free hit
counters
GT3 First Impressions - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GordonMasson

GT3 First Impressions

Well as you know it got here this morning and I managed to get an hour or so with it today.

First impressions:

Light years away from 100G but strangely very alike too

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Looks mint Gordon. The engine note will be a major disappointment after your S1 though, like you say a dentists drill on the inside and a Dyson hoover outside. A sports exhaust works wonders but it will never be the same.

Can't comment on the brakes as I think yours has a different system. Overrall I think you will enjoy it, they are well built and very useable.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I wholeheartedly agree about the engine noise - I remember being incredibly disappointed when I first heard mine, I think in all fairness my Dyson is louder and sounds more sporty!

The brakes are the worst feel of anything I've ever driven but do seem to stop you just in the nick of time... New pads help slightly, but the other thing to check is your tyres - I find that when the fronts are badly worn, the hateful ABS locks the wheels up very quickl, which is not a nice feeling!

I know it's another post but the clutch gets heavier as it wears - it feels like lead for the last couple of thousand miles, when you get it changed you'll be delighted.

Overall though, I love the GT3, I hope you have a long and happy relationship......

Tim B

There should be nothing wrong with the brakes.

Get on a slip road or something and plant them then see how quick the car stops, when you nail them you'll see what I mean - compare them with an SE at the same speed, gimme the GT3 any day !!!

The effect is the feel and the way the boost chamber on the mastercylinder pushes the pedal back against your foot - it has very little travel and no 'damping' so it's like stamping on the floor - the worst part is the over intrusive ABS .

The pedal isn't much fun to push but when you figure a very similar system was on the V8, stopping a GT3 is quite easy.

facebook = [email protected]

With regards to the brakes guys, remember its a 97 car so it doesnt have the V8 system fitted.

They do stop the car its just that they dont feel very progressive and the pedalalways feels very hard... not easy to explain but just very different from the S1 or any other car i have driven.

No I didn't say it was the same system, it's similar, in the fact it has the same rotors, pads and calipers.

The pedal feel is typical for the Delco IIIa system and is just the power feedback to the pedal when the power assist is kicking in.

It's the same system on the later S4 and S4s so you're all in the same boat - the V8 has the Kelsey Hayes unit, infact I can remember my V8 being similar in feel.

No feel, non progressive and being rock hard means the system is working OK, you just ahve to get used to it - you're right in that it is unlike any car I have driven either.

My S4 must still be broken then,because my sport 350 's brakes are light and day away .I know the front calipers are slightly bigger bit the rears are the same,its just the ABS system that's different being the Kelsey Hayes one.

Back to the toolbox then. I know it seems normal but are the s4/GT3's brakes all this bad!

I'm going to start a new thread.... :blush:

Rich

KH master cylinder is supposed to be better feel than the Delco one, can't really remember now it's been ages since I drove a later car.

Remember the S350 has different calipers with bigger pistons, much bigger pads, larger rotors, wider tyres and more weight to keep grip.

The rears might apear to be the same but again larger rotors improve the braking. Plus all that and the S350 is a track focused and tuned car so it's going to be set up that way. Chalk et cheese.