free hit
counters
The first month - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
redshift

The first month

Have now been an Esprit owner for one month.

The car I finally settled on had full service history, every invoice since new and had been subject to 2 independant prepurchase inspections during its life. My 'inspection' revealed a few other issues that were dealt with by Sportomotive..... oh the gearbox transmission seals are weeping but it was felt that could be left till the A service next year.

Apart from that, all I have had to do is add petrol (slightly less often than I had anticipated though :P )

I had driven an S4s in the past and to me it seems that the V8 is not enormously more powerful, its just the way that it delivers it. The 4 cyl had a definite kick in the back at full boost whereas the V8 just has a tidalwave of torque at any speed and any gear. It picks up speed deceptively quickly and no, I havent been flashed yet despite accelerating from a toll gate and thinking that should be around 130kmh by now... (wrong, 200 was coming up).

Spent the next two weeks reverently watching the speedo because it doesnt let you know just how fast it is going.

So what has been learned in a month?

- Madame, who intially described the Esprit as fugly now admits that it looks so much better in real life than on any photo (and "where is my key?" :P )

- The Esprit may be the fastest car from A to B - provided you dont keep stopping just to get out and look at it.

- I really dont mind all the photographing (even while driving) but please turn the flash off, thought les flics had got me...

Best of all was this weekend when I passed an old granny with her Twingo and got a very animated :cool::D .....

..... "you can still pull then" says Madame. :blushing:

0421oh1.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Congrats mate! It is startling the reaction you get isn't it!

In covoy with Paul and James this week end we went past a car with a kid in it and he was videoing us and when I pulled in to my house a neighbour was walking past with his 4 year old son and the kid went "WOOOOWWWW!" Hi sdad said "What" and he said "LOOK AT THAT CAR!!!" Cool! B)

The negative reaction is that every dick in the world wants to overtake you. We cruised back at a reasonable speed and you would overtake just a normal car and after we pulled in it would speed up and power past us!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

We cruised back at a reasonable speed and you would overtake just a normal car and after we pulled in it would speed up and power past us!

Sometimes (not every time) they just want a better look/another look at the car.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I was just about to say the same. In fact I'm guilty of this myself if I'm in the day car and see something interesting running at a speed I can catch it at!

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

I love it.. Just last night I was at a petrol staion locally and a couple of italians were taking phot's of my car as I got back to the car they asked if I minded.. I was like hell no go for your life.. Then a group came over and were like wow is that a ferrari?? I Quickly said LOTUS and they said oh yeah it's written on the front... also had a few waves from some girls while out and about.. I'm such an attention whore, I love it..

Mark

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

Sometimes (not every time) they just want a better look/another look at the car.

Or that they have now found their phonecam and are now hanging out the window with it.

One other lesson learned so far:

For reverse, start with 2nd gear.

That would make an interesting graphic on the top of the gear knob??

That's an amazing colour, congratulations!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

I'm always chuffed to bits when Joe Public shows some interest.

Coming back from Stoneleigh yesterday, Dave (oneshot, silver Sport 350), Simon (orange GT-3) and myself (Norfolk Mustard V8-GT) were all sitting in a queue on the A45 between Coventry and Birmingham when we passed a Jaguar garage. Mum and Dad (Dad was holding his little lad) were with the salesman when they saw us. All 4 of 'em were pointing and smiling and the little lad was shouting his head-off...........great.

Then on approaching the M42 junction a guy pulled alongside, gave us the thumbs-up and the nod and then wound down his window and asked us the rev the engine.......we do offer a very professional public service me thinks B)

Graham

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Hi Pete, grrreat car and colour!

Yesterday I had my first "being taken picture of" experience, twice! Both in rush hour. Saw this car, in my rear view mirror, veering port and starboard in the rush hour in a roundabout trying to steer and aim his cellphone camera at me at the same time! 10 minutes later, on the highway, this guy had one arm out of the window taking snaps - steering with the other. There is a law here on hand-held mobiles while driving - no law against taking pictures at speed??

Edited by Atle

lo.jpg

This way to ship models! http://www.modelship...user-index.html

AELLEF_Esprit_27.jpg