free hit
counters
Alarm - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Cobra Alarm,

1999 V8 GT. Anybody have any ideas about what model this is. I have the certificate somewhere, but have just moved house and can't find it anywhere. I want to get another remote key sorted out but when I go to the cobra dealer I want to be armed with info on what it is.

Phil B

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Cobra 6422

Do you still have the cylindrical bit to program a new fob?

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

oh dear,

if you have a working alarm and need a new fob you may struggle with out the programme key. its red on older cobra alarm/ immobilisers.

I just had to change the whole alarm for a later cobra model. ( No red key here though) The central locking was part of the alarm, The central door locking stopped working after I changed it.

If you need to change it I advise you see if lotus has a replacement alarm in stock and get an auto electrician to fit it, The old alarm module and immobiliser is unpluggable so it is a fairly easy replacement.

Some muppet couldn't afford the finance on my car and the alarm was ripped out when it was repossed. I got the car in a right state, the dash was hanging out and there were wires everywhere. Don't let a garage fit a new alarm, The later model esprit 97 98 on are different to earlier esprits. I bought a CDL module for mine but there was not even a plug for it, the harness is different than the one in the workshop manual. The 6422 operates the window closures, immobiliser, alarm and CDL. Its a very good system.

hmmm...

CDL? Central Door Locking? Mine doesn't seem to have this, although to be honest I haven't figured out what the two buttons on the keyfob are for yet.

hmmm...

CDL? Central Door Locking? Mine doesn't seem to have this, although to be honest I haven't figured out what the two buttons on the keyfob are for yet.

If yours is still the same as mine; than the bigger one is the general arming(disarming) button- includes doorlock and ignition/fuel immobilizer. The smaller one is for overriding the passenger/driver compartment ["microwave"?] alarm. That means you can have a dog (or cat) inside without an alarm,but the door is still locked and the immobilizer is armed.

Thats all what the owners handbook say, or what i understand from it... .

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

use your fingernails or a knife, the thing is splitted into halfs. In the inside is a 3v lithium button cell!

Or use the keyring-thing(resistor), delivered with the car (i hope you have that thing, its for the contact point in the middle under your elbow. Or as Kylie called it last "the hidden buttons"...)

Edited by G

That's what I've been using. It works fine, but I would REALLY like the central locking to work. To be honest, I didn't know the car had it as there are no power locking buttons inside the car.

the "buttons" on the middle of the car are only a receptor-point for the spare immobilizer (resistor tube-thing). the second is the window override (for frozen windowslides) and third is dash light dimmer, last is fuelflap switch. Thats all in that area!

I mean there is no original power locking button fitted. It works all over the keyfob in my car.

Even the (in the owners handbook) mentioned master lock function of driver doorlock (from outside with turn the key in fully opposite direction ) does not work. Also if i push the inside doorlock in the door opener on drivers side it does not react on the passenger side. In original GM cars (as the doorlock system/the mechanic is from that) it does work like this.

Maybe this was an offer in the former cars (up to the time the cobra immobilizer system was introduced) and the owners manual was not updated. Inside of the drivers door lock(behind the door trim, mounted to the lock) there is only one micro switch, the second place is blocked with a spacer. don't know if that belongs to the behavior in my car... .

All that can be different in US-specification, as i know there are some strange regulations about "panic buttons" and burglar protection

Edited by G

My doors work in the way that you have described there. ie. no central locking as I know it from other vehicles.

One thing worring me though is that I do not have the resistor key thing, I only have the key fobs to open the doors etc. Anyone any idea if these are available from Lotus or Cobra?

Cheers,

Stuart.

Driving Automotive Aristocracy Since 2004

the resistor thing is good to have. In case you have no Keyfobs (or even the 3V battery is shut down..) you can open the door normally with the key, and override the alarm trigger with that resistor by getting it into contact to that receptor point. That should disarm the immobilizer and you can start the engine. My point of worry is that the keyfob has (as i understand it..) several self-changed arming/disarming program codes every time you use it. Whereas the keyresistor can only have a specified resistance. So how does this system work in real? As it is commonly easy to override the Opel/GM doorlocks, all you need then is a resistor in the right range to start the engine !?? PANIC...

[quote name='G

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

i meant the resistor is different from car to car, but as i understand the keyfob identifies itself every time new after arming the system. so you cant measure or notice the RC-arming code one time you have armed and disarmed the system, and hope on the next day it is still the same code !? The only thing that is constant is the frequency of your keyfob, as that is regulated in European laws.

That's what i not understand. The only other way is that every system has a preset acceptor resistance for its own. That would work as a master disarming function, what ever the last radio controlled program code may was...

as far as i remember it , it is truly a simple wiring with a resistor in it!

The most important point is how can we show a skilled car electrician in this forum the revised harness sheets with the door locking/cobra setup. I think it is one or more inhere who can tell us how we can modify it to a more standard "turn key and go" CDL-system.

My doors work in the way that you have described there. ie. no central locking as I know it from other vehicles.

One thing worring me though is that I do not have the resistor key thing, I only have the key fobs to open the doors etc. Anyone any idea if these are available from Lotus or Cobra?

Cheers,

Stuart.

Whew, then I'm not the only one. It sounds like some models actually had powerlocks.

and even the ordinary Opel Calibra was fitted with powerlock/CDL by turning the key on drivers side. So why should it not also work in our cars !?!

My car was a repossession, and the original alarm was disconnected. The new system didn't pick up the CDL, the motors are fitted.

The Earlier <96 esprit have a CDL module from a caviler/calibra. The later esprit 96> were not fitted with one. I thought the later alarms incorporated the CDL. But several people I spoke to and lotus technical in Hethel said they had no CDL.

The new alarm I fitted was a cobra, it utilised some of the old cobra gear installed by lotus. I then bought a CDL motor kit for

Thanks for that Pedro! That would explain some of the confusion about why I don't have CDL but others do. What model Cobra did you fit?

Thanks for that Pedro! That would explain some of the confusion about why I don't have CDL but others do. What model Cobra did you fit?

sorry for delay, I will have a look what alarm I have.

You may be able to utilise your alarm still. I couldn't because all the blippers were missing from mine and the system had ben destroyed by a fool with a pair of snips.

There will be a positive or negative arming wire on your alarm. This wire is linked to the arming wire from the retrofit CDL module and loom. If you buy a retro fit system make sure you get one WITHOUT the remote arming, otherwise you'll end up having two blippers. You just need a basic system. I can take a photo of the mounting in the door when you are ready. It is a realy simple modification. The hardest bit is pulling the new loom through the dash and drilling 1/4" holes in the door pillars for the loom to go through.

When I purchased my 98 Esprit in 07, the previous owner didn't have the remote (keyfob). Where do I get a new one and have it programmed. What exactly does the keyfob control??

Scott

the *resistor type* tube disarms the ecm-power shut off.

The power-shutoff get in automatically after some seconds without ignition key in.

You need the keys to lock you doors manually.

The radio-controlled key arms and disarms ecm-power shutoff. And it locks/unlocks the doors. You can engage the doorlock without inside "radar" [microwave or so..] detection. That offers to let a cat, dog or whatever sit in the car and lock the doors by radio control. (it's the smaller button..)