free hit
counters
Help required regarding locating wires for otter switch - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
espritmania

Help required regarding locating wires for otter switch

Hi,I have just finished installing three new rad fans.At the front (drivers side is the otter switch) but no wires.I cannot locate them,I have taken some photos to see if anybody can see them or the connections where the two wires should go.Ps there is no otter switch in the rear. Thanks Paul G.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Good One there. I will have to trace mine back & see where they should join. Is the S1 supposed to have it's otter switch under the front drivers side wheel arch? or should it have been else where? How was the orriginal single fan turned on? is the Q to ask here.

Might need some one with an s1/s2 sevice manula here.

Daz

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

Ok, Should be the same as turbo here. He says...! I am poping out to local Lotus meet tonight, so will try to have a look later or tomorrow for you.

Daz

The wire colours to the otter switch (from the fuse box) is yellow/green

From the otter switch to the relay is black/orange

from the relay to the fans is either yellow/brown (fused fan relay ,W/ Luminition)

or 2 yellow/brown wires from a double contact relay to a thermal trip (with reset button) then 3 back/green wires to the fans (Constant Energy Ignition)

I can see the brown, black/orange and yellow/brwn wires at the relayless relay plug (hanging above the rubber body drain plug in the second pic.)

Edited by WayneB

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Does your Esprit have Luminition or Constant Energy Ignition?

I need to know as they have different fan wiring and relay setups.

Heres a couple of wiring diagrams, the fans are bottom right hand corner.

EspritS3wiringdiagram.jpg

EspritS3wiringdiagramFan.jpg

Edited by WayneB

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Thanks Wayne, I was going to add the wiring loom, saved me a job.

Paul.

I have had a look under the front of mine. Now she is an 85 Turbo with AC & uprated suspension. Not sure if the AC would make a difference here. Anyway. From the Otter switch on the Drivers side. The wires run into the loom along the top of the chassis frame, just above the fans, with off takes leading to each fan unit. this then leads through a rubber grommet that brings the wires in to the passenger side of the bonnet area(where the spare wheel goes for you US & Canadian fellow esprit owners).

this then joins the therm cut off switch, located by the washer bottle, & then on into the cab on the passenger side, with the rest of the loom.

So you should have some wires hanging off the top of the front chassis frame. & you may have to splice in an extra feed for the 3 rd fan, if you can't see a spare connector. Though I would have though it was a standard wire loom for all esprits!........ thus may have the connector tucked away somewhere.

the wiring diagram shows that S3's fitted with AC would have had a third fan, so no AC then you'd only got two fans for the Rad. All turbos have 3 fans as standard. Have you fitted a bigger rad from the Turbo varient? as you only mention fitting the fans?

Daz

Hokey dokey,my car has three fans fitted to it.I have now bought a relay that was missing,it looks that on my first picture there is a connecting block that is resting on the the rubber inspection cap that should have a femail connector on it .I am wondering if that is where the two wires should go to because there is no evidence of any cut wires,whatever has been removed has been unplugged not cut? Paul G.

Hi,can you tell me is the thermal cutoff switch attached to the inner wheel arch because I have a cluster of wires that go into a femail connection,but no male to connect to???

See my second picture far right.

Edited by espritmania

Hokey dokey,my car has three fans fitted to it.I have now bought a relay that was missing,it looks that on my first picture there is a connecting block that is resting on the the rubber inspection cap that should have a femail connector on it .I am wondering if that is where the two wires should go to because there is no evidence of any cut wires,whatever has been removed has been unplugged not cut? Paul G.

Paul

Looking at your centre picture. I'd say that wire with the female connector( that is resting on the rubber gromet) belongs in the middle of two relays, located behind the left headlamp pod. (will try to take photo & post later for you).

Yes the Threm cut off switch should be on the inner wheel arch. Looking at your centre photo again I'd say it was the bracket on the right side of that pic. The therm cut off switch should just plug onto it.

mine sits next to the washer bottle.

Does your car have A/C?

now I ve had a proper look at your photos. you can see the wire that goes through the rubber gromet to the under side of the body. that should lead to your fans & otter switch.

Daz

Shows my therm cut off switch.

espritwires2.jpg

The Blue thing is my air pump for the air horns. note brown wires inbetween the two replays behind this.

espritwires1.jpg

Paul there is a discussion on LEW regarding replacing the otter switch. Not sure it will help you but there are some photos showing the wiring exiting on the underside.

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EM...TTERSwitch.html

Edited by gghc87

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Something strange going on here,no thermal switch and at the moment there is no gap between the relays.It looks like the car has had a repair to the front I think parts have been removed and not have been put back. I was wondering does any body know if there is somebody has an S3 or S3 turbo close to me .I live at Weston S mare nr Bristol.I would like to see one so I can get an idea of what I need to fix it ,Paul G.

OK ,today I have byepassed the thermal overload and sorted out the relays.I have located the two wires which go to the otter switch.The problem that I have now is that with the otter switch disconnected the fans ,when wired up stay on .Ideas anybody?? Thanks Paul G.

Today I have found out that the otter wires have been spliced together under the dash,this would mean that they were on the time .I will trace the wires back further to see if there is a switch,Anyway your help was great thanks for helping me solve this problem.Paul..

Glad to hear you are getting there. Sounds like it was a bit of a botch job. Glad we could be of help.

Daz

Edited by dazmans3