free hit
counters
All four headlamps illuminated - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

• Gold FFM

I seem to recall that it is possible to change one of the relays so that dipped beams are not extinguished when mains are switched on.

Is this so and, if so, is it a straightforward and beneficial swap or is there something I have overlooked such as overloaded cabling, illegality of lighting or the like?

Many thanks.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gentlemen (ahem), there are other solutions...

I just checked. My evil twin must have entered the numbers all wrong. The idiot. It is a 68028BL. Now I must find my evil twin brother and slay him. 

I bought the 4 headlamp relay for my previous Esprit (1998) but wrote the car off on black ice before I had a chance to fit it. My 2001 came fully illuminated and no I've never had any issues MOT-wise

Hi Edward,

You need a relay with a double throw. It should have a fifth pin with 87b on it.

Take you old relay out, plug new one in and your away. Not sure about legality but I have heard the very late V8 had all four headlights lit anyway, so you should be fine.

If you struggle to find where to get them from, pm and I'll give you a link.

Dave Walters

If you have all 4 lamps on i would imagine you would be loading some part of the wiring with twice the current???

I dont have a wiring diagram to hand but if its not designed to run with 4 lamps on, it may be worth checking that the cable will take long term load at twice the current?

I got mine from a Motor Factors type shop. He gave me the catalogue, I matched my existing relay then found the equivalent double pole one. Ordered and got it within a few days.

I think SJ keep them in stock if you want to cut to the chase.

Regardless legality, I think it was some EU regulation introduced in the mid nineties that you couldn't have four main beams on a car (that's why Lotus changed the relay to kill off the outer main beams). But it didn't affect the US cars - they remained four main beams. But as far I know, that EU regulation only applies to the car as sold from new. You could swap back to the four beam mains afterwards without problems. Car's never been stopped or failed the MOT with four mains beams. It's such an obsure regulation that I doubt anyone in the police or at the MOT know about it (there's aren't exactly many cars with four headlights!)

If you have all 4 lamps on i would imagine you would be loading some part of the wiring with twice the current???

I dont have a wiring diagram to hand but if its not designed to run with 4 lamps on, it may be worth checking that the cable will take long term load at twice the current?

No the wiring's designed to run with four lights and they didn't change the harness. All they did was to change the relay so that when activated it would only trigger one pole of the circuit (for the inners), not both (for the inners and outers) which they had done previously.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Interesting reply, I am starting to question where I got the info now.

Must have been very late, my 02 needed a replacement relay:-)

Regards

Fred

Hi all,

PNM sell them along with Demon Tweeks (Well at least they used to).

Also your local motor factor will do them the cheapest, just ask for a 5 pin relay with 87b andyou'll get the right one.

I also do them on my site www.espritperformance.com

Regards,

Dave walters

I've installed the 4 light high beam relay purchased from Dave Walters. I'm happy with the results. I've kept the old relay just in case there are problems at MOT time.

Intrestingly a friend of mine with a 1990 NA also has all 4 lights on when at full beam. He said he didn't do the upgrade. maybe the previous owner had, or it came as standard from Lotus in 1990.

Regards,

Peter.

Well mine is a very very early 02 (as in #1) and it has 4 headlights.

No comment ever from the controle technique (MOT) testing.

I'm sure that all the 02 models I looked at before buying had 4 - after all, I was checking ALL the electrics.

FWIW both my US S4s and V8 have all 4 on when high beam is selected, and I understand all the US spec cars came like this.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

My old 88 NA and 89 SE both have all 4 lights on on full-beam, I've not done anything but it could have been a mod by the PO.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 2 years later...

My 88 Turno has all 4, not sure if PO did it.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

My S4 has 4 headlight conversion, no problem at MOT test yesterday, only needed small adjustment to height of 1 beam, tester did it FOC without me asking!! but he did ask if I should have 4 tail lights??

I have late V8 round tail lights fitted, He gave me a pass certificate, I said thankyou, see you next year!!!

Dont worry,be happy.............

not sure about that's available on all 918 engine Esprits -but in fact everyone with the *changed* fuel-pump wiring should actually have the right relay available within the car:

both 'revised' brown Siemens relays in the rear station are good for high amps, and only one actually needs to be a 'twin contact type' -so basically you can swap the 'high amp' single type beam relay in the front relay box for one of the brown relays in the rear -watch out on the fitted place, there really is only on one of the places (think it was the one for *ignition service?! -could be wrong..) a double contact in the wiring.

All in all - think none needs 'to buy' one of the relays detective.gifgetmecoat.gif

sorry Dave unworthy.gifrolleyes.gif

Edited by Günter

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

'95 S4 in Australia, but the car was initially a Malaysian car. Only has 2 lit at any time. I've been meaning to buy the relay and plug it in, just haven't got around to it. Don't drive the car that much at night anyway.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

• 8 months later...

I just stuck the relay in today. Could have got a 30A one as all the relays are marked 30A in my car, but I thought for another $2 I got 40A and this relay is effectively now running two sets of lights which it did not do before, so 40A it is.

The make and part number of the relay I used if anyone is interested is a NARVA 62028BL. $13. Cheap :)

Edited by ramjet

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

• 5 years later...

I just checked as well and got green LEDs as well. Weird.

I will go check the relay and let you know. I must have made a typo.

I just checked. My evil twin must have entered the numbers all wrong. The idiot.

It is a 68028BL.

Now I must find my evil twin brother and slay him. :horse:

• Like 1

I bought the 4 headlamp relay for my previous Esprit (1998) but wrote the car off on black ice before I had a chance to fit it. My 2001 came fully illuminated and no I've never had any issues MOT-wise. 

I still have it, unused. But the numbers are different to what's quoted above although it does say '12v 2x15A. Happy to send it on if you want it. PM me your address.

• Like 1

Gentlemen (ahem), there are other solutions...

Image result for huge automobile headlights

• Like 2

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• Gold FFM

Well 'tis nearly xmas. Just needs a fairy on the roof vent.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!