Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine/Turbo cool down - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine/Turbo cool down

Is there an engine and turbo cooldown period after you have been out driving your car? I have had turbocharged cars before that required you to let the car idle for about 2 minutes after diring to let the turbos cooldown ... Is that the same with the V8 Twin Turbo???

If you do not do this, would you hurt the engine or turbos? How?

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The V8 Owners Handbook says in the "Stopping the Engine" section "that after a spell of fast driving, allow the engine to idle for 2 or 3 minutes in order to allow the turbochargers to cool off and reduce the possibility of oil within them carbonising".

Regards,

Peter.

Is there an engine and turbo cooldown period after you have been out driving your car? I have had turbocharged cars before that required you to let the car idle for about 2 minutes after diring to let the turbos cooldown ... Is that the same with the V8 Twin Turbo???

If you do not do this, would you hurt the engine or turbos? How?

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

If you stop the engine after you have just stopped, the turbo will still be spinning and the oil pump would not be pumping oil to it. You should really keep the engine running for a few minutes after you have stopped so the turbo still gets its supply of oil. This should be done on all turbo vehicles otherwise bearings in the turbo can eventually wear away.

• Gold FFM

one thing is the oil pumping period during running out from hot rides. The other is the recirculation pump that is switched on automatically after stops on hot runs, it helps also as the turbos are watercooled versions... .

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..