free hit
counters
What if the S1 Air Dam wants to be part of the car - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

What if the S1 Air Dam wants to be part of the car

Hi all you S1 people out there

Is it only me that thinks the air dam on an S1 looks tacked on and should be part of the car or is that blasphemy?

I have always wondered if it could be joined into the front mudguard, so I bent up a template from PVC foam and clamped it on. It doesn't look bad to me & if I Glass it over and stick it on with a few screws I can always remove it later.

:blush: ..................xisab

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all you S1 people out there

Is it only me that thinks the air dam on an S1 looks tacked on and should be part of the car or is that blasphemy?

I have always wondered if it could be joined into the front mudguard, so I bent up a template from PVC foam and clamped it on. It doesn't look bad to me & if I Glass it over and stick it on with a few screws I can always remove it later.

:blush: ..................xisab

Hi,

I think the S1 has to be staying original only technical update or improvement can be done but thats a personal opinion.

Cheers,

Jean

Sorry have to agree with Mat!

I even prefer the spoiler to be balck not colour coded.

It's your opinion though.

I suppose if you ask for other peoples opinion, you may get some not agreeing!!

Edited by winners

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!

Just another point, the S2 spoiler was extended round the sides as it was found this made the car more stable at higher speeds, so you could argue this is a mod that Lotus did themselves. Having said that still think leave it original.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

I would agree with the keep it standard view.... i have made a few changes to my car like putting on braded fuel hoses and twin motor headlight lifts but where possible i would keep an S1 original.

If / when you go to sell it i think you will find people will pay more for an S1 thats standard than one thats been moded.

However ... its your car and if you want it that way then go for it but going by the fact that you asked for other peoples views, perhaps your not that sure about doing the mod????

Its not life or death anyway ... your not cutting the roof off so im sure you could change back but either way i wouild keep it standard.

Thanks for the replies

Reaction is about what I hinted at in my post

What is it so far 2 maybe's and 5 keep it standard - thats a good enough reason to go ahead & be damned.

I would bet Colin chapman never owned a standard car.

I will make useable plugs so at a pinch I will be able to make moulds out of them.

Iain................. I will put up some side & front pics next time I try them on.

You should leave it standard it's the law - Chapman would turn in his grave if he knew what you were doing to his baby!!

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Wow with jig design like that you ever thought of getting a job at Lotus in production engineering? :thumbsup:

IMO Leave it standard, the S1 is such a pretty little car and at the other end of the scale my Turbo G car is a brash baddy. There are not enough S1s around and you will only be losing money...if ever you want/have to sell.

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Wow with jig design like that you ever thought of getting a job at Lotus in production engineering? :P

IMO Leave it standard, the S1 is such a pretty little car and at the other end of the scale my Turbo G car is a brash baddy. There are not enough S1s around and you will only be losing money...if ever you want/have to sell.

Hi Scott

I dont have access to vacuum bag moulding in my garage at home & as they are plugs I use whatever method I can to keep the glass in touch with the PVC foam till the resin goes off.

But IMO the S1 would be a pretty little car if it wasn't for that damn air dam at the front (check all the press reports when it was released) & getting the car back to original will take less than two minutes & let us all face it - a Lotus Espirit is the most under valued car in the world anyway.

Let's say I am making these as an aerodynamic improvement to fix the stability at high speed, and as I intend using a insert at the join and deliberatley using a different shape to the S2, I am not trying to imply the car is anything but an S1.

:lol: .....................xisab

post-4093-1195001912.jpg

Nice setup - I agree with the comment about working for Lotus.

On another 'moulding' issue - I am missing the clip-on-fitting from the interior (driver's side), above the door. The item is there to tidy up when the roof lining meets the wall of the car. Name escapes me atm.

I was told it could be replicated by your process - but I don't have a blank. What is the S1 setup? Can I convince you to do another great job? (will pay of course!)....where is the kids piggy bank? :lol:

Iain

Nice setup - I agree with the comment about working for Lotus.

On another 'moulding' issue - I am missing the clip-on-fitting from the interior (driver's side), above the door. The item is there to tidy up when the roof lining meets the wall of the car. Name escapes me atm.

I was told it could be replicated by your process - but I don't have a blank. What is the S1 setup? Can I convince you to do another great job? (will pay of course!)....where is the kids piggy bank? :lol:

Iain

Hi Iain

The one above the drivers door spends most of the time in my lap. Do you still have the two white clips attched to the body, they are clips which suposedly you snap in a piece of 1/2 inch tube - very dodgy - designed by the tea lady on her day off. Well not designed, picked up from the local hardware to make a tea towel rack & pinched by CC to temporarily hld the trim in place. Am I being too hard?

I have jammed mine in place by wrapping a bit of insulation tape around the wobbly bit of pipe.

Maybe I should make something better.

Joking aside, I could see what it would cost to get the trim off and on again so I clold make a mould to reproduce it. Or I could see if Icould shape one up out of PVC foam and throw a coat of f/glass on it (it would be the strongest part of the roof) - I will check it out for you OK.

B) .................xisab

xisab

Sorry I think I came accross a bit mean, just looked a bit heath Robinson! It has always amazed me what people can make in their garages with the lack of expensive tools. I think this is true ingenious engineering. I may not be with you on redesigning your front bit but its your car and you should do what ever you think. I think if you make it as you say so you can take it off again with no ill effects that would be the safest idea. I take my hat off to anyone who has any luck with the old GRP moulding. I tried it once, sticky fingerprints & fiberglass every where...exept where I wanted it!!! :lol:

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Thanks for the replies

Reaction is about what I hinted at in my post

What is it so far 2 maybe's and 5 keep it standard - thats a good enough reason to go ahead & be damned.

I would bet Colin chapman never owned a standard car.

I will make useable plugs so at a pinch I will be able to make moulds out of them.

Iain................. I will put up some side & front pics next time I try them on.

Well they are all done and on the car - and super strong, I am sure I could use them as jacking points, and the are very light as only PVC foam and 1 layer of f/glass each side.

I couldnt match the Oxford Blue L32 in a pressure pack at the local auto store so I had to settle for royal blue - but I promise I will respray them when I next get a chance.

Here are the front and side pictures for Iain.

post-4093-1195281137.jpg

post-4093-1195281156.jpg

post-4093-1195281171.jpg

post-4093-1195281185.jpg

And another view

post-4093-1195902666.jpg

Ive added this one to show the black trim between the OE and the

"high speed stabilisers"

I am thinking of engraving "S1" into them before I make moulds from them

Any comments (or encouragement) before I do???? ^_^

Cheers........................xisab

Edited by xisab

" I bet Colin Chapman never owned a standard car"........Youre right!!I own Colin Chapmans S1 Esprit and there is not much standard on it at all.... My spoiler is from an S2 or so I thought. When I was repairing it I discovered it was made from card board and glass fibre over the top. The car was used as a test bed for any new S2 mods so my card board spoiler probably was the original fag packet design. The headlamps have also been modded to twin motors and the ears behind the side window are for show only, speedline wheels and S2 rear lights...... A genuine Lotus Hotchpotch. Right off to the garage for more head scratching.

Phil

" I bet Colin Chapman never owned a standard car"........Youre right!!I own Colin Chapmans S1 Esprit and there is not much standard on it at all.... My spoiler is from an S2 or so I thought. When I was repairing it I discovered it was made from card board and glass fibre over the top. The car was used as a test bed for any new S2 mods so my card board spoiler probably was the original fag packet design. The headlamps have also been modded to twin motors and the ears behind the side window are for show only, speedline wheels and S2 rear lights...... A genuine Lotus Hotchpotch. Right off to the garage for more head scratching.

Phil

Hi Phil

I am not surprised at the "non standard" things on your car - mine is a 78 model S1 (352G) but it has the twin headlight motors, and most of the wiring harness is S2.

I could go on but suffice to say anything I do to the car is usually an improvement over standard, but we have to remember they were built nearly 30 years ago- thank goodness they got better with time.

B) ................xisab

Xisab... I think what you've done is gorgeous! That weird front lip really did want for what you've done. Just my 2 cents

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

I think the S1 looks best with the front spoiler in black (it seems most or all Federal cars had it like that), and I am a purist to some extent, but I think your modified spoiler looks really good from any angle except straight on. Looks awesome from the side!

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Phil

To be honest and from looking at various cars i dont think there is such a thing as a "Standard" S1, S2 or S2.2.

Many of the cars had whatever bits were available fitted to them and as one model changed to the next there was a blend of changes rather than a cross over.

Even within a particular model there would be changes taking place as the development went on and when you think about it, for a low volume manufacturer it makes sense.

If you had an improvement available why hold off to the next revision of the car if you can fit it now and carry it over to the next model.

It was probably S3 onwards that things became more "standard" i would imagine?

However..... i agree with making small changes if they make a big difference... braded fuel lines, twin headlamp mod etc BUT as a rule i think cars should be kept as they were built.

If you think about it, the reason most people are in the market for an early car is because the want a bit of history, if you mess with it then i can only imagine that you devalue it.

Its like when you see an S1 with skirts and a louvered turbo back window ... it just looks wrong.

Can you imagine the uproar if i created a post looking for a good body kit for 0100G :animier: ......lol.... may be worth it just for a laugh ^_^

There are so few of these iconic cars about these days they should be listed like buildings :animier:

Hi Gordon

You make some really good points and I agree with you and probably a lot of people on this forum agree with you - trouble is the rest of the world doesn't.

When I purchased my S1 back in 1991 I could have got Maserati Merak or a 911 for the same money but I loved the Lotus (still do) the only trouble is the Lotus is now worth 1/2 what it cost me (only a slight exaggeration)but the other two have doubled in value or more!!

Why is this? - because not many people are in the market for them history or not.

Part of the answer could be that I have spent as much as the car cost me in keeping it going or fixing or improving things and this may be common amongst early Esprit owners.

Mind you I get as much enjoyment out of working on the car as driving it - could this be the attraction for some people (like early Esprit owners).

Am I being too cynical, I know I am waffling on so I had better shut up

:) ...............................xisab