free hit
counters
The 1450 Mile Esprit Self Delivery - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
73JPS

The 1450 Mile Esprit Self Delivery

Hi All,

After the warm welcome in the Newbies Section, and the encouragement I received which let me know I was NOT crazy to drive my newly acquired Esprit on a 1500 mile from Dallas TX to Toronto ON, I thought I would briefly share some highlights of the trip.

I flew to Dallas on Sunday November 4th, and picked the car up on Monday morning. Well, it was supposed to be the morning, anyway. A reset check engine light and new battery later and I was on my way... departing Dallas at noon, about 3 hours late :getmecoat: .

The trip took me from Texas through Arkansas, Tennesee, Kentucky, Ohio, and Michigan before crossing the border at Detroit into Ontario. The weather was beautiful for the entire two day journey, until I got to London, Ontario of course, where I hit rain, snow, and ice pellets. :blush:

The car performed flawlessly throughout this trip. It cruised very nicely between 70 and 80 MPH, with the temperature holding steady at 90 degrees, regardless of the outside air temperature, which varied from 25 in Dallas to 0 by the time I got home.

I felt that the tires had a bit too much shake at speeds over 60 MPH, so on Day 2 I had all four tires balanced in Elizabethtown, Kentucky, before setting out for that day's drive. This did make a substantial difference, and as it turns out I had taken

a nail somewhere along the way too in the right rear, so that was fixed.

My impression of the car was greatly enhanced when I swapped out the noisy and creaky glass roof for the solid roof. Man, that glass roof is annoying on long trips!

Other than that, all I can say is that this is one exciting car with gobs of power, the US interstate system is fantastic, and the State trooper who pulled me over in Kentucky was one hell of a good guy! I look forward to many years of this car, and look forward to the community of the forum.

Cheers,

Patrick

Edited by 73JPS

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Patrick,

That is a stunning Looking car.

I want to take mine on a long European journey, (perhaps skiing ala 007 ?)but that glass sunroof is annoying!

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Patrick

Sounds like a cracking trip. My longest is about 250 miles so far but I hope to make the trip to Lemans next year which is a much better run. Great car and I'm jealous you have such distances to drive without an outboard :getmecoat:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Congratulations Patrick, welcome to the forum and good luck with the car

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Congrats, Patrick, and I'm sure you will remember the trip for a long time! :getmecoat:

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Hey man, welcome to esprit ownership. I did the exact same thing as you did. I am located in Manitoba and picked my Esprit up in Atlanta, Georgia in July and drove most of the way home. The car was an absolute delight to drive. Did not notice the creaking from the glass roof as you experienced. The only thing I have noticed is that when the weather gets cold, there is alot of creaking where the leather meets the front windsheild along the pillars. Goes away completely when warm. Anyways, congrats on the purchase!!

WEEEE another Canadian!!! Glad you had such a great trip! Can't wait untill Spring when I've finished my engine... long trips await me!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Oooh arrh its a beauty!!! Enjoy it, thanks for showing us a pic :getmecoat:

Patrick forgot to mention, while this forum is the No.1 site, this site below has started up which is specific to mainly USA/Canada owners which you may also enjoy :blush:

http://www.lotusbuzz.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=46

350.gifNo.23

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the great info! Now if I can just figure out what to do with the car for the winter... :blush:

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Now if I can just figure out what to do with the car for the winter... :blush:

Patrick, All four seasons - Enjoy it and drive it. Welcome.

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Hi Patrick, So where did you get pulled over in Kentucky? I bet you were on I75...

Gorgeous Esprit! Love those wheels!

I knew you would enjoy the long drive home Patrick.

These cars just eat distances like that with consumate ease.

The only tricky part is to keep the speed down to something sensible (or not as the case may be :blush: )

My impression of the car was greatly enhanced when I swapped out the noisy and creaky glass roof for the solid roof. Man, that glass roof is annoying on long trips!

The sounds are probably because the car was delivered with the solid roof. IIRC, the gasket for the thicker solid roof is thinner than the one inteded for glass roof cars, leading to a rattle when the glass roof is in. I have noticed the same thing with mine.

I was going to add the above. My 93 with a glass roof was quiet. You have the hard top rubber seal, which does not apply enoughpressure against the glass.

If you hate the glass roof, I'd be willing to take it off your hands! B)

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

Hi Patrick, So where did you get pulled over in Kentucky? I bet you were on I75...

Gorgeous Esprit! Love those wheels!

Greg: Indeed I was on I75: just prior to the Kentucky/Ohio border.The fact that I was pulled over was really my own fault: I was not speeding, but the plate I had on the car was a Texas plate the dealership had let me keep. I had a proper Ontario Temp Trip premit, but foolishly thought that I would be better off running with a normal looking (if expired) plate. The trooper was very friendly, though, and although it cost me about 20 minutes, it was really a non event.

Thanks again to all for all the kind comments: it looks like there are ALOT of nice Esprits here! Now I am off to make a new post about my latest adventure: see "AUGHH!!!!" :blush: