free hit
counters
HID Xeon Headlights Kits - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
superdavelotus

HID Xeon Headlights Kits

I was looking at kits today after driving my daily car which has them fitted as standard. Kits aren't that expensive anymore and now looks more attractive as an upgrade.

So who's fitted them? Was it hard to fit? Do you have any install guides etc?

Also reading about the colour temperature, OEM Xeons are 4300K base aftermarket Xeons start from 6000K. then step up in 2000K increments upto 12000K. But the funny thing is that the higher you go, the less white it becomes and eventually goes blue. 6000K seems to be the whitest (I think).

So any input would be appreciate. If not then I'll take a chance and order a set and do an install guide for LEW.

regards,

Dave Walters

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've got HID on high beam only, they really make a difference.

I had new ( 1 year old) reflectors, and they still looked quite dim with 60w halogens, the difference with 6k HIDs is fantastic.

There is an issue with low beam, and I'm working on a way to overcome it.

HID low beam are legal, but in a standard reflector headlight they fail to cut the beam off enough, thus they fail the basic "should not dazzle other road users" test. The answer is projector lights for low beam.

I've got some Hella ones, but they're a lot deaper than the 5 3/4 reflectors, so I need to cut the pods, re-glass, work out how to mount them etc.

Happy to share what info I already have.

Oh yes, one thing, to cut down on the surge at lights on that would occur with all 4 on HIDs, I'm planning to re-wire the low beam to be on whenever headlights are on, then there's just half the surge (unless you switch on straight to high beam).

Also it deals with the delay when dipping lights.

Andy

Hi thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if it's worth spending more money and buying the BiXeon kit which does both dipped and main beam?

It's worth it , in so much as you'll be able to see the road ahead, even on dipped beam. You will still have the problem of dazzling oncoming road users if you just use reflectors.

I'm sure a lot of people just use refelctors and don't get pulled by the police.

There are a few options though, if you just want HID high, then either HID in the single beam lights, or a HID & Halogen combo lamp in the twin beam lights, not great because you still get just Halogen low.

You can get Bi Xenon which have 2 HID lamps in one, one high and one partially sheilded low.

Then there's the HIDs with a moving sheild, much the same issues as above, except you don't get the short period of time with no headlights as one set go off and te others are warming up (it's only a fraction of a second, but that's quite a distance at 70mph).

I' also loking at some motorcycle projectors, look promising, but we'll see.

Andy

please...can you post the photos of your car with the xenon kit lights??

I want fit a new kit on my GT3 grey metallic I hope that it's very good!!!

please let me know about the correctly model...h1,h2,h3.....

thanks

Hi Andy,

you know when you've mentioned that if I go for H4 dipped it will still dazzle other road users, was this based on your deeper lamps you used? Surely if you use a HID replacement H4 bulb kit, isn't it designed to simply replace the old bulb?

Have you heard of telescopic H4 bulbs which change from low to high beam?

For another

Dave,

Its not to do with the length of the bulb, I believe the intensity of the HID's coupled with the increased lumen output are too much for standard reflective optics to handle hence why OEM HID's generally come with projector optics given greater control.

As an aside they are are not legal even if they have he correct optics if you don't have some sort of headlamp washer set up fitted.

I hasten to add I shall be doing mine as soon as the opportunity and funds arise and I may even go for low rise projecor pods!!! We shall see

Hi Toby,

I was reading some legal stuff too on this issue. They say this onlt applies to OEM factory fitted or cars which had them fitted in the range. Since the Esprit never had these then I think we are OK?

Will do some more reading.

Have checked the the dazzle issue, you have to reallign yor beam once you've fitted a HID kit. This is an easy job, just mark a wall where your existing beam were and set the new ones accordingly.

Regards,

Dave Walters

dave.

I have bi-xenon 4500K HIDs in my other car, i haven't bothered in the esprit, it would need 4 kits and I don't use the lotus much at night anyway, i do 30k a year in my daily car and 3k in the lotus, so never went to whole hog and fitted HIDs to that.

strictly speaking AFAIK/read up on/heard rumours etc. a while back, you can only have them fitted to a car in an after market way by a dealer and if the car has headlamp wash wipe and auto (not a manual up/down knob like mine) self leveling in the headlights. this is a lever and a pot on both front and rear suspension on modern cars of course. how this is policed i do not know. I feel the dash mounted manual adjusters working properly are less likely to blind people coming the other way as modern cars being so softly suspended seem to wallow about and im for ever getting blinded by oncomers with factory HIDs coming towards me. another problem with having two really low cars!

I also have manual pump up rear dampers on the daily road car, so with a heavy load in the boot or my fat mate on board! i can raise the rear back up with a hand pump or with an airline and/or lower the lights with the adjuster.

My old banger has passed the MOT twice with them in now, i have them wound to the perfect height on the MOT testers machine and they don't blind/dazzle anyone. they have a much better spread of usable light and they are very white compared to glow worm yellow halogen bulbs, people say they look blueish, but compared to std yellow H4 bulbs they will do! I wouldn't go back to std bulbs, but strangely don't miss not having them on the lotus as i use it so little at night. Have heard a projector lens is the best for them to work well, but that would be rather expensive to sort out i think on a

Edited by pitstoppete

Dave,

Its not to do with the length of the bulb, I believe the intensity of the HID's coupled with the increased lumen output are too much for standard reflective optics to handle hence why OEM HID's generally come with projector optics given greater control.

As an aside they are are not legal even if they have he correct optics if you don't have some sort of headlamp washer set up fitted.

I hasten to add I shall be doing mine as soon as the opportunity and funds arise and I may even go for low rise projecor pods!!! We shall see

The reason Toby gave is the one I was refering to about having to use projectors not reflectors.

The thing is, you can re-align the normal reflector ones lower, but tthey still don't have the same cliff effect the projectors have all, alll, all, nothing , they're more all, most, fair bit, small amount, still small amount of light. That way the cut off is less pronounced, so to get a reflector headlight to not dazzle oncoming users, you need to have them aimed very low.

Hi,

Not exactly about Hid, but it's about lights. My lights are terrible compared to my other car, so tonight I went and bought a complete new set of replacement reflectors and new bulbs. I inquired about HiD conversion, but when he said

Think you'll be impressed with the Visionplus's, Owen.

Been using Osram Silverstars on the Subaru for several years but have recently switched to Philips Visionplus. They're significantly better particularly on dipped beam. In fairness the Silverstars were a vast improvement over standard headlamp bulbs, the Visionplus's just take it to another level.

Hi,

light change didn't go as smooth as I would have liked! :animier: First a part was missing from one of the lights I had bought and then when I removed the lights this morning from the car, I found the conversion wasn't going to be possible without major work. :animier:

The lights I had bought were 5.75" in diameter, but the Esprits are 6", ok not much .25" but enough to not work on the Esprit. The outer lights although they were too small would have worked ok fitment wise, it was was just diameter the problem. The troublesome inner ones wouldn't have worked even if they were the right diameter. What I can't understand is why Lotus designed the inner fittings different to the outer lights, there looks to be plenty of depth within the pod for both inner and outers to have the same fitments, the same as the outer, it's just mad logic! :animier:

So I returned the lights to Panks, but did keep the new bulbs. So for a temporary measure I have repaired the bad reflectors until I buy some new official Lotus lights, but this will have to wait until after Christmas now, too much expense this side of it, as well as Christmas I have my other cars insurance due, always pay out!

I had one really bad reflector and minor chrome missing on the others except for one which was ok. To repair them I have used sticky alloy foil, if it doesn't hold then I will have to get the lights before Christmas. Also I've wired the spare main beam filament in the outer light bulbs into the main beam, so I have four lights on main beam now, seemed a waste to have the light there and not use it! :yes

I will measure the lux readings tonight to see what the improvements are, I will be surpirsed if there isn't some improvement, then just in the new year I will get my new lights so illumination will be vastly improved! ^_^

I think this will be the last winter for my Battery, I have a feeling it's on the way out, also my pods pop up and down more now than when I first got the car when starting, people have mentioned this is a sign of a bad battery, even more expense!

I love it, I wash it, I feed it with the best grade fuel and oils and still it demands more!

Owen.

Edited by OwenGT3

Hi,

Measured my lights, a vast improvement over yesterday. The dip beam was reaching 100,000 lux so I had to move the sensor further away, but I was still getting a reading between 50,000 - 70,000 lux. The biggest improvement was with the main beam, not only with lux levels, but just the amount of light having all four lights working! Lux level was a low 11,000 lux yesterday, today it's over 50,000 lux, again having to move the meter further away from the original measuring postion.

I'm a happy bunny now, should be able to see anything coming now. ^_^

Owen

that sound likes a big improvement for a lamp swap, think I may look into this maybe best compromise will be to go with the bulbs as normal headlights and HID's a full beam!!!!

Hi,

The Philips bulbs are producing a lot more light, you can see the difference. I think it's helped a little with my temorary reflector repair as well, but on main beam going with all four lights has really made a whole lot of difference. ^_^

If you gona go with HiD then main beam would perhaps be just enough and bulb improvement on dip. There is this issue that cars have to have these power washers if fitted with HiD, I was told this by the shop yesterday. I think it will be down to you MOT person, and how flexible they are regarding legallity.

Owen

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

I have the Eliseshop HID kits fitted to both the S350 and the S160. The kit is simply bulb replacements, so uses existing reflectors.

For the benefit of SELOC non-members, there's been much discussion on the legality of after-market HID kits on that board, with no conclusion AFAIK. However, HID must be one of the most popular mods amongst SELOC members. I've had no issues (yet!) with the S160's MOTs post-fitting, and the S350 passed its first MOT with the kit fitted earlier this week.

The kit definitely makes a big difference to driving at night, so comes highly recommended.

(Disclaimer - I have no connection with Eliseshop, other than being a customer)

Edited by T8TUM

Re legality, the government have answered that one (illegal, unless you comply with certain rules), but keep in mind , the inner headlights on the Esprit are actually really a driving light, so changing those over should be OK AFIK.

Re legality, we would have 3 things to achieve for using HIDs on the dip/main headlights.

1) E approved lights for HIDs, so not normal reflectors- simple enough

2) a sellf levelling system- not sure if this has to be automatic or could be manually derived

3) a cleaning sysyem, we have pop up headlights, similar to the cats eyes inthe road- gues that could be achieved as they didn't say they had to wash & wipe, a wiping mechanism should be enough.

All that would be necessary if you get a really nasty MOT examiner (and can't go else where for some reason), or you REALLY upset a police officer.

I'm going for inner only currently, then possibly a part way (projector lenses) on the fitment for the outers and hope.

Andy

reason for edit

Here's the link to the Department for Transport, page on HIDs

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

Edited by andydclements

Seeing as people aren't really interested in HID kits and would rather put brighter bulbs in, I have bought in 10 sets of superbright 100W Xeneon gas filled bulbs, which I should receive tomorrow. Should be around

Hi all,

Received delivery of the superbright bulbs this morning. I haven't had chance to try them out so Iam offering an introductory offer of

Pete,

Your main beam is your high beam, same thing. You have a dipped then main/high. This bulb is the outer one that does both (two fillaments), this is what a H4 bulb fitment always does.

The inner one is a H1 I think which is only single fillament bulb (high beam only).

I can get these but I would try the H4 ones first and see what you think.

If you have the all headlight relay fitted then this is bright enough as you'll have your outers and inner lights lit on main/high beam.

Regards,

Dave Walters

ps. I'll hold a set for you.