free hit
counters
What a beautiful day for driving my Esprit... - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

What a beautiful day for driving my Esprit...

Woke up this morning, opened the curtains - fantastic clear blue sky. Wife was at work, so thought I'd give my new toy a serious spin. Drove up to the gas station, slammed in a few quid, and drove off...

Bugger. Lurching from side to side, and that familiar rumble. Pulled off the road as best I could, dinking a bloody wheel in the process. N/S/R tyre flat! I debated invoking my breakdown cover, but as I was only a third of a mile from home (and convinced I must have a puncture), I nursed her back. Got out the compressor, inflated the tyre - perfect! No pressure loss. Can't figure this out. I definitely had pressure in that tyre when I was putting gas in, but 3 minutes later it was flat, and the car wasn't out of my sight for even a second.

Sidewall's pretty trashed now, so no playing. Fortunately I was pricing new rears only last night as they're close to the limit. I'm just a tad miffed because I lost a glorious sunny day. :crazy:

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Could it have rimmed out when you left your drive?

Have had this happen on a car of mine when pulling onto a friends drive,

'pop' and the wall is off the rim as the lip of a 2"" kerb caught it a bit funny.

Probably can happen easier with cold hard tyre walls too. More in the realm

of very low profiles mind.

:blush:

Don't think so. Drive to road is smooth with no lip, and it definitely wasn't flat on the way to the gas station. But I suppose it could have done as you suggested pulling on to the forecourt. I'm more annoyed at losing a nice drive than blowing a tyre!

At least it's forced me to get on with ordering new rear tyres. Looking at Black Circle - don't know what to go for...

Oh yes, the old "Your car costs too much!" arguement which ends in "Why don't you sell it and get me a nice new Kitchen/Conservatory/car/holiday." :blush:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Fair comment, Simon - hadn't thought of it that way.

Historically, the missus has stabbed me, split my lip, and laughed like a drain each time I've broken a bone. Maybe I've missed a couple of subtle clues?

New kitchen was part of the Esprit purchase deal, unfortunately. Kitchen units arrive in 3 weeks. And then all the appliances which, by incredible coincidence, she tells me are all in need of replacement! They all worked last time I was in there (maybe a few months now). And she has the front to moan about a couple of tyres.

Since you've collectively convinced me that a) I was very lucky; and b ) it was probably spousal sabotage, maybe I should figure out how to launch a culinary retaliation. :blush: Muhahaha

New tyres will be fitted Wednesday. No doubt it will rain incessantly thereafter.

Edited by sparky

New tyres (Toyos) fitted today. Amazed at the change in handling! I've never experienced such an improvement due to tyres alone. Might have something to do with the N/S/R outer sidewall - it was abysmal, and Simon was right - I was verrrry lucky to get away with it.

Just trashed one of my new tyres today.

I may have done it by clipping a kerb, but doubt it, I'll get the tyre fitter to have a look, if they can get anything back from the supplier I'll be happy.

The side wall was damaged but I didn't realise, I wasn't pushing it hard on the way into work, and it's a very short distance anyway. I was going to take it somewhere and inflate it, see if there was a leak and go from there. Then realised I hadn't got the security wheel nut adapter. Called out the recovery firm (Footman James Classic car policy freebie= great service). In about 30 mins a truck was there. He pumped up the tyre, found the leak, decided it needed a new tyre (side wall damage is a no-brainer). Fitted the space saver I recently bought (never tried it to see it works). Inflated that (oops).

Now I have to wait and find out tomorrow if the tyre place can get a matching tyre for the back, and if they can, find out if it will be here in Norwich before Christmas (or maybe after New Year).

I guess I've done less than 2,000 miles on that tyre, and one track day.

Andy