free hit
counters
Esprit owners age - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Esprit owners age

Toua

Whats your current age  

212 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That's what they said on tat TV prog - understeers ever so slightly before the back goes - it's your 'warning'

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am a agressive driver.  I see the road as a circuit.  Every turn gots to be a heel-n-toe and every down shift has to be double clutch.  The closes racing school is in Chicago.. dont really wanna go there.  I have been driving since 16 now almost 21.  I have driving FF, FR, MR.  I got to say though the MR is my favorite for its tail slide.  Very nice quick tail kick for drifting the corners..(recommend big tires). 

Well I think in 5 yrs Ill be able to get a lotus Esprit.. I can prob. get a Elise in 2 yrs but I dont want a Elise.. JUST the Esprit!..something about the V8 Twin Turbo just sounds better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Toua, you should change your way of driving or should stay away from the Esprit. :o

Or better, stay away from public roads! :o

My 2 ct.

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

I know .. i spun out twice in a FF in the snow trying to E-brake drift! Actually im good at the now! Another time my civic went up the curve and my axles are bent and ball joints are gone!( just fixed them this past week) Now I think I'm ok now with my skills! It takes a little accident to learn from my mistake!

that's a perfect example that the esprit is within the reach of anyone. people claiming they can't afford an esprit yet, just haven't made it a priority, or are plain underachievers.

There's also the question of whether you buy it outright or get a loan. I own all my cars and the bank doesn't. I was (and still am) far from rich myself when I bought my Esprit. I did pay cash for it, nearly $30k, which amazes me now, but didn't at the time.

A lady I knew "bought" a Boxster S a few years ago. At the time, the base price was about $52,000. She added a bunch of options and had a final sales price of $75,000. Then a state sales tax brought her total cost to $81,000. For a Boxster!

It's a nice car, but not $81,000 nice. Needless to say, it was all bought on credit and she sold it about two years later at a loss - selling it for something like $42,000 when she owed well over 50 grand for it. So now she has no money and no sports car.

So, when I see people with expensive cars, Lexus, Mercedes, things like that, I often wonder how many of them really own it. When I see someone in an exotic, like a Lotus or Ferrari, I'm more inclined to think they've got enough money to buy it outright.

-Dave

All Cows Eat Grass

i've always bought my cars cash as well. i could have broken even on the interest writing it off from taxes, but that would be irresponsibly working the system. if everyone did it, america would be in even worse a shambles than it is.

I was 24 when I bought my SE. I've had it for 5 years now. Got a loan, put $3,000 down, and it's paid off now.

Next is an Exige, I'll wait till they depreciate, no need to buy a new car and take that hit. I saved $68,000 by buying my car when it was 11 years old. Actually it sat on a lot till '92, so it was only 8 years old...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

maybe i should look around for the closest club.. i think the closes is in MN i think or Chicago.. dont really know..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ooh yeah, big lotus owners group of the north (LOON) up there

with a couple of serious Lotus techies that are a little too knowlegable...

can put you in contact with them if you are serious

but great group down here in Florida too

post more pics and you can tromp around in mine all day :P

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Great I really dont have to pay attention to a lotus now until im around the age of 31 - 35 the poll says.  Trying to be the first person with a Esprit in Wisconsin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seriously! They're not that much out of reach... Go for it now. Okay, so you're a student now - but you're gonna get a job soon right?

I've thought about this very carefully, and I think so long as you can put aside roughly $800 each month you can afford an Esprit. In America yes Esprits are more expensive, but petrol is cheaper, so is insurance(!), so is the cost of living, so it all evens out. I think the average wage is something like $2k/month - so it's do-able and affordable for all.

Don't set your goals too high at the moment, yeah - the V8s and S4s's will be too expensive, so will things like the Essex. But there's a whole world of Esprits out there: $15k must be able to buy some sort of half-decent esprit even out in the states where they're more expensive. Perhaps a 1984 Turbo with 90k miles? I wouldn't say no.. You've also got a whole range of S3s and S2s within the budget with cash to spare, plus the one and only S1 if you can find one which I imagine would be even cheaper - even if in mint condition.

So think about it! All you need is $15k! You're gonna get at least $5k from the sale of the honda so i assume so you're only looking for $10k. :) So start saving, I reckon you could do it in a year once you start work.

You could launch a charity appeal!

Sell the girlfriend on ebay... (joking)

Sell yourself :lol:

Start doing odd jobs for Teigan..

You'll get there :huh: You've obviously got the passion - you wouldn't have stuck around here for so long if you didn't. So make it a reality.

EspritMiltonKeynes - ironically now lives in Edinburgh London (SE4)

Student myself.

Why do you think I spend so much time in the red light district, as Wayne says! :rolleyes: I should just be thankful I have such a reputation that women will willingly submit to me in exchange for monetary loss on their part.

Having a new TR7 project to get running, I seriously need to get a new job (They kicked me out of my job researching alternative fuels after I changed my major all too late).

My next job, believe it or not, has me working up close and personal with children :blink: hehe...

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

• 1 month later...

This thread is a good read. I'm 23. Bought my 2000MY V8 a year ago at an auction in Wisconsin. I paid in cash for the car from working and a good real estate investment.

I've spun out once in it, and unfortunately went up on a curb that ripped off the front plastic spoiler and made a small crack in the front bumper by the foglight. I have yet to replace either since they don't seem to be having an effect on the car. I'm sure I'll get around to it by spring.

Anyway, it's nice to see there a few people that bought a esprit in their 20's. I think it's a good experience to have a car like this younger so you don't get an urge for it as a midlife crisis :mellow:.

Paul

Edited by pasha2891

This thread is a good read.  I'm 23.  Bought my 2000MY V8 a year ago at an auction in Wisconsin.  I paid in cash for the car from working and a good real estate investment.

I've spun out once in it, and unfortunately went up on a curb that ripped off the front plastic spoiler and made a small crack in the front bumper by the foglight.  I have yet to replace either since they don't seem to be having an effect on the car.  I'm sure I'll get around to it by spring.

Anyway, it's nice to see there a few people that bought a esprit in their 20's.  I think it's a good experience to have a car like this younger so you don't get an urge for it as a midlife crisis :mellow:.

Paul

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

23 and a 00 esprit.. what kind of job do you have. Just think about this ... > 22 going for my masters.. one class for masters = $1200 * 2 class = $2400 + books = $3000 a semester * 2 semesters = $6000 * roughly 2.5 yrs = $15000

BY the WAY .. there is no scholarships for Masters.. All loans or CAsh..lol

$15K for S1-S3 is a good deal.. but then again.. $15000 for my Masters of Software Engineering is a good deal too (Private School).

You need to get your priorities straight! :D

I finished college, got a job and bought my first Esprit, and then went to grad school! :)

By the way, I'm 30 and bought the first S1 when I was 23 turning 24. Got the second one several weeks ago.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

You need to get your priorities straight!  :)

I finished college, got a job and bought my first Esprit, and then went to grad school!  :D

By the way, I'm 30 and bought the first S1 when I was 23 turning 24.  Got the second one several weeks ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto. Am currently doing the same

Shah

My Beautiful Car http://www.glcforum.com/ukesprit/forums/in...CODE=12&CID=182

ribbon200.gifProud to be a G-car ownerribbon200.gif

23 and a 00 esprit.. what kind of job do you have.  Just think about this ... > 22 going for my masters.. one class for masters = $1200 * 2 class = $2400 + books = $3000 a semester * 2 semesters = $6000 * roughly 2.5 yrs = $15000

BY the WAY .. there is no scholarships for Masters.. All loans or CAsh..lol

$15K for S1-S3 is a good deal.. but then again.. $15000 for my Masters of Software Engineering is a good deal too (Private School).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I've been working as a software developer for some financial companies around the area since I was 20. So I was able to buy some real estate right before I finished college and make a really good return on it. That's where most of my money for the car came from.

If I got to grad school it will be for an mba. I don't think getting a masters in computer science is the way to go for me. Not enough return on the time/money invested.

Anyway, no matter which one you get you'll get used to having it. But it will still be fun everytime you take it out.

yeah i can see buying an esprit around 20 something if you have a job but if your unemployed like me then that dream seems far away.

unless get job then grad school.. my options are open to work first or grad first. whatever comes first.