free hit
counters
Overgrown 1980 Elite project? - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
yamaha_rd500v4

Overgrown 1980 Elite project?

Locally to me there is an Elite overgrown in someones driveway in a very quiet cul-de-sac, I've known it to be there for probably ten years and hasn't moved.

Out of curiosity I took a closer look at it today as had wondered about the possibility of the 907 engine for my s1 Esprit. There was no-one in but it turns out it is a 1980 registered series 2 model with 2.2 litre 912, the tax disc on the screen expired September 1992, doesn't look in bad condition and hasn't been messed with from what I could tell without poking around it on someone elses property. It has been blocked in by a hedge that has grown up in front of it but it is sat on concrete

I have an inkling in the back of my mind about enquiring about it as a future project to store away for a rainy day (as if I haven't enough to do with my esprit)

Does the s2 Elite have a galvanised chassis? Is it likely to be a complete waste of time and money having stood so long? I have dragged landrovers out of fields that havent been used for 15 odd years and got them on the road again but obviously lotus's are a different matter.

I might get a couple of photos on my phone next time I'm passing.

thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you have an S1, and the mechanical knowledge to sort a 15yr relic

then i'm figuring you are well armed enough to take it on mate.

:respect:

You are doing it for a project and something to do though i assume?

As these cars don't go for that much in nice condition, but worse case

is you end up with some spares for the Esprit.

Nooo! Don't canabalise it. S2.2 Elites are rare and beautiful things. Restore it to it former glory.

I'm fairly sure they had galvanized chassis. Kimbers will know or, if he doesn't, he knows a man who does. :lol:

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE