free hit
counters
Any Old Time Vinyl Owners? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Any Old Time Vinyl Owners?

matk

I bought a USB record deck earlier this year to transfer all my albums into digital music which then went onto iTunes. When I moved to London, I loaned it to Graham (Backmarker) who has just finished transfering his records.

The USB deck plugs straight into a USB port on a laptop or computer. No speakers or Hi Fi connections are required. When you play vinyl records, the music is digitally extracted onto the hard drive using software that comes with it. It's really simple to use and comes with full instructions.

Anyway, the point is I don't need it at present, and haven't got the room to store it, so I thought I'd offer it to you lot. Here's the deal, if you're interested post below. First name gets sent the deck from Graham. When you're finished simply post it onto the next person.

Rules

1. At present it is fully boxed with all original packaging, software, instructions and cables. You must keep all packaging and send it on to the next guy in the same condition you receive it.

2. Look after the needle. If you damage it please replace it for the next guy.

3. You must be prepared for a postage cost of approx

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now there was me jumping on this thread to go on about a 1972 Morris Marina TC (TwinCarbs) Automatic 4Dr my Dad bought new. Metallic Purple, Purple vinyl roof, Purple carpets, Orange (like proper bright orange) vinyl seats.

I think the car industry must have been going through its Elizabethan fashion 'ruffle neck' collar phase.

MGB engine, 84 BHP...

Jeff

Hi,

Another way is to buy one of these:

Pre amp connector

If you have seperates for a hi-fi system then you just plug your deck into this, then connect it to your sound card line input. I've had one for ages to record my vinyl LP's. You use your computer sound card software to adjust the recording level.

Good device that works and is cheap.

Owen.

One of the great things that my wife brought to the household when we married was a USB turntable. I've been transferring all of my father's old Croatian records to CD.

The software I'm using is from Audacity. It has a feature for removing the noise (the amount of which can be adjusted), but I've found that as much as the noise is removed, the clarity of the sound is also reduced, making it sound like a low-bitrate mp3 (e.g., cymbals end in a twisted muted noise rather than simmer out delicately).

So at this point, I am electing to not use the noise removal feature, and accept the little pops and crackles.

Does anyone on here use Audacity, have you had better results, do you know what are/how to use some of the other features, or can you recommend a better (free or inexpensive) software?

Thanks,

Tony

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

I do have audacity and have used it (although not the noise reduction feature).

I actually use Wave Corrector (http://www.wavecor.co.uk) which does a very fine job of removing the crackles and also track detection. It is not free but I think well worth the $59 (

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

The system that Matk is offering up uses Audacity. Like Oneshot though, I elected not to use the noise reduction software.

I don't mind the odd scratch, crackle and pop...............sounds just like breakfast :devil:

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

• 1 month later...

Yayyyyy i scored major brownie points with my Dad :P

Gave him a copy of "Bunk Dogger - First Offence" today, he was over the moon :( it might have been a mistake though...lol he is looking through his LP collection (thankfully a small one) trying to find others that we can't get on CD...lol

And thanks guys for the input regarding the noise, i have left it as it is...lol its like listening to the LP all over again....ahhhh happy days :(

Since receiving the turntable it had to stay in the box cos it was christmas and there was no way i was going to set it up and get all the LP/singles sorted out (there would have been no christmas dinner lol)

Lol it came out the box yesterday, and i have to remember i have kids to feed lol

need more writable cd's :(

purza

I've seriously considered the computer storage option....but it would take me several years to play through all the vinyl!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Resurrection of an old thread! This is now on its way to Ian May in the next couple of weeks. Anyone else who'd like to use it please post here and we'll arrange to forward it on after Ian has finished with it.

Regards

Mat

I guess I'm a bit far away, but I actually have the hardware, I've done all my old cassettes they are now on CD. What I would be interested in is the software, not just the noise reduction, but cataloguing amalgamating files, and doing compilations.

To think I've done all my old VHS tapes, done the cassettes, do the vinyl next, then the 35mm slides, then 35mm cine.

I'm depressed now. :o

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I've about 100 or so LPs but I have one of those old fashioned things called a record deck !! You put your LP on it, it connects to your stereo and it has these odd things called speakers in my living room. Fantastic invention, I dont have to walk around with stupid things stuck in my ears either.

Right then, said Fred.

Yeah I can just picture the passenger seat of your Noble now! Record deck perched on the passenger seat and a careful vibration free driving style producing fantastic sound quality. Who needs modern equipment or digital music................................

Add to that at home you have to get up every 20 mins or so and change sides, so you get exercise too. You're on a right winner there! Even get to replace your vinyl every so often when the scratches get too much, so you can support the much under pressure music retail business!

Think I'll throw away my iPod right now........................................

Regards

Mat

Yeah I can just picture the passenger seat of your Noble now! Record deck perched on the passenger seat and a careful vibration free driving style producing fantastic sound quality. Who needs modern equipment or digital music................................

The thing is my car has an engine, which I can hear, and then there is wind noise, and road noise, and traffic noise.... You don't get fantastic sound quality in a car.

If you copy an LP to MP3 format you don't have digital music do you ? You still have an analogue recording, you have just changed the format. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people who spout on about how digital can never be better than analogue. But if I want to listen to an LP in the car I just buy the CD version.

Right then, said Fred.

I'm glad you've got the money to buy CDs for the car duplicating your LPs. Personally speaking, with a 500 LP collection, it's not affordable.

There are loads of people who really just want to access their previously bought vinyl using modern equipment without having to splash out on replacement CDs. They prob don't care what its called as long as they can access it. Ref Purzas comment prev about her Dad? This thread is to try and help them. I'm glad you have no need of it.

Regards

Mat