free hit
counters
so i did a oil and filter change ( again ) - Page 3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
dodgy

so i did a oil and filter change ( again )

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ok, went on a long hoon with NMEG today, and the car performed lovely :D

the pressures have not dropped from what they were before the first incident so its all Hunky Dorey :o

The Engine is still Sweet :blush:

Come on Si, you know you want it :D

seriously, the car will be going into storage in two weeks, not to be seen for 3 months at least, This is such a shame, so someone make me an offer.

If i make the same decision as the other co-workers have made, i could be away for a lot longer.

If i make the same decision as the other co-workers have made, i could be away for a lot longer.

That's not allowed Dave :)

Hi Dave....

What a story....glad its all back together - i once had a similar "cam pulley lucky co-incidence" on my S4 - wasnt going to get the C service done at the time cos the car had only done 900miles - but Neil who ran the Hethel (Ketteringham Hall back then) service centre at the time convinced me... and just aswell cos when they removed the belt one of the pulleys just fell apart :) a nice pie slice type bit!!!!

anyway

are you really selling that fab looking esprit? apologies for not keeping up but having sold my V8 a few months ago i dont trawl through LEF as much as i used to...thing is i'm gettting withdrawal symptoms and i'm itching for another!

if it is for sale i may be interested....we could take this discussion off-line if so?

regards

jim woodruff

I just spoke to Dave for you Jim, he'll contact you when he gets home tonight at about 6pm or drop him a PM in the meantime. :)

cheers Bibs....

(Dave - as i'm working away from home i will be able to pick up PMs again at work tomorrow - no laptop/net in the B&B u c!!!!)

jim

Well

I thought i would resurrect this thread, as it's happened again! 3rd time!

I cannot believe the new shaft and pulley only lasted 4 years :( and I was not in the country for 3 of them !!!

Bibs, would it be possible to get an exploded view of the pump to make sure it is going together correctly ? There is not one in the parts manual :(

I am now thinking that the pump was not built right in the first place, so then I followed the same error with the same results?

These are the new pics of what is left of the NEW shaft and pulley!

shaft1.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

pully2.jpg

pulley.jpg

Edited by Dodgy

nope, not shot the neighbors yet, though watch this space :lol:

Sis moved house, which came with nice little empty barn, Its got power to it too :thumbup:

Does look like the woodruff key wasn't a snug fit in the slots allowing the shaft to "chatter" in the pulley....angular movement bashing about and finally bits breaking off. Could also be incorrect hardening of the shaft....

I had something similar happen soon after I got my car. Although well over 20years ago it was all sufficiently traumatic that its seared on my mind. Wastegate stuck, so I blew the turbo and HG - within a few weeks of purchase. Got Bell and Colvill to rebuild and C service - all of the car history was with them and only 4 years 14k miles old. £3k+ bill and the car broke again within a month. Most obvious sympton was the clattering/no oil pressure/temp high - which turned out to be the main pulley which had been refitted back to front so the woodruff key didn't fit well and I got similar damage to your pics. B&C most unhelpful so I returned the car to Lotus to get it properly checked out and they gave me a full report (and another £3k bill). There wasn't much that had been done right (incl eg all sump bolts in the wrong places so the short ones just on by one turn while the long ones weren't gripping anything, just sticking out proud. B&C stone walled, so I tried to take it through the courts, but was advised I couldn't prove that only B&C had worked on the car (though I did know that) so I would probably lose and not get my money back just more costs. Needless to say I've not been back to B&C since. Anyway.....the thing is Dave - did someone put the pulley on back to front???

Affraid not Mike, It can only go on one way as it the pulley is off-set and would be about 3" out otherwise :(

I think it would be a great advantage to any dry sump owners here, If an exploded view of the full pump was posted for future reference. Any body got one?

Any body got one?

You'd get a better response if this thread was linked/moved to the Esprit chat and/or Guigiaro engine forum

Thankyou Bibs for contacting Brian for me, we had a chat on the phone about the problem, Brian even went out of the way to send me the original technical drawing for the shaft and the washer behind it (it seems the wrong washer may have been fitted by whoever rebuilt the pump before I purchased the car) and, went to to the stores to see the final remaining pulley that the computer was showing in stock was actually there :) Top man Brian Angus :thumbsup:

As a result from this, I drove to Lotus Stratstone in Stourbridge today and brought the pulley.

Sadly, this meens the pulley is now obsolite too :(

Hope it all goes ok .Great looking car you have there.Mike