free hit
counters
setting pin overall dimension - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Günter

setting pin overall dimension

to describe it exactly: my car runs a bit unstable, all is weak and it's gone older overall in the last years. The point is i want to verify that my camshaft positions are still exactly right. And the other point is to tighten it up in the right way if necessary.

I have read in some comments you can set it with punching pins from a hardware store. But what i'm interested in is the overall exact dimension to reproduce the tools with a CAD program. All i know for now is: the spike is 4.2 mm (for tolerance),or 4.7mm (for exact setting), the thread is M6 [maybe 8mm long ?].

Question is: how deep is the hole in the camshaft, and what is the dimension of the maximum diameter on the pin? (is the original pin centered directly in the engine head cover hole, or in the sealing/washer under the cover-screw head?)

Other question is: how is the vane for the crankshaft positioning tool "market", i can't see any difference on them. Is there a gab on the vane, or should i clean it up a bit more as it is colored ?

to build the setting tool in a DIY system seems to be possible as it is all of a rotational symmetric shape, so what..!

i should look something like that, but with more technical(fabrication) detailing:

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think it is a cool project you are working on.

I was thinking of buy a set of pins. The last time checked for a complete set of Pins (located and tolerance) were about $55US. It would probable cost more (time and money) to have them made then just to buy them directly from Lotus.

JoeyO

2001 V8

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

It would probable cost more (time and money) to have them made then just to buy them directly from Lotus.

JoeyO

2001 V8

more time than money, as i can maybe use the test fabrication machinery in the laboratory.. .

You say it on offer from Lotus, ...on witch page? It is nothing in the online-store, or am i to blind to find it !?

Looks as if the fastest an cheapest way is to cut some M6 screws to length and grind or lathe the end to match the diameter 4.2 and 4.7 . But that will definitively look not so elegant as an handcrafted anodized aluminum setting pin!

Any suggestions in the "setting vane market" thing?? What is it: a gab, a point of paint or something else ..?

(a high res. picture from that timing pointer disk can also be useful in the future)

thats not a "official" Lotus page, right ? So it is clear that i haven't found it.. .

Thanks for that!, now i can take a look if it is to complicated to make some for my own.

i was so stupid to look into the Lotus-Cars web shop . On the official UK site under *parts*... :)

They have a AWI rim set and a lot of stuff from the S2-S3 series, thats all. And yes, a luggage rack is also on offer :P