maidenhead top man to check it out before it was trailered to scotland.firstly in my book get the timing belt changed,look for plenty service bills.insurance within club lotus member with footman james is very good,if you can do oil and plugs etc and weekly checks you will cut costs.apart from that when i drive my lotus it puts a massive smile on my face,in a nut shell look after your esprit and use it and it will look after you cheers lostu.

The 'do everything' attitude i have towards maintainance (sic) means that the initial mad outlay

made for a reliable car. Done this way, Esprits can be easy day to day cars. But if you wait for

each thing to go rather than get it done in time, then they can be seemingly problematic.

In my opinion :D

I totally concur with Paul's opinion about frontloading the cost of maintenance. Get stuff done rather than waiting for it to happen should be stamped on the rear-view mirror.

My S3 N/A is 26 years old *today* and for the last year I've been bringing her back to life slowly - so much so that it seems like I've got to do so much before I can enjoy her on the road again, that it almost seems like pushing water uphill. But when I first had her, she was my daily driver and I had every confidence in her.

My

Edited by RichardS3