Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rubbing brake hoses - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Rubbing brake hoses

I have noticed my front brake hoses are rubbing on the inside rim of the wheels (both sides). The rub mark lines up and I can only think that it touches when the wheel nearly bottoms out - it is clear when there is normal weight on wheels.

I ordered a couple of new brake hoses, but after looking at the attachment points, there doesn't seem to be any room for adjustment, or repositioning.

Any ideas - experience with this?

Iain

Edited by iainskea

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok - some pics to get you thinking. I just can't see how to readjust the line position to stop it scuffing on the inside rim of the wheel.

Iain

Weight on wheels, wheels straight:

img0173md1.jpg

Wheels left lock:

img0175qy6.jpg

Wheels right lock:

img0174kn7.jpg

Iain,

Maybe you can try the following: Loosen the nut on the hose which holds it on the bracket and also loosen the connection of the hose and the brakepipe (both on the opposite side of the caliper) and twist the hose a little so the bend in the hose points a little downwards and then tighten up everything again and check. After this you probably have to bleed the brakes and be aware that brakefluid loves to eat paint etc.

Freek

Esprit Freak

Hi Iain,

Can you bend the hose bracket that bolts into the hub? I seem to remember mine was at an angle so I couldn't get a socket onto it and had to use a spanner because it was shielding the nut. Not near mt pc or the car right now but I'll try and dig out some pics when I get back.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Peter has it right..bend the outboard bracket until the hose doesn't rub...job done. Shouldn't be any need to loosen the hose or bleed the brakes, just a bit of scientifically applied brute force!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Thanks for digging out the pic Pete.

I had a go at both ends adjustment - and (found - doh!) the little bolt on the car body side. I lowered the hose a bit and will refit the wheel and put some rub tape on to see if it worked before replacing with a new hose.

Thanks Guys!

Iain