Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
30 years in the making! - Introductions - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

30 years in the making!

Sparky

• Gold FFM

Greetings

Well - I finally did it. Been gagging for it for years, and events conspired to force the issue this month! I'm now the proud (and somewhat apprehensive) owner of a 1989 Turbo. Despite reading so much advice to the contrary, I melted at the first one I saw. Fortunately my wife managed to check my enthusiasm for that one, but I persevered and melted at the second one instead. She's red - not my preferred choice - but I adore her. She's known to this site - she was owned by Andy Kyte a while back, and he had a page in the owners section.

Although I have a fair amount of mechanical expertise, she scares the hell out of me! She has a bit of a sketchy history, but seems to have had shedloads of work done over the last couple of years. I'm in the middle of compiling a looooong list of all the checks I want to make on her, and I hope I'm not going to wind you all up with loads of questions. She ain't perfect, but I'm ready to spend some cash to make her better.

The missus got a good deal out of it too. I had to promise her a new kitchen. Gulp.

Anyhow, I'm obsessed, and I can't get the grin off my face, even in the face of impending huge expense...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Hi Dave

I'm in Watford. Maybe we should start a Herts division! Just read your wiper post - coincidentally my wiper switch is a bit flaky too, seems to make up its own mind as to whether to be slow or intermittent. I'll get pics up in a few days - have to admit I've been living in mine, and she's bloody filthy now.

How's yours doing?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Well done gary...welcome to the "I just bought my first Esprit!" club! :)

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Hi Gary - welcome to Esprit ownership, well done.

These cars arn't so bad and maybe you will just get trouble-free wonderful motoring. Then you can spend all of your time sorting the kitchen!

Can't wait to see pics.

Iain

hello and welcome Gary, the smile stays for ever by the way.... enjoy

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Guest Troy Halliday

Welcome and congrats.

Don't worry about asking questions you need to know that is what the technical sections were made for. The search engine is always a good place to start, as lots of questions you may have will have come up before. Sorry to hear about the kitchen though mate B)

• Gold FFM

Thanks, everyone, for the welcome. I must admit the colour's growing on me, although I'm getting tired of people calling it a Ferrari!

Kitchen brochures multiplying rapidly. I'm afraid - very afraid.

Since I still can't wipe the smile off my face, I'm going to wash the dirt off the Esprit this morning...

Kitchen brochures multiplying rapidly. I'm afraid - very afraid.

It's a small price to pay. My missus ended up with a bloody dog that's worrying me for his breakfast right now.

Hope you enjoy your car, there are a lot of people here who waited years and years and can empathise with you.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• Gold FFM

I wonder what others had to promise to get their toy...?

Anyhow, cleaned her up and popped over the park for some pics:

post-4129-1196006906.jpg

post-4129-1196007015.jpg

The camera may not lie, but it does manipulate the truth: the paintwork isn't fantastic, and there's a mismatch here and there, but overall quite a looker. Found loads of little niggles - in particular an awful FUEL SMELL! Thanks to all the great info on this site, I've checked the vent pipes and they're awful. I'll be changing those in a few days. But I took the side panels off and the RH tank looks pretty rough. I'll check/ask for advice in the appropriate section. As I said, I was prepared to spend cash on her, so it looks like this may be the first biggie. Hasn't done anything to remove the idiotic grin though. :respect:

• Gold FFM

They're yours! Just give me your paintwork and a couple of fuel tanks.

• Gold FFM

Ah, if only. Unfortunately the Ayatollah says they'll clash with her new kitchen.

Lovely red esprit there Gary, welcome to the fresh esprit owners gang!

Mike Kimberly at the launch of the Lotus Evora,

"These cars will be for the few who know the difference!"

• Gold FFM

Hi Bo - thanks! Saw yours - very nice. I came very close to buying a G.

• Gold FFM

Cheers Russ! Yes, although acting like a kid in a toyshop, I deliberately bought one under budget - so now I have a cash float to work with. Looks like it won't go far though. I reckon new tanks pretty soon...

Welcome to the forum, Gary.

Strange the things people have to do to get their Esprits. I used a small part of a large bonus for mine. The wife used the rest.

Very clever to buy under budget and keep the rest for repairs, emergencies. Nice to see that someone takes the advice on how to buy.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Hi Gary and welcome to the forum :) Your car looks great! I bought my S3 Turbo in July of this year and have n't stopped grinning since (well until i found out that i needed a new steering rack, exhaust manifold, clutch.... :( )

Hopefully you will enjoy being on this forum nearly as much as you will enjoy driving the car. Its packed with good people with a common interest in a great car! And very handy for people like me as I have some technical ability but never going to win and engineering awards! Some of the guys on this forum have legendary knowledge on Esprits and that comes in very handy when you are trying to replace say a steering rack, exhaust manifold or maybe a clutch...!)

Anyway best wishes and enjoy your car!

SiF

PS - Has your wife had a word yet about you popping out to the garage and just staring at your car! Mine did when i got mine! :(

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!