free hit
counters
2 Dead cylindars but why? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pred247

2 Dead cylindars but why?

Hi all,

Really in the poo with this, and not much fun before Christmas.

The car started miss firing under load and then spluttering on idle.

I took it to my friends garage to have a look.

So far we have tried the following:

Clean all leads and plugs. The leads and plugs are very new anyway.

Test leads. They are sparking fine.

Test plugs. They are sparking fine.

Compression check cyclindars. Seems fine. All 8 were about 100 - 110 pounds.

The last thought was possibly two faulty injects or signal to them.

He will test the signal to the injectors tomorrow, to make sure it's not a connection problem.

Then I guess pull the injectors out, one at a time to make sure they're spraying.

Would any of you have any other thoughts or suggestions?

The two faulty cyclindars are on the left bank, closest to the cockpit.

Thanks,

John

Edited by Predator

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

John

I would definatly go with a faulty coil pack had loads of trouble with the Bosch oem ones ,mine was able to produce a spark at cranking speed but under load and when things warm up the spark becomes insufficient to ignite the mixture.I sent a faulty one to a lab I use at work they found the 4 outputs are fed via resistors,one of the resistors had decomposed and gone high in value.By the way ONE coil output feeds TWO cylinders via "wasted spark" operation

cheers

Thank you both for your quick replies.

I have no P codes at the moment. But, I did have a P code the day before.

I think the P code was P1101. It's something to do with #1 fuel pump relay.

I cleared the code and nothing has came back.

If it was fuel pump relay related, it wouldn't only affect 2 cyclindars would it?

Are the coil packs under the plenum and easy to get to.

The plenum will need to come off to check the injectors anyway.

John

Edited by Predator

Yep - the coil packs are under the plenum and very easy to access once the plenum is off.

I would take the opportunity to replace the injectors with some RC Engineering ones. The Rochester injectors are not so great - R&B can supply RC ones or you can get them direct from the US:

R&B are 94 euros/injector

RC Direct are 79 dollars/injector

RC Engineering SL2-240 injectors

The RC ones are slightly higher capacity (6% more) and have a far more dependable spray pattern and fuel accuracy.

Cheers,

Mike S

Edited by mike_sekinger

Yep - the coil packs are under the plenum and very easy to access once the plenum is off.

I would take the opportunity to replace the injectors with some RC Engineering ones. The Rochester injectors are not so great - R&B can supply RC ones or you can get them direct from the US:

R&B are 94 euros/injector

RC Direct are 79 dollars/injector

RC Engineering SL2-240 injectors

The RC ones are slightly higher capacity (6% more) and have a far more dependable spray pattern and fuel accuracy.

Cheers,

Mike S

Thanks for the suggestion. I did wonder if I could buy improved injectors.

If it is the injectors, then I will certainly do that.

Cheers,

John

Yep coil packs are under plenum,Lucas do coil part no DMB 410 I had to file a small ammount off one of the insulation towers to allow one of the plug boots to seat correctly,these coils were about

Yep coil packs are under plenum,Lucas do coil part no DMB 410 I had to file a small ammount off one of the insulation towers to allow one of the plug boots to seat correctly,these coils were about

John,

I had a bad mis-fire under load on my 2002 V8 about 6 month ago. If I floored the throttle the car wouldn't go above 40MPH and would just mis-fire terribly.

I went for the coil packs but this didn't rectify the problem. I was advised to check the Cats to see if one of them had calapsed. L/H side was fine but part of the R/H side Cat Ceramic element had pushed into the smaller diameter of the exhaust pipe and was restricting the flow of exhaust gases from the R/H bank.

Talking the Cats off to see if they have calapsed is at no cost to you except your labour. if it turns out this isn't the problem then go for the coil packs.

Will

John,

I had a bad mis-fire under load on my 2002 V8 about 6 month ago. If I floored the throttle the car wouldn't go above 40MPH and would just mis-fire terribly.

I went for the coil packs but this didn't rectify the problem. I was advised to check the Cats to see if one of them had calapsed. L/H side was fine but part of the R/H side Cat Ceramic element had pushed into the smaller diameter of the exhaust pipe and was restricting the flow of exhaust gases from the R/H bank.

Talking the Cats off to see if they have calapsed is at no cost to you except your labour. if it turns out this isn't the problem then go for the coil packs.

Will

I had the same problem it turned out to be a bad injector, one injector with a short can cause another not to fire do to the way they are wired. get a noid tester ( under $10 at NAPA) it plugs into each injector plug tells you if it is get the signal from ECU to fire. jp

John,

Will

Hey Will,

That's a good suggestion, but both cats are only a few months old.

Thanks,

John

I had the same problem it turned out to be a bad injector, one injector with a short can cause another not to fire do to the way they are wired. get a noid tester ( under $10 at NAPA) it plugs into each injector plug tells you if it is get the signal from ECU to fire. jp

Hiya,

My friend at the garage showed me the noid tester the day I took the car in.

I'm going to call in a minute to see if the test has been done.

Will update you then.

Thanks,

John

Well the noid test was done yesterday and all is fine there.

The injectors are being taken out and sent away for testing. Fingers crossed it's just them playing up!

John

John where in the country are you ? have got a coil pack tester you could borrow it will dynamically test the coil as if running on the car @4000 rpm .I am in Manchester

John where in the country are you ? have got a coil pack tester you could borrow it will dynamically test the coil as if running on the car @4000 rpm .I am in Manchester

Hello David,

I'm in Kingston, Surrrey.

Probably a bit far lol. Thank you for the kind offer. :)

John

Woo hoo, problem solved! :devil:

It was two dirty injectors. Once they were serviced and put back in, the car ran fine again.

I think I'll still go ahead and purchase the performance injectors in the new year.

Thanks for all your support and suggestions.

John

Great that you have found and fixed the problem. What fuel do you use?

Regards,

Peter.

It was two dirty injectors. Once they were serviced and put back in, the car ran fine again.

I think I'll still go ahead and purchase the performance injectors in the new year.

John

John

You have a PM.

Cheers,

Mike S

Great that you have found and fixed the problem. What fuel do you use?

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks Peter,

I always use either BP Ultimate 97 Octane or Shell Optimax.

John