free hit
counters
Wheels jumping - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's quite normal due to geometry of front suspension. I try not to reverse on full lock only when I have to. It sounds a little embarrassing to passers by so I'd prefer to go forward and then have another go in reverse if you know what I mean.

My V8 suffers much less than my previous Esprits.

No, that's normal.

If you're really interested in the physics google on Ackermann steering.

But basically the Esprit it set up with bucket loads of camber for better cornering. However, that means on full lock the fronts will scrub and skip a lot especially with the wide tyres.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

It's called 'anti-ackermann' steering I believe where the wheels don't turn the same amount on lock to aid low speed manoeuvring.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

there are 3 main set-ups.

Ackerman

Anti Ackerman

neutral / no Ackerman.

I cannot remember which of the first 2 are which.

One turns the outer wheel less than the inner wheel (more like normal concentric circles would give)

one turns the outer wheel more than the inner.

The last simply turns both the same amount.

One gives better high speed cornering butvery juddery slow speed turning.

One gives better slow speed turning, but not as good at high speed.

Neutral, you guessed it, somewhere in the middle.

Lotus, as mentioned in one of the earlier posts, went for good turning at high speed, and who cares about full lock judder when you're getting in and out of parking spaces?

Perhaps somebody would care to match up the names and the methods.

Andy

Another Lotus 'feature' then, bit like the unpredictable fuel gauge. At least i know its normal.

It's not a problem with the car, far from it as it's designed to do that.

You can't have excellent handling at high speed and perfect steering when parking, that's why the systems have been invented, as a compromise but giving you the best of what you want which is the fast stuff as a priority. There isn't another solution, or at least there wasn't when our cars were built.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.