free hit
counters
Octane Magazine - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Blanchard

Octane Magazine

The Esprit is to be featured in the next Octane Magazine, from the S1 to the 02. They'll also discuss the S1's investment potention - "Why now is the time to buy an S1."

It's been a long time coming. I asked the Editor if the Esprit could be featured last year and also this Summer, at the Festival of Speed. He said "if we put a Lotus on the front cover, no one will buy the magazine," which I found rather derogatory. However, he's obviously seen sense.

It's good to know the Esprit is being taken more seriously as a future investment, by the upper end of the Classic car mags.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I always wondered why Lotus never got the respect I think it should get....to me it should be up there with Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati etc. It's almost like it's the Rodney Dangerfield of Supercars (I get no respect).

It's possible that Lotus's perception comes from the days it made a kit car, but the Lotus of that era doesn't have anything in common with today's Lotus.

Until we get a jaw dropping ultracar and the marketing and tie-ins (e.g. the Pretty Woman movie), there won't be any chance of turing this perception around with the general public. I want the general public to know about Lotus, not "for the few who know the difference" (from an SE ad in the early 90s).

-Chandra

91SE

The problem is the kit car connection most 'civilians' who THINK they know about cars make. Only tonight I've posted on my local forums this response to the usual acronym!

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Nice work Mark, I'll look forward to reading that :shock:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I'd say recognition and respect seem to depend on the circle you are in these days... I have been quickly recognized and even upstaged a friends Ferrari 360 a couple times at the local cruise in and car shows. In every "upstage' case the people were so impressed and stressed that they never thought to see and Esprit due to Esprit rarity. After all, compared to Ferraris, the Esprit is down right limited production.

In general, all the above "no respect" is true when talking about the media in general. Marketing is to blame and Lotus has really fallen in that category... hard. I feel safe in saying that Grand Tourismo and other games like it are bringing some level of respect to the car, as young kids seem to know the car while parents that bring the kids out to the shows do not.

Except of course, for the few that know the difference. I did recently hear a girl about 16-17ish, at a car show I attendended, tell her Porsche driving father upon walking up to ,my Esprit - "Oh yes, substitue found". When her father said "I don't think so"... she stated "You are right, it is just much better in genral".

Made me smile. Where was she when I was available????

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

I always remember the Headline in the Classic and Sportscar Article Paul was featured in with his Essex vs. and 308 QV................A HOT WIND FROM HETHEL BLOWS MARANELLO ...............Paul was so disappointed in the 308 whcih he had for the day..............

I asked the Editor if the Esprit could be featured last year and also this Summer, at the Festival of Speed. He said "if we put a Lotus on the front cover, no one will buy the magazine,"

:shock: That's a shockingly biased statement from someone who should know better. We should write a mass letter demanding an explanation. If that WERE the case why have S1s (usually Scotts yellow or Ken Bairds white examples) been beaming back at us from countless "cut-price supercar" type articles from the rest of the classic press over the last few years??

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

It's been a litle busy here @ Horsley of late.......

I did a photo shoot for Car magazine on Saturday with my car, so expect some three page feature in Car Magazine soon - they do a three page feature called Car classics.

As to Octane, I contacted Robert Coucher a month ago or so and suggested that as we have a "new" S1 here, they should do a feature on the car. They decided to use this one and left it to me to source a late V8 - had to be Silver. In the end we have gone for a Sport 350, and both cars are being transported to a studio tomorrow for some really great photography in the traditional Octane Way. The feature will tell the story of the Esprit, ties in with the fact that we are 60 next year - and let's remind ourselves, the Esprit story is far from over.................

It's front cover and 5-6 pages I believe - out 26th December.

Back to polishing a Sport 350 and an S1...........

Cheers all,

Scott @ Bell & Colvill.

I contacted Robert Coucher a month ago or so and suggested that as we have a "new" S1 here, they should do a feature on the car.

Robert Coucher's the chap. At the Revival a few years ago he asked me what classic car I had. I said I've got an Esprit Turbo. He responded, "oh well, we can't all have the car of our dreams." He doesn't like the Esprit, thinks they're to down market, so I'm very surprised Octane's featuring the car.

Crikey!

The Esprit has been my dream car for thirty years - so much so that I'm thinking of outing my recently acquired 2-eleven to fund a full resto on my Yellow one.

The article wil be written by Mark Dixon, a respected journo and an ex. Esprit Turbo owner himself - so I'm sure as sure it'll be accurate and pro the car. I think this will be good exposure for our favourite car, and I for one would like to see some positive dedication to this seminal machine in a magazine such as Octane. I think the car deserves it's place.

Should look good and be a good read.

Scott.

Been there, done that....still someone had to pave the way. Mark Dixon was at the shoot, really nice guy and likes the Esprit. He had a G Turbo for a while but also other things Lotus. Looking forward to the article as I was seriously impressed with the photography and the nice un-bias format of my article.

Cover.jpg

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

^^^ Pete, that was a great article! Only copy of Octane I ever bought! (I usually just put it back.) The only thing I questioned was why they included the Bora in the comparison and not the Merak; Merak is the more logical competitor to the 308, Esprit, Uracco. Of course the Bora won!

Regarding the comments about putting an Esprit on the cover -- Scott -- that article in T&CC that featured your car was great . . . . imagine my disappointment when I went to pick up the magazine at my local bookseller and the U.S. version had that blue Ferrari on the cover instead of your car. :evil:

Mark -- "why now is the time to buy an S1" -- wait -- tell them to hold the presses! I want to buy one more while they are still affordable . . . :shock:

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Bantering aside, I have owner a Ferrari 308 and an Esprit... at the same time. There is just no contest for me. I would like to have a 308 in the stable again at some point, but I would never choose it over an Esprit. I sold the 308 to a friend... who now has it for sale as he has driven my Esprit and will start looking for one right after he sells the Ferrari. At the time, I needed some extra capital to funnell into the business, so I sold it to a good home.

Anyone want a 308 to park next to their Esprit?

Cameron

post-3694-1196268463.jpg

Edited by Autocross7

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

I had a quick flick through Octane at the Classic Car Show recently. Inside they were raving about the original Elite. There was also an article by a famous American talk show host - J Leto? with a large collection of cars. He just bought an original Elan and was salivating about it!. I'm sure there was also something about the Lotus 7 too. What sruck me was three highly praising articles about LOTUS CARS in one edition. Says everything about the marque. They love Lotus more than they realise!

LOTUS RULES!!!

BC

Do you mean Jay Leno? He has one of the most amazing car collections ever. A true 'car guy', he has everything from steam powered cars to the latest and greatest italian exotica.

Sorry - Jay Leno! Should have taken ithe mag home for reference! His article was all about the Elan. If I remember correctly Gordon Murray recommended it to him saying it was the best car he'd ever driven!

BC

If I remember correctly Gordon Murray recommended it to him saying it was the best car he'd ever driven!

BC

Gordon Murray loves the Elan. He's always on about it in Evo.

I had a quick flick through Octane at the Classic Car Show recently. Inside they were raving about the original Elite. There was also an article by a famous American talk show host - J Leto? with a large collection of cars. He just bought an original Elan and was salivating about it!. I'm sure there was also something about the Lotus 7 too. What sruck me was three highly praising articles about LOTUS CARS in one edition. Says everything about the marque. They love Lotus more than they realise!

LOTUS RULES!!!

BC

I read that Octane too. It seems they are coming around to Lotus.

Lotus's problem is that the British press just love to do down British success stories. Unfortunately, the rest of the world read what they say and fail to realise this. They are left thinking "if the Brits can't say a good word for their own product it can't be much good".

The quality of journalism, particularly in the last 10 years, has sharply declined to the point where no-one seems to research their own writing or check their "facts", but just regurgitate tired and inaccurate cliches such as "load of trouble...". Considering how easy it would be to get in touch with owners and find out what life with a Lotus is really like, they deserve to be slapped around the head with a wet fish. :devil:

More speed, less haste

The Esprit is to be featured in the next Octane Magazine, from the S1 to the 02. They'll also discuss the S1's investment potention - "Why now is the time to buy an S1."

It's been a long time coming. I asked the Editor if the Esprit could be featured last year and also this Summer, at the Festival of Speed. He said "if we put a Lotus on the front cover, no one will buy the magazine," which I found rather derogatory. However, he's obviously seen sense.

It's good to know the Esprit is being taken more seriously as a future investment, by the upper end of the Classic car mags.

Mark,

I just picked up the current Octane (the one with Leno and the Elan, as discussed in this thread), and there is no mention in the "next month" page about Lotus. Did I miss something, or am I an issue behind or ???

- T

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Tony

Page 10 features an ad for the next edition.

"Next Month - Esprit, from first to last - and why now is the time to buy an early one"

Issue 56 on sale December 26th. Earlier to subscribers. If it's not in the US, give me a shout in January and I'll fling a UK one over to you. In the meantime get yourself a Yellow S1, and an Orange S1, and a.............

Photo shoot went well - 500 images, studies on 2 cars. They look stunning.

Can't wait for the article.

Cheers,

Scott.

hey mark

kan jou buy one and post it to me please

gr Rens

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing