free hit
counters
Coolant tank on the boot... - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
espritpassion

Coolant tank on the boot...

HI ESPRIT FRIENDS

I have seen that after driving my GT3 the coolant tank on the boot (the 2nd tank should be a expansion tank) the level of coolant is always low.....I have always added coolant on this tank but I'm not sure if is ok this...

Yesterday for example the coolant level before to start was normal (I added coolant 2/3weeks ago and after the car was always in garage), yesterday returned home I have opened the boot and I have seen that the level of the coolant tank on the boot was low......why?? what you think???

A friend said me to check the chargecooler pump, it can be also, for example, the reason for a less power ...

thanks for your support

Alessandro

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I my car the coolant tank in the engine bay settles to around 2/3 full, around the bottom of the plastic thing that sits inside the top of the tank, this is pretty normal, the tank in the left hand side at the very back is the expansion tank and this will accept any overfill from the main tank or any expelled coolant from the main tank due to overpressure/temp and leak away any excess. I am not 100% sure exactly how it all works but its there to keep the coolant from overfill, for sure.

Are you talking about the one behind the wheel arch or the one inside the engine bay ?

On my car the one inside the engine bay is generally around 7/8 full, the one in the wheel arch no matter what I do to it generally runs really low.

As long as the main tank in the engine bay is full, the other tank can be any level as it only works as an expansion / accumulator when the car gets hot and the coolant expands.

facebook = [email protected]

In time it will settle down, mine was topped up full and after a few hundred miles and warm up cycles it settles to where it should be. If your temps are ok and your fans come on when they should (around 85C) then don't worry. Only start worrying if the fans don't come on or the water runs dry and the car overheats!.

Might be worth checking the water after a few runs but bear in mind it will be pressurised and hot so let it cool down first, OBVIOUSLY.

Cheers

happy motoring

ps you can check your fans come on by switching on the air conditioning, this kicks them in automatically and they switch off when it is turned off. All separate to any thermostat input of course

Edited by DBredS4

Yes...the fans work well and I haven't temp problems....

However I want say if is necessary add coolant on the tank on the wheel arch, or no??

If is not necessary add coolant on the tank in the wheel arch, and is normal the low level, I'm more calm....

On my V8 the tank on the wheel arch usually had very little in it.It is just an overflow I think ?? The car used no water anyway but I used to check the one in the main engine bay after every journey!! I think the level i about half way uo just at the bottom of the plastic thing that is under the lid!

My s4 has the same tank in the engine bay and an expansion tank in the passenger side boot.The one in the boot is nearly empty but the one in the engine bay is the one to check the level on.

Maybe I'm mad ,but I check the water level after every journey( too many years of racing I suppose).On any engine very rarely do you get completely away with over heating..........In my experience.

Richard

there you are. In my experience the overflow accepts heat induced expansion 'overflow' but will put back any that is needed by the main if it wants it back after heat expansion cools off. so a little in the overflow won't do any harm, it wiill simply expel any surplus overboard through a pipe to atmosphere that isn't sucked back by the main.

Edited by DBredS4