free hit
counters
Rear hatch dampers - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Atle

Rear hatch dampers

Hi all,

Saw the Top Gear clip where Clarkson drives the S4 I think it was. I noticed when he pulled the rear hatch opening lever, the hatch swung up to fully open by itself. When I release mine, it just pops out of the locking mechanism and I have to lift it up by the wing. Its quite heavy really.

Do I need new dampers?

lo.jpg

This way to ship models! http://www.modelship...user-index.html

AELLEF_Esprit_27.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

yes you do mine used to open fine but now they do what yours do, not good :sleeping:

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Hi all,

Saw the Top Gear clip where Clarkson drives the S4 I think it was. I noticed when he pulled the rear hatch opening lever, the hatch swung up to fully open by itself. When I release mine, it just pops out of the locking mechanism and I have to lift it up by the wing. Its quite heavy really.

Do I need new dampers?

Do you have a tailgate mounted spoiler? I've a V8-GT with the long transom and no spoiler and it opens fine by itself. But I believe those with a tailgate mounted spoiler, particularly the later V8 style, don't lift and require locking dampers to hold it up.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

I've replaced mine recently for the same reason and now you have to watch your chin as it leaps open!

Lotus have (or had when I got them) lots in stock and while you can get them from other sources for less money you can be sure you are getting ones with the right strength as they vary for each model. The SE needs one of them to lock because of the extra weight of the spoiler (my Turbo, without spoiler, doesn't need the locking feature).

Mine cost about

Thanks guys,

Yes I do have the tailgate mounted wing, thus also the locking device in the fully open position. I can probably get dampers via a very good parts dealer locally. I have a slight problem though, if the Esprit is inside my garage the rear hatch will slam into the roofed garage door, as there is not enough height. On the other hand, this can probably be restrained if I want to open it in there in an emergency.

I prefer the self-lift thing.

lo.jpg

AELLEF_Esprit_27.jpg

Atle

Lotus had 3 dampers types, ones for body mounted spoilers (Sport 300 etc) and ones for tailgate mounted spoilers (S4). The parts list has the S4 type listed as part no AO82U6169F.

They introduced a 3rd type of locking damper for the V8/Sport350 on the left side only according to the parts list (AO82U6208F) the right side being the S4 type.

Mine was delivered from the factory with an S4 wing and thus uprated dampers. A previous owner didn't like the wing and took it off, now the tailgate will break your jaw if not careful!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

do yoiu know what other cars they were off? as i dont have

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I will check with big parts dealer here in Norway called "Mekonomen", they found the right one for my old Alfa GTV6. These are aftermarket dampers and may fit several cars. Will check if the S4 damper is equivalent to other (more reasonably priced) makes, if they have it listed.

And a happy new year!

lo.jpg

AELLEF_Esprit_27.jpg

Hi,

Just to let people know, my rear tailgate dampers were completely knackered, gate wouldn't move an inch, and to hold it up I've been carrying around a piece of wood. Well having had enough of that and not really wanting to pay Lotus prices for gas struts I visited my local breakers yard. It was just a case of going round all the cars to find a match.

I thought I would start with Vauxhall cars as my GT3 uses large amounts of Vauxhall parts. I did find something similar, but it wasn't quite the right length. Kept looking, then I nearly found an exact match with a Fiat Brava, but still not right.

In the end I went and looked at the VW's, the first car I looked at was a mk2 Polo, opened the gate, offered up my Esprit strut, perfect match, exact right length. :smoke: The only minor difference was one end of the strut was set at an angle, but I've fitted them and they work great, you just have to unscrew one end to put the earth connector on the strut. I paid

Edited by OwenGT3

Thanks Owen, good tip. My wife actually owns a MKII Polo, will have a look when I get home. This issue has been dormant for a while but now time to take action, tired of having to stretch arms between the hatch opening lever and wing to lift. The locks do not fully disengage with the tailgate still resting on the pins.

I also carry the wood stick - just to keep tailgate half way up when open in the garage. Roof too low for it to be fully open.

lo.jpg

AELLEF_Esprit_27.jpg

Thanks Owen, good tip. My wife actually owns a MKII Polo, will have a look when I get home. This issue has been dormant for a while but now time to take action, tired of having to stretch arms between the hatch opening lever and wing to lift. The locks do not fully disengage with the tailgate still resting on the pins.

I also carry the wood stick - just to keep tailgate half way up when open in the garage. Roof too low for it to be fully open.

So suddenly overnight her tailgate will need a piece of wood to hold it up! :D And magically your Esprit now stays up!

Owen

Hi Atle, how are you? when I had my 89 my struts were starting to fail, I called up a moble gas strut guy to come over and test the current ones and fit new ones to do the job perfectly. I cant remember how many pounds of pressure they were too long ago. But you must have a moble person that would come to you over there?? It only cost me $80NZD all up which I thought was cheap. If and when my V8 one starts to die, ill be going down the same route.

All the best me :D

350.gifNo.23

Got a pair off a peugeout 206,

Amateurs built the Ark

There are quite a few cross reference struts listed at the Esprit Fact File. Not sure what brands you have in the UK but you may be able to cross one to what you have available.

http://www.espritfactfile.com/indexs.html

Click on "support" then "parts" and "x-reference"

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

Hi and thanks all,

Well Kylie (BTW I'm great thanks for asking), here in Norway anything to do with calling some mobile mechanic, plumber, electrician, yes even a doctor to your house - will cost you a week's wages in additional travel time, transport expenses, phone charges, overtime, dirty-work fee, disposable Personal Protective Equipment, laundry ticket, tool-surcharge, vehicle tax, subsistence and VAT.....better to buy a new car. Believe me, the hourly rate for a regular mechanic in this country is 150 USD. Not kidding. The local car-equipment store here advised they could source a match if I brought on the old one.

I think however another parts store has the S4 ones listed. Gonna make a new effort tomorrow...

Thanks for all the good leads!

lo.jpg

AELLEF_Esprit_27.jpg