free hit
counters
Polyurethane bushes fro the front - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Winter

Polyurethane bushes fro the front

It looks like I am in for a major rebuild of the front and rear that will comprise new dampers and springs plus discs.

So, with that dangerous while-I'm-at-it, I am considering upgrading the front Brembo brakes to PNM monster 6's and the rears upgraded similarly - unless anyone knows of less-than-house-price AP's. I intend to fit ployurethane bushes all-round; I know that Lotus do a set for the rear, do they do a set for the front yet?

Many thanks.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

One thing I'd suggest not doing, is replacing the anti-roll bar mounting bushes with poly ones. Irelaced mine, instead of a more sure-footed ride, mines bump steering very badly, depsite full geometry check etc.

I mentioned this in pasing to Mark at Lotusbits, apparently the rally car had issues when they replaced the mountings with poly as well , it "behaved strangely".

So, by all means to the fronts with poly, but beware of the ARB mountings.

Andy

BTW the front bushes on the leg of the bottom wishbone are the same as those in the rear tie-rods, so they must be available. Don't know about the main ones though.

Andy

One thing I'd suggest not doing, is replacing the anti-roll bar mounting bushes with poly ones. Irelaced mine, instead of a more sure-footed ride, mines bump steering very badly, depsite full geometry check etc.

I mentioned this in pasing to Mark at Lotusbits, apparently the rally car had issues when they replaced the mountings with poly as well , it "behaved strangely".

So, by all means to the fronts with poly, but beware of the ARB mountings.

Andy

BTW the front bushes on the leg of the bottom wishbone are the same as those in the rear tie-rods, so they must be available. Don't know about the main ones though.

Andy

Thanks Andy.

I note you have a Europa Special: snap! I have number 63 of the 100 JPS versions that were built to celebrate Lotus' 50th Grand prix win. I have been rebuilding it since I crashed it in 1984 and bought the wreck.

New sub-frame aka chassis - there is an important reason to distinguish between the two: it is the body that is actually numbered. A new chassis can be interpreted by DVLA as requiring a Q plate. All-new suspension. Rebuilt engine block and gearbox. Head ready to assemble and interior with original oatmeal leathercloth and carpets to go. One day, one day . . .

Have you had the seized upper-wishbone pins in your Europa and similar door pins? Looks like the former on the Esprit plus the lower pins as well. Hack-saw blades at the ready to chop the pins into pieces and so allow removal of components in between - and lots of coppaslip for reassembly.

Best wishes.

Europa door pins. I hate them!

I ended up buying a power saw (sawzel ? type thing), only took a couple of mins then, unlike the days I had spent trying to undo them.

Mine needs a new sub-frame, the front plat that the steering rack attaches to had rotted, i didn't spot it when I bought the car, nor did the MOT guy. he just spotted the play in the rack, so i tried to remove it, found the captive nuts were turning, then found i could get to them, very easily, just pull the rack off the sub-frame.

So, new sub-frame sitting waiting for me to remove the body, then transfer the running gear onto it, have the gearbox rebuilt (play in upper suspension= gearbox bearings), and re-spray it yellow. So that's about 10 years worth at the curent rate. I've had the interior done, in a dark green leather, the sort of shde you initially think is blank when walking past the car, and can only tell from the crash pad of the dash until you get inside the car.

Mine's not a JPS one, it is a Special though, but unfortunately a 4 speed box.

Andy

Guys,

repalcing the anti roll bar bushes with stiffer ones (poly) will have the effect of stiffening the anti roll bar slightly. This will just effect weight transfer/ body roll at the front. probable result being less understeer/more oversteer.

Bump steer is caused by the front suspention geometry being 'not ideal' The steering arm pivot on the front hub needs to be aligned correctly with the suspension pivot points.

The most likely cause of bump steer is if you have lowered the car too much or your suspension has sagged like mine had.

I have new lotus suspension with correct ride height and geometry and poly bushed all round and the car is transformed !!

cheers Andy

Lotus are producing Approved poly bushes for the front of the Esprit 85 onwards to the very last V8's, should be out before too long, and these along with the lotus developed rear bushes and suspension and you should have one very sweet Esprit....

One thing on the bump steer front..... if you drop the Esprit by too much you apparently do start introducing a fair bit, and as yours is VERY low Andy that may well be the case.....

I'm looking to have mine equally low with the V8 Mag wheels and am already accepting the fact that the handling will be less than perfect, but with the obvious trade off in the way of looks. Couple that with the fact that I'll never have my car at full chatt on a race circuit and I'm not really all that bothered.....

Oh and regarding the AP brakes..... check with Lotus themselves, I've heard a rumour they have sold all the Blue S350 calipers, but there may well still the some black ones left.....

Simon

Chunky Lover