free hit
counters
Couple of noob questions - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
davegtst

Couple of noob questions

Please forgive me i'm still learning about them. :shock:

1. Where should the oil temp gauge needle usually sit while driving?

2. Where should the oil pressure gauge needle usually sit while driving?

3. Where should the water temp gauge needle sit while driving?

4. Should the fans come on when i turn the ignition on?

Thanks Dave

Edited by davegtst

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

1. Between 80 & 100. 80 when driving, 100 in traffic.

2. Around the middle, about 4 on the gauge but it can drop very low at tickover.

3. Mine sits dead on 80.

4. Only if the A/C is on. The fans come on for that if it's on and your under 30mph.

:shock:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks Bibs, my oil temp stays around 60-70 and oil pressure seems fine. Also the water temp sit exactly on 80 too. Maybe i have a problem with the fans as they are on without the a/c on. My oil temp also takes quite a long time to heat up, does anyone recomend an oil thermostat?

hello everyone.

my oil temp usually reads 60, up to 80 in traffic.

water temp sits at a steady 80

oil pressure - is always above the middle mark when driving / drops on tickover

my fuel guage moves up and down when driving is this the norm?

the charge cooler is cool to the touch

all the best

It's Oogies turn to boogie

The bouncy needle is a, errr, 'feature' of the car! :shock:

Go around a right hand corner and speed and you can fill your tanks up in seconds, it's amazing :evil:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Maybe i have a problem with the fans as they are on without the a/c on. My oil temp also takes quite a long time to heat up, does anyone recomend an oil thermostat?

Oil will take a while to heat up in this sort of weather I shouldn't worry too much. What I would be careful of however is to leave the car running for a few minutes before turning it off, this will give the turbo time to spin down and cool otherwise it is possible you might starve the bearings of oil with rather unpleasant results :shock: . My fuel gauge is crazy too as mentioned its just a feature of the car....

Martyn :evil:

Don't worry Martyn i always let it warm up and cool down. The only time my fuel gauge seems to work correctly is when it is completly still and level.

Thought of another question.

How many miles do you get out of a tank of petrol (average)? and is 95 ok to use?

Your ECU is adaptive and can take advantage of higher octane fuel and retard the ignition without worry of knock. Get to Tesco and get some 99 RON in there, you'll love it :shock:

Erm, I've got between 140 miles and something more than that from a tank, don't usually pay any attention as I'm having too much fun :evil:

Evora NA

Thats not much, i've already got 250 miles from a full tank. I would tell you how much is left but the gauge is so inaccurate i really don't know.

That's not really a fuel guage, it's a G-force meter. Take a left hand bend hard and see if you can hit zero, hit a right hand bend and its off the other end of the scale. Only once you're stopped at lights does it revert to its fuel gauge role.

From first getting the fuel warning light come on, I've driven over 100 miles before filling up. I find it adds to the fun of driving down motorways. Sometimes when it's been pinned on zero for a few miles I find myself praying for a right hand bend. If the needle doesn't shift then, I start praying for some services!

I get about 200 miles from a tank on motorway runs before I chicken out, much less around town, but I try to keep it topped up to reduce the chance of corrosion.

Phil

More speed, less haste

just got back from 1000 mile trip

on USA interstate steady driving at 75-80 mph, I got to 300 miles twice before refueling (no low fuel light, made

a mental note to check if there is one, but forgot)

each time I filled tank until pump automatically shutoff, let settle for 90 sec, then pumped slow until auot-shutoff

to ensure full tanks

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

Just to elaborate on your fuel gauge question, if your gauge violently pegs the full mark to the point it can be heard pegging, then that IS NOT normal. If it just moves around a lot then that is considered normal.

A violently pegging gauge is a problem with the fuel sender itself, and it will need to be removed, cleaned with electrical cleaner along the areas where it measures resistance, and reinstalled. I talk from experience on this one with my late 93.