free hit
counters
One year of esprit ownership - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
arbell9

One year of esprit ownership

Hi one and all,

Its been a year and a week since I bought my beloved GT3 esprit and so I am taking this time to reflect back on what a wonderful year it has been and say thanks to all my new esprit loving friends who have made it special. Its true the Esprit is more than the sum of its parts and its

ownership is more than filling it with petrol. So here goes my Nov 06 to Nov 07 review (in brief, its a lot to remember)

October 26th (I think) - Joined LEF.

November 15th 2006, drove my esprit from Chris Neils. Well proud and chuffed I was, a tad nervous but excited none the less.

December 06, went to my first NMEG meet, a great bunch of Guys and Gals (Anita, Oneshots wife was there too) welcomed me into the esprit hooning fold with open arms. We did a Xmas toy run to a local hospital and even though the weather wasnt great, it was my time seeing how well the esprit handles and goes (both new and old ones, the cars that is)

PICT0841.jpg

PICT0831.jpg

February 2007 - Brands Hatch. This was my first big solo outing, I drove down to meet a truely great friend. The one and only Mr Bibs. That weekend there was a Lotus meet and Brands hatch and the Southern Lotus folk were going. So Keen to go to my first track meet I signed up on the thread and started to sort a hotel out. It was then that Bibs, kindly offered for me to stop over at his house (as its only about 15 min from the track). If you think about it, we had never met, he only realy new me by my posts and was generous to offer his hospitality to a fellow esprit owner. We had a lovely time a the track. I got to meet many new freiends there, Joanathan and James kept me company for much of the day and introduced me to man yof the esprit family. I got to meet Kimbers and Mr Kimbers Snr. Saw loads of great lotuses and realy began to relalise that esprit ownership is so much more than just having the car. The saturday evening at Bibs with Laura was great fun, lots of beer and pizza if I recall and fanatastic conversation until the early hours.

route.jpg

PICT0962.jpg

PICT0984.jpg

March 2007 - this was when I made my first change to the car. I bought a non-recirculating BOV from PMN and used the LEW guide to install.

April 2007 - BigSi Car Build. This was when I found out how the welsh contingent and other fellow LEFers like to work and play. I had a weekend down at Simon350's helping to do my little bit on BigSi's car build. I met Troy, Caroline, Roger, Punky, to name a few, Dodgy and Jonathan were there too, but a big thanks must go to Simon who has become a really good mate. His BBQs and parties are just the best.

PICT1065.jpg

PICT1082.jpg

PICT1093.jpg

May 2007 - Oxford meet. Got to meet even more fellow LEFers on a big hoon. The weather wasnt great but the event was. A big thumbs up to all.

DSC00024.jpg

May was also the time I got to meet BigSi and his family for the first timw when the LEF restoration squad stitched the Big Welsh guy up and gave him his car back in working order. That was a remarkable day and one which I will not forget. The generosity of so many and the hours put in by the Gang of top LEF mechanics is humbling. I was glad my two kids got see the handover event. Its was here at Castle combe where I got know to Roger and Sam a bit better. They were lovely company and Roger played with footy with my two showing them some dazzling footy skills. They still remember that Rog.

PICT1154.jpg

PICT1173.jpg

June 2007 - Supercar sunday. This time the esprit was out of action, wheel refurbishement if my memory serves me well. So SuperDaveLotus (Dave Walters) kindly offered me a lift in his spare seat. The weather was superb and we had a picnic and a lovley time. Got to meet Dave's fellow V8 modder Alan and other new faces. Seeing lots of car exotica in one place was a first for me. We did really well woth a huge esprit turnout. Totally put the porker boys to shame. So after 6 months I had met and got to know so many of the esprit community and enjoy their hospitality.

PICT1223.jpg

July 2007 - Think I went on holiday. However, I got my refurbished wheels back. I change my silver 5 spoke Oz wheels to an Anthracite/Gun Metal grey colour using a Podwercoater. Even today on our NMEG hoon we were remarking how dark wheels are the future.

I decide to go on another big southern hoon to join up with the South western LEFers at the South West Festival of Motoring. It rained cats and dogs for much of the day and we all had to learn to drive the esprit offroad, much to our consternation. I got to see my first Essex at this event, it was lovely. I met Ian and Bazza, Gary (and his missues, apologies I am terrible with names), Ade and Gina. Despite the weather we all had a good laugh.

PICT1247.jpg

PICT1249.jpg

I am sure we had another impromtu party night at simons and bonfire where me, Phil (got to know him well at this Party, a top Northerner) and Simon made it through until the daybreak. A brilliant night out but the memory is hazy on this one, cant think why!!! Oh and BigSi you are still a welsh Barsteward for banging that bin and singing in the morning to wake us all up!! But we love ya.

End of Part I....... (someone reply with a blank message so I can post Part II. Ta Alex

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

i was doing a Mr bean impression on the first one, honestly :respect::ninja:

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

Part II..........

August - NMEG hoon to Ironbridge + BBQ2 at Simon's 350. This was fabulous weekend apart from the car breaking down close to Simons. BUt between Simon ( an ace mechanic, I would have his babies if I could (note to Lisa, you are a lucky girl hang on to him)) , Dave, Calvin and Bibs (pointer in chief) we got my car fixed. It was a disconnected hose into the water pump and a knackered clutch slave cylinder. During this I got a nice new braded clutch hose fitted. The BBQ and bonfire the night beforewhere we boozed and partied hard until the early hours. The fence got torched at his BBQ if I recall. Naught Naughty Mr Bibs.

PICT1372.jpg

DSC00110.jpg

DSC00092.jpg

Sept 2007 was a double hoon month. Firstly it was the great Mr Pink (or locally known as Kimbers) 40th Birthday Bash down in farming country. This time the esprit was left at home and MatK gave me and Dodgy Dave a lift down. It was an great journey with me DJ'ing Mats IPOD. When we got close to Wymondsomewhereorother Mat put the roof down on his convertible Saab and we cruised the Cambridgeshire and Norfolk country side in style (cool car Mat). We met up with friends at the Hotel and Party. Met many new friends here too, Yasuo, Peter ( with the lovely dark blue V8) and the AEG boys. We partyed through the night at Kimbers Bash (good party there mate, thumbsup to you and your family) and then back at the hotel for late night drinkie poos. apologies for the picture quality, some were taken on my phone.

DSC00119.jpg

DSC00128.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

DSC00144.jpg

On the sun, Me, Mat, Dave, Bibs and Laura headed off to Lowestoft to the seaside for some fun. Sunshine, a walk on the beach, Ice Cream, playing in the arcade and Fish and Chips to round it off. A brillliant way to ease away a hangover.

PICT1404.jpg

PICT1414.jpg

PICT1424.jpg

My second big hoon in September was my return to Norfolk to vist the 40th Year celebration at the Lotus Factory. I got my car on show and was able to have two parade seesions on the track. I had a fab weekend drinking with my LEF pals and getting high on Lotus fumes at the factory. This time I was even able to meet some of international LEFers, Jukka and Cissi (a lovely couple and a completely baffled by our quaint british customs). Paul C and Vicki, great to meet you properly for the first time. Simon350 you bad party dude, giving it large for the golfing ladies. Everyone drunk at the end of the night. What fun you can have if you own a lotus!!

PICT1443.jpg

PICT1456.jpg

October 2007 - This brings me to my last Hoon of my first 12 months owning an Esprit. Foolowing a late call for help, I headed south to Mr Bibs late on a friday evening to prepare to take part in the London International Classic Car Show at Alexandra Palace. Again Bibs and Laura my hearty thanks goes to your hospitality over the weekend. Me and Dave (Oneshot) showed our cars at the show and along with Martyns, Pauls, Vickies, Anitas, Lauras and Bibs help we did the Marqu proud showing the cars and discussing the history and heritage of the wonderful esprit to the genreal public. We all had a fun time doing it and learned much about how to show cars properly from discussion with the other stands. Sat night was a cool night out having a chinese and then plenty of Antifreeze drink back at Bibs house. Somehow I manged to only sleep about 6 hours that weekend but wouldnt have missed it for anything. Unfortunately on the way back , my car was rear ended and a thanks again to Dave and Anita for turning round and coming back to help me and travel back with me. Its fixed now and I have a nice sporty twin exhaust on my GT3 which I am really pleased with.

DSC00151.jpg

DSC00156.jpg

DSC00160.jpg

And so there you have it, a few piccies and words of what has been quite a remarkable year for me. I have a fabulous car and a fabulous set of new friends. To many to write individual thanks to but this is my little way of saying it

Thanks LEF - with an Esprit you are never alone.

I just love seeing so many Esprits all together. What a great bunch you all are. Makes me want to figure out a way to travel across the water and join up for a meet. I'll have to plan that some year. In the meantime, we're growing our own group, here on the prairies.

Thanks for the write up and narative. You're a good story teller and I was reliving the hoons I was on while reading this with a big grin on my face! See you soon mate!

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

I see you've skirted around the enormous error made by removing the wing.

Never mind, I'm sure we'll be able to get it mended soon.

Good to have you on board El Presidente.

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

i have got to say alex its been a pleasure to meet you, we have spoken many times about many things, even had advice of you about some of my more crappy medication.

everytime i have been to a meet or event you have always gone out of your way as well as many others to make sure im ok and im grateful for that.

im looking forward to seeing you and the other guys at the next event or hoon.

if i dont see you before hand, have a very good xmas and new year.

ps: cammy sends his hugs!

Its been good Alex, you came and joined NMEG with great gusto and became our first presidentand instgator of our convoy driving etticet, which now means judging by your efforts above you get to write the NMEG review of the year

( pm me please I already have an out line)

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

All our love,

Rog (i can still do a job for England), Sam and Daisy.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

It's been a pleasure having you Alex and I'm proud to be able to call you a good friend :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Alex, You're a good story teller. and I have a big grin on my face when reading this, and Sissi also smiles. :lol:

We hope to see you, may be next summer or later.

Warm memory from september

not seen that pic before ...please explain

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

Do you really want to know Howard... some things are just left unspoken about :shock:

I could ask the same question about your avatar Laura ... but I will remain in the dark for now

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

Hi Alex

Nice to see your year in pictures.

Thanks for the info re buying the GT3 ... great help

Many happy returns :shock:

Alex yer bastard! I was planning a similar review of my first year for next month. Now I'll just look like a copycat!

I think both of our first years are pretty similar. Obviously we've shared some of the highpoints together. We've both enjoyed driving our cars, we've both endured a trying period of separation (mine pothole inflicted, yours from a shunt) and the joy of the reunion, but most of all we've met some really great people and made some good friends (yourself included of course).

What my Esprit means to me can be summed up like this: before getting it, I'd NEVER have driven over 200 miles for a drunken night out, now it just seems normal. Getting there is fun, and the drinking buddies guarantee a brilliant time.

This year has been huge fun for both of us and it'll be a hard act to follow, but boy am I going to enjoy trying! I'm sure you'll be there to help me out.

By way of an anniversary present, here's a pic for your album (I'll PM you the full size one):

IMG_0550.jpg

Phil

More speed, less haste