free hit
counters
How does performance stand up? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
red vtec

How does performance stand up?

How quick are older Esprit Turbo models? Not so much 0-60 etc but in real world sense how does it compare to M3, Subaru etc? i.e is it stiill a fast car? and how do GT3, V8's etc differ? (as I've nver been in one) I know speed is not everything i.e the handaling is amazing.

I think the Turbo is the kind of car that is faster than it seems, if that makes sense. I don't get the kick in the pants but on a straight road I see other cars disappering in the rearview mirror. The only thing I dislike abouit it is the brakes, although when I read the old road tests they say they are good :santa:

As I say this is not supposed to be a max Power/Road racing question just a disscussion of how well it's performance still stands today.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Most modern cars are too heavy by far. They need lots more power just to overcome this.

Mine wipes the floor with my 350bhp skyline.

Are you surprised? How heavy is the Skyline?

Most of the modern preformance cars need loads of elecronics just to keep them on the road. A bit like the new Euro Fighter, where as the esprit has great handling with out all those gismos.

I know someone with an Audi A6 V8. lovely car, beutiful sound from the V8, tremendous preformance for a 4 door saloon. But when he tried to Dis my old gal, I just pointed out to him just how reliant his was to all those electonic & if any was to malfunction, or to be switched off then where would he be.

Daz

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

i must admit when my new v8 had been carefully run in, my GT was fantastically quick :santa: eating M3s and other "so called" FAT fast cars as an apperetief before dispatching them to the dust and weeds from wence they came :)

there was really not alot that could keep up without being in a "money no object" situation

as a contrast the S4 i had previously was also proper fast and was perhaps the best handling car i have ever had other than the Elise.

i would also be interested to find out from you G car turbo owners how you feel your motor performs against the "fast", dull, GTIs and STs of this world? can they still at least hold their own? (never owned one u c - just the series 1 with no turbo)

regards

jim

Cheers - jim

When you keep the Turbo spinning there's not alot of cars on the road that can keep up with them. The official figures for my S4 depend on where you look them up but I have seen a 0-60 of 4.2 through to 4.6 secs. On Paper there are a very few normal road cars that can do those sort of figures (Scooby and Mitsi to name 2).

Just 4 weeks ago I pulled up at lights alongside a nice new Audi A4, the one that Jeremy Clarkson likes so much, with the V8 in it. He decided he wanted to beat me off from the lights but instead was just embarassed (It was superb seeing his face at the next lights when he realised he'd been beaten by a 14 year old,

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I wouldn't even think of taking on a Subaru in the damp/wet (or Evo, Skline). To be honest, I've even let Civic type R's drive of into the distance in the damp. I learnt my lesson and fortunately managed to catch the car when the back started to step out on acceleration. My wife wasn't amused.

Regards,

Peter.

Edited by peter_england99

my 1993 can outrun a brand new Porsche Carrera 4.

and I don't think I will ever race my Esprit with an EVO or STi car....(they are different class)

in HK, they are poor people's sportscar, kind of like a "Jack-Up" Civic kind of cars,

so I am not about to compare them with an European supercar.

it's just like no Ferrari owner will race with a Skyline GTR or Supra because it worths more than those Japan metals....

if there is an accident, the tires alone probably costs more than a used Supra.

Most of us are well aware of the caperbilities of our esprits so to rise to the challenge of a street race with some nob in a BMW just is'nt worth it even for the top prize of a instant ban for racing on Her Majestys highway

Dave Hopwood

An N/A car with only about 160 bhp struggles to keep up with the "quicker traffic" these days.

It's all very well dissing modern electronics but getting an older Esprit up and running on a cold morning is hardly an exercise in automotive elegance. Absence of ABS is a bit of an attention grabber too, especially when it's raining!

You gotta love 'em though!

Most of us are well aware of the caperbilities of our esprits so to rise to the challenge of a street race with some nob in a BMW just is'nt worth it even for the top prize of a instant ban for racing on Her Majestys highway

Thanks for all the replies, as I say I was just wondering how they compare to modern machines. I'm really not into racing as most of those nobs end up in the ditch or wrapped round a lamp post :santa:

As Kimbers has said It feels like a good touring car which is what i'd like to do just need to get the heater sorted and some AA cover :)

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Hi,

As a G car owner I can say that it is just about fast enough but slower than it looks.

Keeping up with a scooby on dry wide roads is not too challenging but ultimately pointless. Remember we are not required to demonstrate anything, they on the other hand need to distinguish themselves from their common impoverished heritage either by tacky aggressive styling or by desperate displays of speed. Let them play their games and save your speed for your own thrills on a deserted dry roundabout. {then nobody can witness the misfiring spluttering stall as you exit the roundabout because you carb floats arent floating}

Ambrose

Nice Avatar Ambrose!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Can't speak for the G cars, but I was recently surprized to find my S car had absolutly no trouble keeping with a Ferrari 360. In fact, in 3rd gear I was a bit faster.

I respect older cars for what they are - and in the day the Esprit was tops. I was just surprized to see that it still, apparently,... is.

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

As a G car owner I can say that it is just about fast enough but slower than it looks.

Keeping up with a scooby on dry wide roads is not too challenging but ultimately pointless. Remember we are not required to demonstrate anything, they on the other hand need to distinguish themselves from their common impoverished heritage either by tacky aggressive styling or by desperate displays of speed. Let them play their games and save your speed for your own thrills on a deserted dry roundabout. {then nobody can witness the misfiring spluttering stall as you exit the roundabout because you carb floats arent floating} Ambrose

A wonderful post which describes the situation perfectly!

well I got a right spanking from an Audi RS4 last week!! I had no chance, he gunned it fron the lights as did i, He was about 250m down the road while i was about 150m behind and completely sideways..hahahaha it was wet!! :santa:

Mark

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

Don't forget we have a significant had start over the usual mundane dross as our cars appear to be going at least 40 mph before 1st gear is even engaged.. :santa:

So true, so true.... Damn these cars do look good don't they! Timeless to a point. I have been accused of trying to enter car shows with a car "not old enough" believe it or not.

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

A few months back during the summer that never, was I managed to out pace a gallardo onto the M3 at basingstoke...... once on the motorway he blitzed me as i didn't want th ban, tend to agree most of the time I can't be bothered

evaporated a fiat coupe' turbo arbrath a few weeks back (pitty these cars have fallen into the corsa and civic sector as i used ti kike mine but know ithey are viewed as boy racer)

always getting nobs in subabru's reving up, (even when washing the car) also focus st think they are in the "big boy" league but are very much mistaken. also had an m3 on the way back from stonleigh car seems to suck its self to the road when over 120 and seams to just get faster and faster once it hits 130.

loving my s4, trying hard to be "sensible" especialy in the current weather conditions, although sideways from a straight line is pretty fun.

all the best

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Kimbers,

Its not my car btw (although mine is the same year and colour)... its an original press photo of a 1985 turbo I acquired via ebay. Here is a delicious full sized version

Speed, hmm I don't know it just seems a bit naff in a signet ring kind of way. If the definition of performance were widened to include style and emotion then really only a few lambos or f words would outperform it.

Ambrose

take note that the most important figure to represent performance is not 0-60mph (or 0-100km per hour)

the most important figure is the 20kmph to 100kmph timing (a rolling start) because this is probably what a driver will do most of the time in daily traffic.

an Esprit may not be able to beat some modern car in 0-100kmph time.

but it actually can go faster in a rolling start than many modern cars.

So true, so true.... Damn these cars do look good don't they! Timeless to a point. I have been accused of trying to enter car shows with a car "not old enough" believe it or not.

Cameron

I believe you.

In fact, I want to join the HK classic car club but my Esprit is not qualified as a classic car yet.

it has to be at least 20years old, so I have to wait till 2013

Speaking as a G car owner for pure out speed then the good old girl just about holds here own until you get to high end new stuff. However if you convert that into a point a to b blat then she can hold her own with the best of them.

I have two examples of this for you from this past year.

I took my old man who owns a TVR Chimera to a pistonheads organised tvr run that was organised down our way and I went along in the esprit, we were playing on some the fantastic road that is the A272 now not once was I harrased in my rear view mirror apart from once when a tuscan out accelerated me from a junction but hey no supprise there! Not one comment was made from the guys in the TVRs that the old G car was not upto the task and it was a great run and she held her own well :santa:

The second was returning from a run a was pottering along plesently minding my own on a section of dual carriage way that is a lovely winding section of fast bends. I happen to glance in my rear view mirror to see some hulking great gearman bahemouth filling my view, so I move over and he passes it was a fairly new 5 serries but with 4 tailpipes (M5??). He then pulls in and slows so I pass him again and as I know the road and love it thought aghhh hell spank it, so off i went.

This thing was glued to my arse harder than shit to a blanket and wasnt moving again on a fairly straight section no supprise to me if it is a newish M5 but then one of those glorious moments happened where the car truely shows you who is boss and that you are just a big jessie.

We enter a corner that tightens and my first though is oh F**K I've over done this and I'm heading for the bushes, so i cling on and keep the power on not wanting to upset the balance and before i can say "praise the lord oh ACBC" I'm out the other side of said corner and mr M5 is a good 6-10 car lengths behind. So having had the car show its true colour I slow and continue on my way to have mr M5 pass with a big grin and a thumbs up to continue on his way.

Oh for the summer time again :)

Interesting note that this August on our NMEG run Ian Highway in his S1 was leading our hoon with Graham (backmarker) in his V8 GT in pursuit, Graham was having trouble keeping up on the twisty road leading to Ironbride. To be fair Ian did know the road, but it does show it not all about power........

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy