free hit
counters
Spacers under car - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kyliesmith.com

Spacers under car

Has anyone fitted some spacers under their front bumper to act as a protector pad for going over nasty judder bars or horrible driveway exits/entrances. I am starting to get concerned about ground clearance issues for when my Sport 350 arrives. I never really had any issues with my 89 as there was no lip spoiler and could go most places with care. But this is extreme!! We were thinking of making some teflon blocks to mount under there somewhere to help spread some of the load to avoid damaging the front lower splitter.

Anyone done this? Or something similar? Ideas :)

350.gifNo.23

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have a carbon fiber splitter that extends about 3 inches out from the car. Makes it a real pain to get in and out of driveways but as long as I go over things slowly and at an angle it's fine. I've scraped it a couple times but it just results in some scrapes on the unfinished underside of the splitter. No big deal. Just take it slow.

There's nothing really strong enough to take the load without creating a bigger problem and breaking the body. At least you'll hear any scraping with the OEM splitter so sacrifice that instead of the body I reckon.

DanR

Hi David I was more worried about the piece above the rubber spoiler.

So going through a steep dip in a driveway or off a high speed hump the nose is just happy to scrape along the ground so long as its done super slow. :wacko:

I will just have to be real careful.

350.gifNo.23

I had to take my fibre glass bit off, and replace it with the standard 1 inch rubber lip.. My driveway is unfortunately really steep.

I have to reverse on as well, or it still catches if I go front on. (still can't get my head around why that is).

maybe you could do that? Take the fibre glass bit off, and put the rubber trim back on directly to the bumper. You won't really be able to tell to look at that it's any different.

Hi Glyn yeah my driveway is pretty good and shouldnt have too many dramas. Its interesting to hear amounst people if they do have any issues on the whole. Am not too keen taking parts off if I dont have to.

The only problems I ever had with the lower front section where either on some workshop 4-post lift ramps (clearance is tight) or under low speed heavy braking. It is the dive on the front suspension that can cause impacts to the body coloured mid-section. If you can approach obstacles slowly and control the dive on the front, you should be okay.

When does the car arrive?

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

You are going to love it when it arrives Kylie.The rubber part of the front spoiler is quite flexible so wait and see before you worry too much.

The entrance to my property is a little steep but it just misses.

Also before Lotus brought out the new suspension I needed some new shocks so I got some adjustable ones and had some springs made to the same rating as the factory 350.That way I kept all the same ratings but I could adjust the ride height slightly.

On standard springs though you should be fine .

I have hardly used mine this year but I'm driving it every day at the moment and I'm in love all over again !!!

Rich

Sport 350

Great to know Rich, I am counting down the days now should be 4th Dec which is only 6 more days. I got the final Tax invoice from customs today :shock: It certainly is a slap in the face, but well worth it in every way.

Now I cant understand why you would want to sell the most extreme Esprit that most people aspire to. Is it too late to not sell it, or the deal well signed and sealed?? Do you think you will get another one day? I really hope so :evil:

350.gifNo.23