free hit
counters
Gearbox transmission seals - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
redshift

Gearbox transmission seals

The final job I can see with the car now is to do something about the oil drips under gearbox.

I did a thread search and there was a reference to a guide on LEW but I couldnt find it.

The principle steps seem quite clear but if there still exists some photographic version somewhere, could someone point me in the right direction?

I can then jack the car up at the weekend and see if I have all the necessary tools and competence.

While under there, I want to have a look at the rear camber adjustment. Is there an adjustable link/shims etc?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Pete,

To change those seals you need to remove the driveshafts from the box. You need seals and a roll pin kit. there is also a rubber o ring on the gearbox shaft that you should replace, one on each side. The problem lies with inserting the new seal some people drive it in with a socket but this can damage the seal and it will still leak. There is a tool which is about

This is an instruction doc that someone made to show you how to replace the rear seals on the http://groups.yahoo.com/group/turboesprit

Log on or sign up and go to "files" and look for this file

"Esprit Transmission seal removal and replacement.doc"

There are clear photos of the process/procedure

Hope this helps

Just realized I could attached the file to this... here it is as an attachement. It is by another Lotus owner.

Esprit_Transmission_seal_removal_and_replacement.doc

JoeyO

2001 V8

Edited by joeyoesprit

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

Have now spent an afternoon under the car having a general poke around.

Before taking anything apart I took the car for full geometry check on a laser jig so I could have a before and after reference to know what adjustments had interacted.

Oh dear, all parameters can up RED except front toe :thumbsup:

A little surprising given that the car has a recent A service + geometry set-up by a well known UK agent.

Rear camber is a LONG way off (3

Have now spent an afternoon under the car having a general poke around.

Before taking anything apart I took the car for full geometry check on a laser jig so I could have a before and after reference to know what adjustments had interacted.

Oh dear, all parameters can up RED except front toe :thumbsup:

A little surprising given that the car has a recent A service + geometry set-up by a well known UK agent.

Rear camber is a LONG way off (3

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

I think they last about 10K to 12K miles

That will explain it then!

I found some polybushes at PUK Esprit that are 2 piece so no special tool is required. Might try them.

Anyhow, will get back under the car at the weekend and do some more measurements and see if the ride height is really OK. Workshop manual is now ordered so hopefully that will answer a lot of the noob questions.

Looks like this will turn into a winter project....

Just had a leaking seal and wheel bearing replaced at a main dealer.
Edited by joeyoesprit

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

That seems like a good price to me.

Over here in the states my local Lotus dealership charges $750US just to replace the seals (includes parts & labor)! JAE sells the "seal kits" which includes the seal, o-ring and roll pins for about $35 to $40US per side. I also purchased the Lotus seal installation tool from SJ Sportscars in the UK for $168US. The local dealership said it was a five to six hour job to replace the seals - interesting that the former Lotus mechanic (that used to work at this dealership) told me it only takes about 2 hours to do it!

Another reason why more people work on their cars here in the US.

My Lotus dealership labor rates are at $105US per hour to work on Lotus.

JoeyO

2001 V8

That was the same mentality why I did my own seals...the dealer here in Thousand Oaks charges $120/hr labor, and full list for parts.

I ended up having to re-do a side that ended up leaking while I was refilling the trans, but got it right the second time. Pulling the seal out a second time it looked like the outside of the seal where it contacts the transmission tore during install. Lubed it with silicone before installing and all went well this time. Since the trunk was out the first time, it was a perfect opportunity to pressure wash all the nastiness off the transmission. Looks all clean now.

Joey, the special Lotus install tool... does it set the depth of the seal...ie just keep tapping until the tool bottoms on the transmission? I bought a schedule 40 PVC pipe fittings (a Tee and a plug for the end) that had the perfect diameter of the seal to use as an installer. I think the first seal was either defective, or I wasn't careful enough to keep the seal even while tapping it in, which caused it to tear. Either way I got it done for a third of what the dealer would have charged. Just made the new seals flush with the outside beveled edge of the transmission case.

It is also possible to do this without removing the trunk floor, at least on the lhd side. That alone probably takes at least an hour to R & R., not to mention all the vacuum lines you can end up disturbing. I also found it difficult to reinstall the half shaft without disconnecting BOTH the upper and lower links.

Edited by Paul93Lotus

That was the same mentality why I did my own seals...the dealer here in Thousand Oaks charges $120/hr labor, and full list for parts.

I ended up having to re-do a side that ended up leaking while I was refilling the trans, but got it right the second time. Pulling the seal out a second time it looked like the outside of the seal where it contacts the transmission tore during install. Lubed it with silicone before installing and all went well this time. Since the trunk was out the first time, it was a perfect opportunity to pressure wash all the nastiness off the transmission. Looks all clean now.

Joey, the special Lotus install tool... does it set the depth of the seal...ie just keep tapping until the tool bottoms on the transmission? I bought a schedule 40 PVC pipe fittings (a Tee and a plug for the end) that had the perfect diameter of the seal to use as an installer. I think the first seal was either defective, or I wasn't careful enough to keep the seal even while tapping it in, which caused it to tear. Either way I got it done for a third of what the dealer would have charged. Just made the new seals flush with the outside beveled edge of the transmission case.

It is also possible to do this without removing the trunk floor, at least on the lhd side. That alone probably takes at least an hour to R & R., not to mention all the vacuum lines you can end up disturbing. I also found it difficult to reinstall the half shaft without disconnecting BOTH the upper and lower links.

Yes, the factory tool I purchased has two collars. The narrow (18mm) collar is for the

right hand seal (fitted in the adjuster nut), and the wide (20mm) collar for the left hand seal (fitted in the housing). The way it works is that you place the correct collar and seal on the tool and then the tool slides on the stubs of the output shaft (so it is aligned with the seal hole and square to it

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

I did this work too myself.

Was an easy fix that took about 2and 1/2 hours, I have a key to remove the drive seal housing, I replaced the o ring, two roll pins and the drive shaft seal. I also changed the oil for a really expensive lotus spec fully synthetic oil. gearbox was smooth as silk after I dropped the old stuff. was about

Joey, this info is from someone who knows about these things :)

The Seal Insertion Tool is obsolete at Lotus.

It was a tool Lotus bought from Renault so may still be available within the Renault organisation.

The Renault Part Number is 00 00 108 101

Also mentioned are some other V8 Engine Service Tools that he can not get.

All are available from stock at Lotus as of now.

T000T1339 Crankshaft Positioning Tool

T000T1345 Tolerance Pin

T000T1337 Setting Pin

T000T1398 Clavis Gauge

T000T1360 Tensioning Tool

T000T1391 Timing Disc

Hope this information is of some help

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

a small notice in this discussion:

If you can not get a new seal in the right time you need it AND! it is only leaking because of loss in stiffness of the sealing lip, than do the *East German* [or maybe call it Russian like] version. Pull out the inner tensioning spring with a hook (be careful!!) and open it. Those springs are open-ended and only connected on the ends with a light difference in diameter. Shorten it on the smaller end, put both ends together again and slip the spring back inside ( it is good to use more hooks in one time there, like to fit a tube in a bicycle wheel...) If the sealing lip was undamaged it gives you the option of an other half year without removing of the old seal.

second notice: those type of axial sealing rings (or as we call it: "Radialwellendichtringe" -in short "WDR's") are labeled with working temperature thickness and inner-/outer diameter. That means it is listed in ISO/DIN tables for those types of parts. And therefore available at any skilled car-parts shop (not only Lotus or Renault...) . You can find them in machine shops for various industrial products.

http://www.ekugellager.de/static/html/lieferprogramm.html

http://www.dsp-pidt.de/Start.744.0.html (english version )

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I was going to just the change the seals but I remember reading somewhere that the O-rings were a primary factor in these leaks so I have both. Looking at it now I cant see how the O-rings are a factor if the seals are not seated right up to them??

Just need some silicon RTV now - and PUK to deliver the polybushes for the suspension arms (the originals are totally shot).

Oh the LHD headlights have arrived too, its going to be a long weekend.

Just tried talking to several Renault dealers about the seal insertion tool for the UN1. The number is not comming up on their computers as a current part.

Figured it is something that I will use a few times during my ownership, and is handy for other chaps to borrow.

So any other ideas where I could get one from?

Cheers,

Stuart.

Driving Automotive Aristocracy Since 2004

Just tried talking to several Renault dealers about the seal insertion tool for the UN1. The number is not comming up on their computers as a current part.

Figured it is something that I will use a few times during my ownership, and is handy for other chaps to borrow.

So any other ideas where I could get one from?

Cheers,

Stuart.

I purchased mine seal insertion tool last year) for the UN1 thru SJsportscars (http://www.sjsportscars.co.uk/)

So you might want to contact them. If you can't find, I can provide you with a drawings (which is based on the one I purchased) so you might be able to get someone to make one of seal insertion tool for you.

I noticed that they still have the tools listed on their web site

Roll Pin Punch Set T000T0678 (I did not buy this becuase all you need are some long punches)

Output Shaft Seal Replacer T000T0681

JoeyO

2001 V8

Edited by joeyoesprit

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098