free hit
counters
B72 FOE Restoration Begins - Page 7 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Buddsy

B72 FOE Restoration Begins

Just another point, it may not be possible to fit the gearbox after you've installed the engine with the turbo already in place, I seem to recall when we did dodgys clutch the turbo stopped us from being able to get the box out of the way.

The suspension is a box of DIY its, but if you look at what Jon has posted in your other thread, that should answer your questions.

Seems a little strange that Lotus develop new suspension and poly bushes and then spec rubber lower bushes for the shocks!?

Those red bushes are the business apparently but they are a bugger to fit, I made a little tool to help ease them in without which I don't think I would have ever got them done without distorting the bushes to the point of damaging them. Maybe there is another knack to doing them but I don't think so.

Good luck! LOL

Chunky Lover

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
Maybe there is another knack to doing them but I don't think so.

20 tonne fly press lol!!!

I am going to assemble the gearbox to the engine before I fit it and fit it as one lump. Well thats what Im hoping to do. I think when we done Simonfs we thought it may be easier and I think Dazman took his out in one lump? Now Im not sure though!!!

Thanks for the encouragement though!

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Finally managed to do some catching up on here, Just seen all your photos. Looks Great, keep up the good work, you are nearly there.

Daz

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

Thanks Kris you can do it too for your baby!

So can you guess my next job? Hoping to start it tonight.

IMG_0751.jpg

Some have you may have read in other threads I was thinking about using aftermarket stainless bolts and nuts. Well in the end and with a lot of thought and with speaking to people on here and with a chap who works for me who has much experiance with old Brit Bikes I decided on the following:-

The bolts were all the standard Lotus bought items. Two reasons, 1 I dont think even the best grades of stainless has as good mechanical properties of the alloy steel items. 2 Althought my old items were rusty as hell they all undone easily. I think stainless can bind quite often.

The nute were also the standard items again for the reasons above.

The washers I made myself in stainless steel. Here I dont think the mechanical properties are so critical...oh and I think they look nice!

I dont know if my conclusions are correct but they seem to make sence to me with the people I have spoken to.

Buddsy

Edited by Buddsy

For the rears (which by the pic I assume you are doing first) do not require the use of any spring compressor, just fit them without the top nut on, then jack that corner of the suspension and put the nut on.

For the fronts, just borrow my spring compressor system, it's not two sets of threaded rod with a hook at each end, so a lot safer.

Thanks for the advice Andy I will give that a go...wish I had done it that way when I undone them!

Buddsy

Ok so I did have to use the spessor to get the sring under the top bit of the chassis. Once on I was able to use the jack as you said to get the nut on the damper top. Here are a couple of pics of the first side. I think it looks correct?

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

Parranoid I got something ask about face!!

Buddsy

• Like 1

Mate,

your attention at the finish like me very much, every Esprit should be like your!!!

Very good job :)

I need to make my parts more shining now.... :thumbsup:

Ciao

Giorgio

After threatening to take these bits over to Nick Fulcher for such a long time I finally managed to pop them in to him yesterday.

d396.jpg

fbf4.jpg

I am fairly hopefull they will be able to make them look a little better!!! hahahaha

He did have something very nice and shiney and red he was working on there!!

I will post some pics of my header bits when I get them back.

Buddsy

That is first class, I am so looking forward to be able to post those pictures myself! Awesome finish, awesome....:)

Thanks guys!

Wayne I been reading your thread and dont even think about going back for a 9xx engine!!! lol I thought you were making really good progress with the Rover V8 and I wasnt a fan to start with.

Buddsy

So I got out into the garrage last night! It was a bit cold but it was nice to be back out there sorting out next jobs to be done. I removed the bulkhead trim to look at the bolts that clamp the chassis to the body. I was going to do the LEW job and shorten the tubes so you dont get the knock. When I got to them and undid them mine look to be a different set up. No tube just large washer each side. They were fairly loose so I replaced the nyloc nut and tightened them up. Next job is to fit the nice new headling and cant rails Nick done for me. Pics to follow soon.

Happy spring everyone!

Buddsy :getmecoat:

Im not sure Colin I keep finding things that need doing!! Ive got to strip and rebuild the front suspension so Im not sure maybe later this year maybe next!

I just realised though my car turned 25 years old this month, old girls having a bit of a face lift though lol

Buddsy

I know I havent posted for a while but I have been busy with various jobs. Ive been maily held up by my wheels. Its been a pain working on them but they are nearly done now. I need to get the wheels done so I can the tyres back on so I can move the car out of the garage so I can open the drivers doos so I can finish putting in the head lining! Then put the engine back in.

I have been working on the silicone hose pipes and getting that ready for the engine install. I also made a cam seal heat sheild and reflector using ally sheet and 3 layer ceramic heat shield stuff from Merlin motor sport.

I have removed the bushes from my starter motor as the old ones were very worn and am just waiting to get my hands on a little bit of oilite to make the new ones from.

....Oh I and I know it may have been a bit wasteful but have just bought myself a new reg plate...:horse: B72 FOE is about the 3rd my car has had and as it has no relavance to me I was going to lose it. I have been whatching one on DVLA for a few months and took the plunge as I thought I would be disapointed if someone else were to buy it! Any ways it was only a cheapo but it kinda looks like BUDDSY to me? :)

Buddsy1W.jpg

Buddsy1Y.jpg

Hope to have some new pics soon.

Buddsy

Very cool, that works! :horse:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Paul as per your request some pics...lots of pics in fact!

Ok so heres the old cam heat shield.

11062010004.jpg

This is the new material I got from Merlin

11062010005.jpg

I made a reflector from ally sheet and cut and folded the heat shield material like this.

11062010008.jpg

I folded the shield round like on the post 87 cars

11062010006.jpg

Here are a few pics of my work in progress fitting the new Semco silicon water pipes again I bought from Merlin.

11062010010.jpg

11062010011.jpg

Wheels in painting progress

11062010013.jpg

One wheel done!

11062010015.jpg

11062010014.jpg

Old exhaust clamp plate

11062010016.jpg

New one

11062010017.jpg

I didnt have the rear exhausting plate so I go one laser cut and folded it up. I have a drawing of these parts if there any interest I can upload it too.

11062010018.jpg

11062010019.jpg

Assembled ready to fit

11062010020.jpg

Thats all folks

Buddsy