free hit
counters
HELP - Door glass - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

HELP - Door glass

Has anybody replaced the door drop glass? (B082U5782F/B082U5795F)

Has anybody done a guide?

The only way I can see it is that you have to remove it complete with the door frame.

(G082U5783F/G082U5784F)

If I have to do this, what should I look out for.

Ive got visions of the door not shutting/sealing correctly afterwards.

Mick

GT3 1999

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mick

I know its just the top door glass seals you are trying to remove but I have no idea if the glass has to come out. Steve "Unity" did a guide but it's not obvious from that either

http://www.unity1.co.uk/Lotus/index.html

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I've just checked my manual (I think it applies to GT3s as well) The first instruction is to remove the frame. The instructions for changing the glass take a full page, and the instructions for removing and replacing the frame take another 2 1/2 pages, so it's not a trivial job. I've heard that aligning the door frame can be a pain in the butt to get right.

Tools wise, the glass is held in place with Solbit thermo-electric sealer, for which you'll need a 3v, 10-12A variable transformer, both to remove the old and put in the new. Other than that, it looks like there's no special tools needed.

I think if you're up for it, you really need the manual to guide you through.

More speed, less haste

I've just checked my manual (I think it applies to GT3s as well) The first instruction is to remove the frame. The instructions for changing the glass take a full page, and the instructions for removing and replacing the frame take another 2 1/2 pages, so it's not a trivial job. I've heard that aligning the door frame can be a pain in the butt to get right.

Just simple question, what instruction manual? where to get it? i thinked that exist only technical manual.

http://www.lotus-club.cz

lccz_banner.gif

Your 6 is my 12.

http://www.voodoo-world.cz

--------------------------------

I think my Esprit turbo can removed the glass without removed the frame but your car is GT3

and window lifting mechnism and the door shell are quite diff.

So, you are right need to remove the frame (I can't see any alternative) :(

Just simple question, what instruction manual? where to get it? i thinked that exist only technical manual.

It's a thick ring-bound book. On the front it says "Service Notes Esprit + Esprit Turbo 1988-1992 Model Years" part no. B082T0327J.

I got mine with the car, but I've seen versions for other models on several stalls at Stoneleigh and Donington. I'm pretty sure you can still get them from Lotus, probably only via a main dealer (but quite a bit more expensive than from the stalls). They are worth their weight in gold though, so on that basis, they're really very cheap. It's worth pointing out you don't get the engine management notes with the main manual. They are available separately as a supplement which you can insert into the ring binder.

If you order one for the GT3, make sure you don't quote the above part number - yours will certainly be different.

More speed, less haste

Tools wise, the glass is held in place with Solbit thermo-electric sealer, for which you'll need a 3v, 10-12A variable transformer, both to remove the old and put in the new. Other than that, it looks like there's no special tools needed.

I think if you're up for it, you really need the manual to guide you through.

oh yes, the alignmentof the door frame is VERY PAINFUL!

one can spend an entire day to do one door and still not getting it right, especially the rubber seals are brand new.

when one thinks they do it right, and then they find out problems with the power window not going up & down smoothly...

when one gets the angle right, the frame may be too much forward and has to move backward, which may screw up all previous work..

good luck!

It's a thick ring-bound book. On the front it says "Service Notes Esprit + Esprit Turbo 1988-1992 Model Years" part no. B082T0327J.

I got mine with the car, but I've seen versions for other models on several stalls at Stoneleigh and Donington. I'm pretty sure you can still get them from Lotus, probably only via a main dealer (but quite a bit more expensive than from the stalls). They are worth their weight in gold though, so on that basis, they're really very cheap. It's worth pointing out you don't get the engine management notes with the main manual. They are available separately as a supplement which you can insert into the ring binder.

If you order one for the GT3, make sure you don't quote the above part number - yours will certainly be different.

thx i ll try to find one, with part number thats ok, on my 90 i ve different from technical manual, no idea why, i ve technical for 88-92 from LEW, they always checking trough VIN.

http://www.lotus-club.cz

lccz_banner.gif

Your 6 is my 12.

http://www.voodoo-world.cz

--------------------------------

Ive since found out that you must remove the frame to remove/replace the door glass.

Also the manual says that to replace the door wipe seal you have to "position" the

door glass to loosen the M3 fixing nuts.

Well in practice you'll find out that you need a deep socket as the studs are too long.

Then you find out that the socket fouls the glass on certain studs and you cant

connect an extension to turn the socket.

My plan is to loosen the glass lift mechanism an then see if I can then "position" the door

glass, then see if I can loosen the retaining nuts without removing the door frame.

Looking at the attached jpg its impossible to get a socket on the nuts anyway.

Thanks for your comments and I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers,

Mick

1999 GT3

post-68-1197196060.jpg