free hit
counters
Blue Esprits at the NEC Motorshow in 1982? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Whitney Paine

Blue Esprits at the NEC Motorshow in 1982?

Hi,

I went to the NEC Motorshow show in I think 1982 and the Lotus stand had Esprits in a pale metallic blue colour.

Has anyone any pictures from the show and do the cars still exist?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Stuart

Edited by matk

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

They were in Ice Blue and I remember sitting in them. I even have some photos somewhere in my parents loft. I wanted to drive them sooooo badly. I often wonder if they are still on the road.

Stuart

Anneka Rice had an ice blue Turbo Esprit with a light blue interior, isnt that car owned by someone on here now , Andy Clements?

Nick Warren had it when this photo was taken.

driversside-1.jpg

This one was on ebay a while ago.

83_1_b.jpg

This ones for sale on LEW for 6,500

FS_81T_KimCooke.gif

Edited by WayneB
  • Like 1

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Yes, despite the wife thinking I'm particularly sad in still having them, I have just retrieved my photos from the loft. Lotus also had the Elite and Excel on the stand, in the same colours - I'll get them scanned and posted.

There you go - enjoy. Apologies for the quality, Kodak Instamatic I'm afraid. Can you spot yourself Whitney?

MototShow1.jpg

MotorShow2.jpg

Edited to re-insert photo links.

Edited by hedgerley

I agree. I remember queing for ages to get on the stand. As you can see they didn't let many on in those days, it was pretty exclusive. I've got a similar set from the Aston Martin stand, when the 'original' V8 Vantage was launched. I've also got a set from another show when Lotus used a gold colour.

I didn't dare to imagine that 20 odd years later not only would the Esprit still be going but I'd actually have one!

I've just noticed the stand logo - black ACBC. I guess it must have been 1982, when Chapman died.

Edited by hedgerley

Thank you so much!

I simply can't believe that I have thought about those cars on and off for years and within a day of asking (and being a newbie to the forum) you produced high res pictures of them.

I think I may be the adolescent leaning into the stand clutching a bag of brochures....2nd picture down on the left above the Esprit....or maybe not.

Any idea on what happened to Motorshow cars, or did they just get filtered anonymously into the dealer network?

I am off to the pub now to bore my friends with how brilliant this forum is!

Thanks you once again.

WP

Any idea on what happened to Motorshow cars, or did they just get filtered anonymously into the dealer network?

They would just be sold on, maybe after doing a bit of press duty.

That Ice blue Elite Riviera ( :cool: ) appeared on a cheesy-80s Lotus promo video that someone on here kindly linked to.

The video also had a couple of Ice Blue Turbos on the production line. If it's the colour you're diggin' heres a couple of shots of an Ice Blue Eclat Riviera that was for sale recently;

Edited by britten_mark

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Anneka Rice had an ice blue Turbo Esprit with a light blue interior, isnt that car owned by someone on here now , Andy Clements?

Nick Warren had it when this photo was taken.

I've got the one that Nick had, your top photo. If it's the car Anneka had it's news to me, but then I have no real history of the car. It had a light blue / dove grey interior, but that's now been converted to black.

Andy

I remember that show so well! Seems like yesterday!

I also remember those queues. You don't see them like that anymore do you!

Here's hoping the next show will have queues like that waiting to see the Eagle! :D

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Hi

Find attached a picture of another ice blue Esprit Turbo

this one is from 84

Unfortunately I cannot see all the other pictures here.

Mark, would you mind sending me the pics from the motorshow as well ?

The ice blue one is my favourite

Cheers

Marc

post-4237-1224354291.jpg

thanks Mark

I can see the pics from the NCE motorshow now

White lettering Goodyear NCT's - I like that :-)

Cheers

Marc

Edited by eengel1

Ah such a lovely colour.... bit of a bitch tryin to get some touch up paint for it though!

heres my lady; might have to get the white paint out for the tyres! dont like the hite lotus on the back of the above car though

29062008390.jpg

37 minutes ago, LJR said:

On Saturday I collected my Esprit and there was some information in the paperwork that suggested it was one of 6 replicas of the 82 Motor show car. However, I've just had a reply from Andy Graham at Lotus saying that in fact it was one of two built for the motor show. It did indeed filter into the dealer network quite anonymously 6 months later. Does anyone remember if they had two Esprit's at the show? Andy can't say whether there were two, it was the actual display car or if it was the back up car.

Sounds like Andy's information has just inflated the value of your car Lucas:o:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Good result

all the best Esprit's are indeed motorshow ones in blue 

• Like 2

Only here once