free hit
counters
Is this a mid-life crisis? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Is this a mid-life crisis?

iainskea

I have heard a couple of comments, usually in jest - and mostly by women, that owning this wonderful Esprit is a sign of a mid-life crisis. This has made me pause and think...

img0003af3.jpg

For a start, how would you know if you are having a mid-life crisis? - I mean, doesn't the word 'crisis' indicate it would be very cataclysmic and dramatic - or even depressing? I imagined that if it were happening to me, I would be sitting on the end of the bed questioning the whole 'point of it all' sort of thing and then doing all sorts of out-of-character behaviour, not least chasing young girls (with my bad back - yeah sure...).

At 43 years old, I had just self-assessed that my Esprit ownership was due to now being able to afford such a nice car (and afford the maintenance bills too), and my appreciation of the style, design and handling of the car - what a great piece of automotive engineering. This mixed with meeting all sorts of nice folks (ahhh LEF) all seems to make normal sense to me.

So what is this crisis all about? Am I in denial or is it something far more sinister that is just joked about. And, if this is as bad as it gets - I'm ok with that.

Thoughts?

22560918dr0.jpg

Iain

Edited by iainskea

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got accussed of the same thing when I bought mine. I think it refers to men panicking at the loss of their youth and trying to regain it by buying a sports car or chasing young girls or buying a motor bike. I think a lot is to do with what you say. You can finally afford a toy. Your kids are old enough they can drive themselves so you aren't ferrying them everywhere and so you get that special car you've been promising yourself for years.

It's just that women can't cope with the fact that some men stay young at heart no matter what their age.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

These comments are usually made by people who have been unable to follow their dreams or do not have the same zest for life that you have. It should be obvious to rational bystanders that expensive pursuits require achievement of the financial standing to pursue them which most often comes with "maturity." As long as you are fulfilling whatever personal and financial obligations you have, no problem in going for it! :yes

"this is no social crisis, this is me having fun!.."

Eric

(who bought my first liter sport bike at 42 :) )

You pose an very good question Iain.

For me, it was finally having the financial means to buy one of the cars I have always loved. (and believe me, I have quite a list of cars I would love to own, as many of you probably do). I never really thought I would be able to afford one, but with the kids pretty much on their own, and the house paid off, some things become affordable. . . and some dreams do come true!

The Esprit is a remarkable piece of automotive engineering and a beautiful sculpture to the eyes. It makes me smile whenver I look at it, not to mention the thrill of the drive.

It means so much more to me than figures on a bank statement, at this point. I really enjoy all aspects of ownership.

It may or may not be an investment that will appreciate over time, but I sure appreciate it every day. :)

Ed

I have heard a couple of comments, usually in jest - and mostly by women, that owning this wonderful Esprit is a sign of a mid-life crisis. This has made me pause and think...

then doing all sorts of out-of-character behaviour, not least chasing young girls (with my bad back - yeah sure...).

At 43 years old, I had just self-assessed that my Esprit ownership was due to now being able to afford such a nice car (and afford the maintenance bills too)

Iain,

I think this is merely a way for poeople to belittle good things. The Esprit is a thing of beauty. I wanted one from the moment I saw one over 20 years ago. If I'd bought one then would it have been a teenage crisis?

No, it's something I wanted to own and now I can, that's all there is to it.

Now if I'd bought a Boyracer car and started calling everyone 'DUDE', then that would be a midlife crisis!

Dave Everett

If you bought it because you love the car, then you're a car nut (as everyone calls me). If you bought it to look younger / cool and try and impress everyone, then you're having a mid life crisis.

For me, the crisis would be if I didn't own one.

Also, bought mine when I was 29.

Good question Iain. The pleasure I get in Esprit ownership most often happens with me, on my own, nobody else around, taking an early morning weekend drive with clear roads, accompanied by only loud music of choice. Other nice moments are opening garage door, and just doing the 'stare' - as in, Yes its mine, and I love it.

Saying that, all of the above is said coming from the man who had his 40th this year and got his first Tatoo - mid life crisis? what mid life crisis, as I keep telling the wife.

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Ian

The money/kids explanation seems highly likely

I find that for onlookers the appreciation of my car is inversely propotional with age, ie schoolkids love it whilst grey-hairs and menopausal women wearing shoulderpads just mutter. The exception to this seem to be younger blokes in people carriers who just seem so pissed off with their lives.

When I got mine and the truth leaked out (I didn't announce it as I couldn't be bothered with the reaction you are getting) one menopausal woman in my office said "What do you want one of THOSE for??" and I said "Because I can't afford two"

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

If you bought it because you love the car, then you're a car nut (as everyone calls me). If you bought it to look younger / cool and try and impress everyone, then you're having a mid life crisis.

For me, the crisis would be if I didn't own one.

I think that this statement says it all..............another way of looking at it is that you have made a mid life reassessment. During life we can get caught up in what we THINK is inportant, and go along with the norm of better this and that, you know the type of things - the latest kitchen, bathroom, new driveway etc. etc. The clever amonst us realise that life is precious and we should do what WE want and really makes us happy and so we buy toys, the Esprit being the best toy you can buy in our eyes. I say the people that get caught up in the "keeping up with the Jones" lack imagination and are ultimately unhappy - which is why they pass comment in the first place!

Phil

98GT3

I too have been accused of having a mid life crisis.

My mid life event started when i saw that magazine on the shelf in 1987 with the picture of the Stevens on the front and carried on 20 years until i fixed the crisis by buying the car. The only crisis about the whole thing was that I couldn't afford the car until now......

If a 'mid life' crisis is buying a sportscar then let it be called that!

:)

Whats the 'mid life crisis free' alternative?

Desperate normality, scattering slug pellets on the garden path while wearing

a brown V neck cardigan? Standing in the middle of town for an hour, munching

on toffee while listening to the christmas choir in the shopping arcade? Coughing

and grumbling away in the post office queue? Going to see panto? Joining a wine

club and spending the evenings reading books written by retired sportsmen? Half

mast trousers? Songs of praise with a box of dates?

I'll take the mid life crisis any day please,

What would be the point of life without it?

:)

I got my first Esprit at 26, second at 33.

Graham, you had your first Esprit when I was 13! :respect:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

I've been plagued with the same comments - especially when I finally bought a red one.

Esprits have been my dream for 30 years, but plenty of other things got in the way - especially three expensive daughters. What finally clinched it for me was a crisis in August this year, but not of the mid-life persuasion. My sister's husband - a builder, healthy, and apparently superfit - dropped dead with a massive heart attack. After all the mayhem had died down, spmething went ping in my head, and I realised I could keep promising I'll have an Esprit one day, or just go out and DO it. So I did it. If people want to give it a label, so be it. But I've got my dream car, and nothing they can say will diminish how I feel about it.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

If a 'mid life' crisis is buying a sportscar then let it be called that!

:P

Whats the 'mid life crisis free' alternative?

Desperate normality, scattering slug pellets on the garden path while wearing

a brown V neck cardigan? Standing in the middle of town for an hour, munching

on toffee while listening to the christmas choir in the shopping arcade? Coughing

and grumbling away in the post office queue? Going to see panto? Joining a wine

club and spending the evenings reading books written by retired sportsmen? Half

mast trousers? Songs of praise with a box of dates?

I'll take the mid life crisis any day please,

What would be the point of life without it?

:ninja:

Paul,

Excluding my Esprit, you have just described my weekend. Those slugs are pests though. :respect: We also spent yesterday afternoon watching "Shaun the Sheep" do you want to add that as well.

I have been and still are in a mid life crisis, I just booked mine early to get it out of the way.

Bought fast motor bike 3 years ago

Bought fast car 1 year ago

Dream of driving a fast hot 20 year lady old every night

I am lovin my crisis, who wants it to stop. :respect:

Edited by Alex --GT3--

I got the mid-life crisis jibes when I started to take flying lessons at 30. Fourteen years later I got my Esprit, so I made sure that I got in the mid-life crisis joke first and nobody has mentioned it since. In fact, most people at work have taken an interest in the car, asking me how it's running and what LEF has been up to (they were all following Project BigSi).

If I could have afforded to buy at age 17, I'd have had my crisis then. Unfortunately, it's taken until now for me to be able to afford to own and run one.

There was definitely a degree of re-assessment of my life following the death in quick succession of both of my parents. After a bout of depression, I realised that I needed to start living out some of my dreams and I now had the funds to do something about it. I didn't want to get to the end of my life with a long list of "if onlys", so I pursued one of my earliest dreams.

As it happens, it was probably the best thing I've ever done in my life. Sure, the car is great fun, I love to drive her, I love looking at her, and I love taking care of her when she's poorly, but much more than that is the great group of people I've met in the year since I took the plunge. The NMEG guys, all the people involved with BigSi's car, and lots of others too (many of whom I've yet to meet) have made this one of the most memorable and fun years of my life. Kudos in particular goes to Bibs for fostering such a vibrant and friendly community.

If it was a mid-life crisis, who cares? I'm now having fun with my car and my new mates, deal with it!

More speed, less haste

erm im 21 and bought my Esprit at the age of 20..... does that mean that im having a midlife crisis?

i show all the signs mentioned above.... i chase around "young" 20 year old girls, and try to reclaim my childhood.

And the difference is i didn't buy the car now because i can afford it now. i bought it now, but am just digging myself into debt to run it :respect:

Midlife crisis?